PDA

View Full Version : what is subpatch per object level?

transistor
04-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey everyone,

Can anyone explain this setting to me?

http://www.thebinary.net/images/sub_setting.jpg

1 - per object level
2 - per polygon level
3 - pixels per polygon

Can anyone give me a quick explanation of what these do exactly? Or maybe just shoot me a link to some kind of explanation/tutorial?

I know that when I select "pixels per polygon" it significantly reduces the number of polygons in my sub-patched objects and speeds up the render. The output looks pretty decent... so it seems cool... but I just wanted to know what it's "doing" and "why." Thanks!

sampei
04-03-2010, 02:53 AM
from the manual, these are the additional settings for subD objects in layout:
"per object" consists in having the same subdivision level for the entire mesh
"per polygon" sets the subdivision level per each polygon belonging to the cage mesh independently (variable subdivision)
"pixels per polygon" ties the amount of pixels of the output frame to the subdivision level of the cage polygons. For example a setting of 4 means that a given polygon will have an area no larger than 4 pixels.

sampei
04-03-2010, 02:58 AM
forgot to mention that this is important to Adaptive Pixel Subdivision, which basically allows you to have a very flexible subdision at render time, which can be driven by a texture or even enveloped. You might want to check out the relevant video tutorials in the training video section :)