PDA

View Full Version : Question About Computer Configuration

mhdixon
04-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Greetings All:

I am not exactly sure which forum is the appropriate one for this question, so if this is not the right one I apologize. I am a bit of a lurker and a Lightwave amateur. I am going on sabbatical next year so I will have a change to indulge myself a little and become more proficient (I hope). My question concerns the appropriate hardware to best take advantage of Lightwave and other 3D packages that I have. I have the luxury of being able to build an 'ideal' machine so here is what my research has yielded.

Motherboard: Asus P6T7
Processor: Intel Core i&-975
Power: Corsair CMPSU 850 Watt
Hard Drives: 4 Samsung Spinpoint F3EG 2 TB
ATI 100-505554 FirePro V8700
Plus the rest of the components...

Is this overkill for Lightwave (if such a thing is possible)?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark H. Dixon

Sensei
04-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Bought last Tuesday Asus P6T with Core i7 930 2.8 GHz for 860 usd, and working very nicely. 350% speedup in rendering in comparison to f.e. Athlon X2 6000..
Your's setup should be 20% faster than mine.
Personally I wouldn't buy ATI gfx card, but nVidia.

Riff_Masteroff
04-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Well, you have made decent choices in you puter configuration. Importantly, for LW use, many recommend a graphics card with strong Open GL drivers (open graphics language). With that in mind, Sensei is correct: nVidia has the edge. Also screen space is an important consideration, I use dual 24" monitors. Not a luxury. Btw: no need for dual graphics cards with a proprietary microsoft direct X gaming setup. Excellent CPU choice, stick with that but make sure you provide adequate cooling. If you are going to use Win7, double the RAM and add one small solid state HD.

Sensei
04-03-2010, 09:53 PM
If money is no problem go for dual-cpu motherboard allowing to put two Xeon familly 55xx. The best is 5590, cost 1720 usd.
http://www.shopbot.ca/pp-intel-xeon-w5590-intel-price-192207.html
So it's something like 3850 usd for cpu+mb, but will be running like two i7-975.

BTW, actually OpenGL means Open Graphics Library.

JCG
04-04-2010, 01:34 AM
The i7 975 probably isn't the best choice unless you're in a great hurry. It's around $950 in most places. The i7 980x is less than $1100 in most places. So for about $150, you get two extra cores of just a bit better performance each and a bit less power consumption overall. The only problem with the 980x is that it constantly runs out of stock. If you can afford the time to hunt it down, it seems like a much better choice in your price range by any criteria.

JonW
04-04-2010, 03:47 AM
The W5590 are old now get a pair X5680 CPUs if money is no object, 24 cores in one box & 50% faster.

I would shove in an SSD for the OS & to use for your main working files (current Job).

When pricing a new box never look at the price of the CPU on its own. Look at the box as a whole including all the software & the inconvenience of setting up the whole box. The more expensive CPUs start looking more economical.

If you are looking at the high end i7 go for the i7 980, you will have 6 cores, or 12 threads. You will be able to over clock these & have a box that will be 60% the speed of a pair of X5680 CPUs.