PDA

View Full Version : Tea time...

Chris3D
04-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Modeled and rendered this for a product shot sample. The real teapot costs $50 :eek: so I took my camera to Bed Bath and Beyond and took a bunch of photos, much to the curiosity of staff and fellow shoppers. All Sub-D's, and just 2 reflectors for the environment.

Pretty simple, but it was an enjoyable challenge to both model and surface/light.

sampei
04-02-2010, 09:39 AM
jeez 50 for a teapot ?
the metal is convincingh ;)

Iain
04-02-2010, 09:46 AM
The real teapot costs $50 :eek: so I took my camera to Bed Bath and Beyond and took a bunch of photos,

You'll have trouble making tea with a photograph but hey, if it saves you $50!

Nice renders.

Kuzey
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Super model :thumbsup:

Post a wireframe if you can.

Kuzey

probiner
04-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Thats the beauty of being able to make 3d models. You may not have them, but you can dream about them with glossy renders with the sensation that we made them :D (Did the same for the Iphone)

Good job

WilliamVaughan
04-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Impressive work. I love the lighting and surfacing....spot on!

Waves of light
04-02-2010, 01:48 PM
Very nice render. Would love to see some wires.

Chris3D
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the comments, here's a screen grab of Modeler showing the wire frame.

The main body was tricky since it needed to have the opening cut out of the top at an angle. Cutting on an angle on a symmetrical lathed shape would have ended up with several 3 point polygons that wouldn't smooth nicely. And since this needed to be chrome, it had to be perfectly smooth. I ended up lathing the body, cutting it several times at decreasing angles between the top and the base, and then using those cuts as reference to rebuild the body by extending a round polygon.

BeeVee
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Wow, very cool model!

B

Larry_g1s
04-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Really nicely modeled and lit.

brunopeixoto
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Lovely modeling - simple and clean!!!!

Waves of light
04-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Wow, the wires show just how clean the model is. Well done.

Chris3D
04-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone, yea, I'm pretty anal when it comes to clean geometry... :)

Shnoze Shmon
04-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Nice job!

What I haven't figured out about this $50 teapot is the leverage for opening the spout. It looks like you have to grab the lid handle and if that's the case a manager needs to be fired for not firing the engineer who developed a poorly thought out design. And they both need to be forced to scald their hands like the unwitting customers who use the product.

Ok now that I've enjoyed blasting a couple of people I'll never meet, someone needs to embarrass me by pointing out whatever obvious detail I failed to observe. :D But that's ok cuz I got to enjoy engaging in excessive, unnecessary hyper criticism without bothering to really research the matter properly.

While this great render is nicely reflective the above does not reflect upon the render or the artist.;)

Chris3D
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Nice job!

Thanks!

What I haven't figured out about this $50 teapot is the leverage for opening the spout. It looks like you have to grab the lid handle and if that's the case a manager needs to be fired for not firing the engineer who developed a poorly thought out design. And they both need to be forced to scald their hands like the unwitting customers who use the product.

It's actually a cool design. The handle pivots on the higher connection point but isn't connected to the lower one. When you lift it, the weight of the kettle causes the handle to pivots automatically, which causes the front point of the handle to pull back on the upper part of the spout cap, which pivots on the lower point, opening the cap. It's pretty slick... but I still wouldn't pay $50 for it :p.