PDA

View Full Version : Joining 2 boxes together, then subpatching

Tails
09-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Hi,

Newbie Tails here :) I started learning Lightwave with a short course just over a month ago, and love it! For a little while now though, I've been totally stuck on how to do this...

If I have a cube with 2 segments on every side for example, and want to connect it to a cube with just 1 segment on every side, and then subpatch it, how would I do that?

The four point triangle is perfect for flat surfaces, but creates a weird look when used on 3D cubes. Any thoughts?

The idea being I can have an arm with just one segment, then attach a hand with loads of segments for the fingers onto it. I'm aiming to animate the whole thing though, so I'd really rarther subpatch than freeze.

Thanks VERY much!!

munky
09-10-2003, 05:24 AM
if you stroll over to www.yahlls.com there are some downloadable pdf tuts about adding or removing detail from your meshes. They are very easy to understand (even I understood it first time) and will be just what you need. Stuff like how to go from three polys down to one and viceversa. Very useful.

regards

paul

Mylenium
09-10-2003, 05:28 AM
I don't think you're on the right track here. You would have to stitch things manually by building polygons from point selections. This is the only way to control the flow of the surface and have as many 4 point polys as possible. Tools like extender and bridge are making this task a bit easier. Another way would be to start with a simple subdivided box and then bevel out faces for the arms. These can then be refined further by cu´tting them with the knive.

Mylenium

munky
09-10-2003, 05:44 AM
Is this the sort of thing you want to do?

regards

paul

Tails
09-10-2003, 06:19 AM
Yeah first I created the body out of a cube with 3 segments all around (legs, arms, head). But when I reached the hand I was like... oh! I tried the Knife tool, but it seems pretty tricky to get right with subpatching.

This is a photo of the hand (subpatched bottom, not top). The fingers are good, but if I could make them connect to the palm perfectly, that'd be great.

Do you think the tutorials on there would help with that?

Thanks again :)

munky
09-10-2003, 08:00 AM
ah you need

www.tonyg2k.com/tutorials/LW6/Model/SubPatch_Model.htm

tony gilchrist has a stack of tutorials the link above is all about sub patch modelling a hand. Check it out.

paul

Tom Wood
09-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Thank you for that link. Maybe I'm just dense, but I'm having trouble understanding how smoothshift and subpatch work together. Something special happened at step four:

"4. Now deselect those polygons (?), and select the two on the opposite side. Smooth Shift them a distance of "0" by simply activating the smooth shift tool (Shift F) and clicking on any view port (when you click without dragging like this, you’re entering a value of "0")."

This created the appearance of extra points along the edge of the larger four point polygons that make the palm. But those points aren't really there. In the image below the red arrows point to the 'nonpoints' while the blue circles show the actual points. The non-points (which can't be highlighted) are important because if they existed on the edge of the larger polygon, it couldn't be subpatched. But as shown in the image at the bottom, it can be. So what is going on here? I'm just trying to grasp the underlying concept.

Tom

munky
09-10-2003, 05:43 PM
hi tom

I think that when you scaled the smoothshifted polys you must have moved them across each other so the top pols are flipped so you can't see them. The points you describe must be the outer edges of the two inner polys. which in your diagram are moved out. the outer fingers are made frome the sides of the box and shifting by 0 means that they face forwards instead of out at an angle ( as in the lower pictures).
try making it again but shift out the polys a little when you smoothshift so you can see how it works. Hopefully the diagram below will make sense. I'm afraid I don't know how the subpatching works in relationship to points but think of them as suddenly wanting to push away ffrom each other but being held by elastic bands so points that are on the same plane will spread apart hence the top polys 1 and 2 ( in the diagram) are suddenly seen when you subpatch the object.

hope this makes some sense

regards

paul

Tom Wood
09-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Thanks Paul,

That makes perfect sense. It's creating a flattened box when smooth shifting with a 0 offset. I did the same thing, just showed it differently to ask the question. Cool tool.

TW

Tails
09-14-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks, the hand is coming along real well now!