PDA

View Full Version : another trick of the trade that I need taught to me :D

Skinner3D
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
The attached image shows as far as I have gotten with my current model. I used splines and patching for the basic shape, then subdivided it to get the extra geometry I needed for details.
Is there a way to decrease the density of the mesh now? It just seems like I could clear out a lot of the excess polygons. I tried both Polygon reduction functions, but one turns it into tris, and the other creates holes in the mesh.
It just seems like creating/joining the body to my head mesh is going to be difficult with that dense mesh.
In hindsight I think that I should have tried to model the whole model, then subdivided it, but I have to work with what I have done :)
thanks in advance :)

nickdigital
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Cool looking head but not to be a downer I think your polyflow needs to be revisited. Your eyes and mouth areas don't look to lend themselves to easy animation.

Look at this wireframe:
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107736

You want those mouth and eye areas to use loops.

I would use the head that you have now as a reference and rebuild the mouth and eyes areas. Once those areas are well modeled/defined you could then build out to the rest of the head. This way you can control how dense your mesh gets. It looks like you started with a box and kept cutting and beveling to add resolution.

The head looks cool though. :thumbsup:

Ernest
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
One good side effect of the current geometry flow is that it's extremely bandglueable. You should have no problem eliminating 2/3 of the polys with just bandglue.

gerry_g
04-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Don't use splines waste of time start with a box well actually start with what you like but anything but splines, yup a lotta people will disagree with that but life's too short for splines, How to get rid of the excess, – 1 Bandglue would be first thought (under 'Construct' tab<Reduce<More) just select a polly from each of the two adjacent rows you want to merge into one and hit the button. – or 2 try Dissolve (from the same menu strip) it will dissolve the border between two adjacent pollys or any number that are adjacent to one another you care to select.

SplineGod
04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Im going to disagree strongly about the splines. :)
Like anything else using them properly gets good results.
Generally with splines I notice that sometimes people use too many. I keep it simple and patch with very few polys.
Later Ill rely on subpatches and other tools to add in the details.
My first goal with spline is to get the basic form and flow and then detail using subpatches.
Its easier to build up to the details that way then to try and reduce details after that fact.

gerry_g
04-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Yup it was you I had a mental image of at the back of my mind as I wrote that, each to their own I guess.

jasonwestmas
04-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Anything that is a deeper pocket like eyes and mouth need to have circular edge-loops in key areas. Otherwise you are not going to be able get smooth transitions and detailed creases between polygons.

sampei
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Im going to disagree strongly about the splines. :)
Like anything else using them properly gets good results.
Generally with splines I notice that sometimes people use too many. I keep it simple and patch with very few polys.
Later Ill rely on subpatches and other tools to add in the details.
My first goal with spline is to get the basic form and flow and then detail using subpatches.
Its easier to build up to the details that way then to try and reduce details after that fact.
absolutely agreed, I find that its the most intuitive and logical way to start something complex like a head, once the patching is done I can start refining the mesh and even create a body via edge extrusion. For less complex parts like feet and hands, point by point/detail up or even box modeling is fine.. imho :)

Andyjaggy
04-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Don't use splines waste of time

Well that's incredibly bad advice. :) I use them similarly to splinegod. For patching out the basic shape and to get a nice curvature with good polyflow. Patch them with a low amount of polygons and then do your typical subdivision modeling.

I also wouldn't use them on an organic mesh like this. They work best for flowing mechanical models. Like cars etc...

digefxgrp
04-05-2010, 04:39 PM
:agree:

Splines and nurbs are very useful for both hard and soft body object creation. I don't leave home without 'em.

Skinner3D
04-06-2010, 01:11 PM
LOL thanks all for the help :D

nickdigital - :D I hadn't even thought about animating it facially, but I see what you mean about that poly flow. It might be worth restarting this project.

Ernest and gerryG - Bandglue is exactly what I was looking for in this scenario. I knew I was missing something easy :foreheads

I have done point by point modeling /extrusion, but seeing as my last project was a kayak and I used splines, I just sort of extended that method to this project :D

Well its back to the thought board for me to see which of these methods will be most effective for this project :D

Mr Big
04-06-2010, 08:52 PM
For that kind of model you may want to look at 3D Coat. Using displacement mapping
for detail, instead of geometry. Great looking model.

Skinner3D
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
:D 3D coat would be really nice right now, but I am a little short on the cash end of things :)
That and FPrime are the next two softwares that I really need to get at some point.