PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion box

TheDeacon
04-01-2010, 10:31 PM
since you folks have so many ideas- i figured we start things out by you having one place to offer your initial thoughts and suggestions. constructive criticism is what i'm looking for... or props! feel free to tell us what we are doing right or wrong in your eyes. let your voice be heard, as long as you articulate your points with the substance, intelligence and respect that you expect to receive in return.

have at it!

hrgiger
04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
Well, Intuition suggested you change the forums to display key work or Lightwave news/new products/plug-ins, etc... (front page). I'd have to agree with that.

Would love to see regular image/animation contests. It might be a good idea to not restrict them to soley LW users. You might get some new users out of it if you use Newtek products as prizes.

Would also like to see you promote competive discounts to users of other software. You may already offer this, I'm not sure. But that's just it, I'm not sure. Make it known if you do.

realgray
04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Welcome aboard. I love Intuitions suggestion of a "Top Row". I want to see the communities best Lightwave work from TV, Film, Archviz positioned at the top of the forum. (regularly updated)

h2oStudios
04-01-2010, 11:39 PM
April Fools?

dballesg
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
since you folks have so many ideas- i figured we start things out by you having one place to offer your initial thoughts and suggestions. constructive criticism is what i'm looking for... or props! feel free to tell us what we are doing right or wrong in your eyes. let your voice be heard, as long as you articulate your points with the substance, intelligence and respect that you expect to receive in return.

have at it!

Hi David,

A suggestion to this box :D, will be make it a sticky (maybe?) and add a similar thread on the HC section of the forums.

David

probiner
04-02-2010, 12:11 AM

have at it!

uuhhh... you have so many threads to read :D

I bet this one will be full, wish you patience and good spirit.

DBMiller
04-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Welcome aboard. I love Intuitions suggestion of a "Top Row". I want to see the communities best Lightwave work from TV, Film, Archviz positioned at the top of the forum. (regularly updated)

Yes, more work on display!:thumbsup:

Nicolas Jordan
04-02-2010, 07:07 AM
I would like to mention that I know many non Lightwave users were impressed with this motorcycle concept by Tim Cameron that was shown at Siggraph http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profile_detail.php?recordID=58. The sexy physical model is what initially caught the attention of many people. Just wanted to point this out as it may help to know what will catch peoples attention at shows like this.

OnlineRender
04-02-2010, 07:13 AM
what we are doing right or wrong in your eyes.
have at it!

*chuckle*

I'll quote Jin for speed " Bring the freak'in Sexy ."

d1wojo
04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
I don't post often but this is well worth posting to.
1. Updated gallery with great work form the community, tv, film, print, ect..
2. Contest
3. Advanced training. For example take a clip from a movie and do a walk through on how it can be recreated. I learn through examples, others may learn other ways.
Just a few ideas I have. :)

Thanks

Andrewstopheles
04-02-2010, 07:58 AM
NT needs to take advantage of developments in marketing that have occurred in the last ten years:

Press releases are getting done.
RSS feeds are there.
Jay's got a Twitter account (needs to use it more).
The Facebook page is up.

Some of these things look like they were thrown up without a lot of thought or planning. As a rule of thumb you just don't use them until there's a specific reason to. Then you plug the crap out of them.

Blender used a couple of community developed short films to promote their product. Then leveraged them to their fullest.
Autodesk made their products tops in every school, everywhere. Students got used to it and saw no need to change. A long term strategy that has paid off in big ways. And they stuck to it over many years.

Either copy them, or innovate. I've seen signs of innovation. The CORE reveal with it's puzzles and secrets was superb, but the reveal video was poorly done. But the puzzle part created a lot of buzz and video killed it.

I'll add more later, I've got to do some work.

SBowie
04-02-2010, 08:20 AM
April Fools?No, it's legit.

UnCommonGrafx
04-02-2010, 08:54 AM
<Serious preachy mode>
As an old fart around here, not in hollywood or the like, yet heavy user and teacher of the tool called Lightwave, I really want YOU to show US what you understand of Lightwave. When i see the likes of Larry Schultz kevetching and moaning, when I see new shortcuts added to core that are alien to the normal user --thus causing great angst, when I see the likes of LipService coming out for Maya and there being very little memory of its inception in working with lightwave, I wonder where all the "institutional" memory has gone.

For that matter, where is all that code that has been made for LW that makes it what it is/was: keytrak, updates to morphmixer and motionmixer? That guy left the fold. Now goes DPont. Joe left in a frikkin' huff at the dev of Lightwave3D back in the day... I bring all this crap up to say, what some of us have experienced of LW, the future doesn't really compare as we experience it today.
From testbed of the complicated to ignored in the rags. What a 'sad' ending we've come to... as it were.

Fix some of the crud from the above. Better said, all that was, make it pale in comparison to what we will actually be using. Core, the Base, is a clever start. But look above: even with a 'crappy' codebase, a whole bunch of clever ****e was made with the code.
</Serious preachy mode>

Welcome to the fold. You've got a great job if you make it so. Thanks for stepping up.

sampei
04-02-2010, 09:53 AM
what I really would like to see is more training videos from William Vaughan !!! but that's just not gonna happen, as probably the next training we see will be core videos..
Oh and another thing, I was over to XSI base and they have a sort of "interview page" with famous XSI users (Julianna Kolakis etc). I was impressed, so why not make a page with the best lightwave users or companies profiles ?? come on there's loads of cool people that deserve one after promoting LightWave for so many years with their awesome work! I'm thinking William Vaughan, Splinegod, Rob Powers, rebelhill Infinite, Iain, ten24, Steve Warner, Tim Albee, ARK and there's so many others ! just a thought, but I really liked how on that XSI website the software was promoted by its users. It makes perfect sense to me :)

wsantiago
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Truth and Honesty will be nice.

Lewis
04-02-2010, 04:56 PM
what I really would like to see is more training videos from William Vaughan !!! but that's just not gonna happen, as probably the next training we see will be core videos..
Oh and another thing, I was over to XSI base and they have a sort of "interview page" with famous XSI users (Julianna Kolakis etc). I was impressed, so why not make a page with the best lightwave users or companies profiles ??

Hmmm, isn't that on Lw pages since forever :)? NTEurope has it's pages since 2002 - http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/index.html
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/profile_master.php

h2oStudios
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Here's one. Have/Convince Newtek to hire Denis Pontonnier for Plugin development. :thumbsup:

DragonFist
04-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Survey, survey, survey! Not just the old dogs, but students, industry people. Surveys designed to find what buttons to push. Then push them -- on the site, in the newsletter in ads, etc.

sampei
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
haha cheers Lewis, obviously Ive never noticed that before ;)

juniordebo
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM
A 'downloads' section would be nice.

To include: lscripts, plug-ins, textures, rigs, and a showcase section with news from the industry. There are many studios doing great things with LightWave and some of it can be found on the under the LightWave section on the NewTek main page but not in the forums area.

A user group section that is setup on the forum page themselves or under a separate tab.

realgray
04-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Oooh didn't think of that. A downloads section would be awesome. Similar to what Modo/Houdini does.

robertn2k
04-02-2010, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=Andrewstopheles;1004745
Autodesk made their products tops in every school, everywhere. Students got used to it and saw no need to change. A long term strategy that has paid off in big ways. And they stuck to it over many years. [/QUOTE]

Need to get Lightwave back into the schools even if you have to give away seats for computer labs at $30 a seat. In the current budget crisis facing schools cheaper wins....bang for the buck wins. Lightwave at all levels and versions need to have better integration with Adobe products. The biggest challenge I face at my University is not from Autodesk, it's Cinema 4D with it's extremely tight integration with After Effects. The Pros that contribute to our program and provide internship opps for our students insist our kids have Avid, Final Cut, Photoshop and After Effects experience. 3D is a bonus but it's becoming harder and harder for me to justify keeping LW when Cinema 4D has found it's way into ESPN and other places. Add to that the Mograph app built into 4D that has become the darling of creating motion graphics and the cards are getting stacked against me. Lightwave use to have 3D Arsenal but that program remains in limbo. You've got educators like me fighting the good fight but we need help.

GraphXs
04-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Here's my list of where I would like to see LW go.

-Weekly/Bi-Weekly updated a Lightwave art banner like CGTalk or Spinquad. Maybe u can just take Final Art from the User gallery for the weekly updates. (Like the M&M's or Crashing cars with the girl/boy kissing,etc,etc)
-Working with Spinquad, Kurv, CGTalk, ILW User Group as a sponsor, or showing off more LW work.
-More LW 9x demo's.
-More interaction with all the plugin developers in the newsletter or in general, maybe contract them to work on Core?
-Working with Keystone/Unity w/Lightwave as a complete solution for games.
-GDC booth showing off the Unity workflow. Deals w/keystone and Unity.
-Have some more demos on TV/Movie based talks at Siggraph. Jarrod stuff was great! I could see BSG stuff or Avatar stuff being demoed, and even showing off the pipeline with Max, Maya, XSI, etc. Show that LW can play nice with the other packages!
-Fixing 9.6.x or HC animated radiosity and have Radiosity pre-sets like V-Ray.
-Show how fast/nice LW render is using a movie/tv show.
-Show off w/plugins how nice render passes are.
-More ads and interviews in Mags, HDRI, 3D World, etc,etc.
-Youtube, Facebook, twitter, vimeo, etc,etc.
-Yes, back into schools!

I could think of more but that's all for now.

Dexter2999
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
All videos on one page organized/grouped in chunks. Perhaps have an option to download all videos in a given group as a zip/rar/stuffit file.

www.lw3d.com redirects to the Lightwave product page not the Newtek homepage.
More stress on the Lightwave less on the Newtek logo on the Lightwave product page.

After the flash video on the Lightwave product page a flash series of testimonials with headshots of industry professionals. Perhaps artistically composited with an example of their work.

Even if you have to buy a professional template step up the quality of the web page. This means not just the layout but the artwork needs to maintain the impression that it is "first rate". I'm not saying that it doesn't look professional, but look at Autodesk sites, Apple sites, etc.. There's professional, then there's "wow". You need to find that "wow" factor. Even as a template something like this http://www.templatehelp.com/preset/pr_preview.php?i=21181&pr_code=IT413LEPOuSWxBao6GpQ9uXh3qk454 looks like a step in the right direction.

While I applaud being forward thinking, I also encourage html only options so the site can be viewed through corporate IT systems that may not have all the bells and whistles or something like an iPhone.

Any presentations need to be scripted and rehearsed. If you need to get a professional/experienced video director then get one. Hopefully snafu's can get caught in the dress rehearsals rather than at air time.

I wouldn't kill myself trying to promote CORE. At this point it is more the embryo and less the monolith from 2010: A Space Odyssey. It is just a peek at where things are going.

A section that prominently features links to LW community sites, training, and product partners that take where LW leaves off like Realflow, Volumedic, exrTrader, etc...

That's all I got for now.

Congratulations on your new job and best of luck!

wsi
04-06-2010, 07:52 AM
My adivce:
Don't listen too much to the community-talk. But instead find yourself a vision where to go with lightwave and pursue this vision with determination and consistency.

Don't follow them, but let them follow you.

TheDeacon
04-06-2010, 09:14 AM
My adivce:
Don't listen too much to the community-talk. But instead find yourself a vision where to go with lightwave and pursue this vision with determination and consistency.

I like what you are saying... I am determined to consistently communicate NewTek's vision of the future of LightWave 3D to the masses.

but......

Communication is a two way street. This is a community, and I am a part of it, just like you are.

My vision of LightWave's future includes all of you, so why would I not listen to what you have to say? ;)

GandB
04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Deacon,

If you haven't seen this discussion; check it out:

New Gallery and Top Row for NewTek Boards (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107023)

-Keith

sampei
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
My vision of LightWave's future includes all of you, so why would I not listen to what you have to say? ;)
absolutely I like this approach, sounds like democracy to me :D

caesar
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Need to get Lightwave back into the schools ...

I´d suggest a new edu version price= US100 for the LW 9.6 only or US 195 for the LWHC/CORE and Hardcore. (The basic Houdini is US 95). People won´t profit from it, it´s just a better way to make it attractive for newcomers and people who are curious.

For U$100 for LWHC or U$195 for LWHC and Hardcore I think a lot of people will jump right away!
It´s easy= it´ll not empt people´s pocket, the Rob powers/avatar/vad in NT is teasing people´s curiosity.

They´ll evaluate the software, if they doesnt like it, no problem, just lost 100/195, if they like they´ll study/familiarize with a new app and in 6 months they can upgrade for a full license, ie, NT has a new client!

shrox
04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Cats.

We like cats.

Perhaps NewTek could become active in some way regarding shelters and the adoption of cats. Maybe at a trade show NewTek could donate XX% of those proceeds to a local shelter and hang a banner promoting that.

wsi
04-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Ok, agreed.

Then I wish for one thing: A more active presence of Newtek/Lightwave in Germany/Europe. Actually I was really surprises seeing Proton on the FMX several years ago. And that was the only presence of Newtek in Germany/Europe I ever saw at all!

Maxon f.e. sponsors contests in communities, supplies special deals for schools and universities, organizes "Maxon user days" and so on. Besides that many people use Cinema 4D, because it is available in many languages (software and manual). Cinema is well known, whereas most 3D artists never even heard of Lightwave. After showing them Lightwave - especially in conjunction with FPrime and sIBL - they are often astonished and honestly wonder why they never heard of it.

Maybe Newtek Europe could strengthen it's presence in Europe? Nowadays rumors are, that Newtek isn't interested in the german market at all. If so, forget my posting :-)

MrWyatt
04-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Maybe not the right platform for NT to show presence?
Guess the show floor is too small, but that in turn means a small booth (desk) would be enough, just to remind people of this certain company and tool...
Of course siggraph is a lot cooler. :o

Strangely AD, Adobe, NVidia, AMD, Houdini, Luxology, The Foundry and so on think it's worth showing up (http://fmx.de/partners.E.3.html) (as partners, sponsors; luxology even does some modo presentations...). Guess NT simply plays in a different league. What league that is? No idea. I seriously don't get it. But I repeat myself. Year after year after year... :)

Impressions:
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/work/VFXAnimation-Heavyweights-to-Descend-on-Stuttgart-for-FMX_8006.html
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=493821

The thing itself, this year's program:
http://fmx.de/program.E.2.html or a short conclusion of the programme http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5591&referer=rss. Sounds tasty to me, but taste differs. Wouldn't be surprised if NT simply prefers other venues and does not like the sound of the german language. Then again, who does? :D And on the other hand, who'd believe that german is the primary language spoken on an event of this magnitude?
And don't get me wrong, I admit the numbers of LW copies sold would definitely go towards ... hm... 0 (pretty sure), but if NTs management thinks selling is the only reason to go to shows like that, there is a huge misunderstanding. Sometimes it's all about representin', but well, money in and no (direct) money out does not sound attractive, I understand that. If an in-depth overview of the venue is wanted, Mike Wolf, me, David Maas (who actually called NTE a few years back and asked them if they want to be on the list of supporters - lead to a NTE logo on the sponsors wall, and I assume NTE was not even aware of that, lol, so much about LW users doing the marketing for NT) and a few others could probably give a pretty good overview and solid tipps on (IF!) how to show up and behave. I'll try to take a camcorder this year and hope to give an impression why (regarding europe) missing FMX is a mistake. Maybe it's as simple as the assumption that europe is a sort of developing country in the field of CGI, but I know for sure that NT is not that naive. Ah well... g'night. :)

couldn't agree more. Simply put: Get your fanny's up and go to fmx NT.

Nemoid
04-11-2010, 01:36 AM
To all great ideas other users said, i would add some spare things

1) contents are very important. Not only newtek, if possible should go to shows like siggraph, fmx, GDC, because presence is important but should show the more compelling contents: good characters and animations, movie sequences and so on. The better things new users see, the better they understand the app is. Plain simple.:)

For example: the CORE reveal was not received well both because it was poor and too early made but also because it showed too simplistic things. People likes great examples showing cool things. So for example a realistic character would have a different impact.
3D is visual art so give people great visuals

this is for example a quite good unveil vid http://media.fxguide.com/fxguidetv/fxguidetv-ep078.mov could be even better if it involved a cool artist, but...look at the contents !

2) Consistency. Everywhere. As someone said, all the different web channels need to be used into consistent continuative and fresh way. same can happen for design through the website and other channels, brochures and more.

3) IMO we need an improved gallery in the website, still images and video gallery too, (same for tutorial and feature vids) with thumbnails. make the still images gallery dynamic so that it is more fun and rapid to visit. for example http://www.3d-coat.com/gallery/ shows a good method, but there are also different solutions you can find and evaluate.
Videos and maybe podcasts can be made also for interviews.

Nemoid
04-11-2010, 11:02 AM
LOL forums are a place to discuss, not perfect place to show , since things get buried by posts from users. you can show through website (and the most visually you do that, the better) and add forum discussion to it, as it happens to be for newsletters, which i find quite well done, recently. You can notice Nt efforts.:thumbsup:

Another thing i wanted to add is that the transition LW 9.6 ----> CORE is very important from marketing POV.
I think the impression people should have is that Lw is pretty capable, but CORE will do wonders.
The problem is how to avoid CORE to eclipse Classic LW at a certain point? :D

p.s. hey just found that "classic" Lw is not a bad term related to it, maybe it explains well that Lw is traditional (whitout saying old) and CORE modern. Ok it's just me :D

htsoft
04-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I say simply: "Be concrete!"

h2oStudios
05-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Not sure if this was mentioned before; How about a User-Created-Tutorial-Section, kind of/but not quite, like the old LW tut section, but as a forum-section? Where all of our free video tuts and such where we explain things and help others can be placed nice and tidily in a section of their own.

*edited statement retracted for reasons that need not be explained here* :D

3D Kiwi
05-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Simple as that. Have everything that is released about Lightwave or core, checked for quality, set a standard and stick to it. Core reveal was great untill it was revealed. Only ever show the best.

G-Man
07-25-2010, 09:22 AM
The Lightwave site is really nice and it started off with a bang, but there really has not been many updates, especially to the Profiles. More video profiles on companies like the 300 and 24 pieces. It would be great to see a video on Nick Digital Studios.

I guess what I'm sayin' is...keep it refreshed.

Soth
07-31-2010, 08:42 AM
I would recommend new better version of suggestion box, you guys should do something similar to Dell http://www.ideastorm.com/ where people can not only put ideas but comment and review them, and there is awesome voting system too. The idea is awesome and it would be great to have one for NewTek products.

It would be great if we would have xxx best ideas for user interface, for rendering system intechange of formats and 100 best ideas and people would vote, you can limit voting to customers only and connect to register.newtek.com or to forum users or just do another independent system.

JELLAQTP
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Hi. I'm buying lightwave finally for my company. I'm from Colombia and really don't know how good sales are on Latin America, but I really think distribution for LA can be better.

Even with a direct reseller, it's better to buy directly to Newtek or to one of the catalog resellers. Reseller prices are so high that they can go up even a 100%

It's funny/sad but I am really "fighting" to get the program. So I hope NT get's a direct selling or downloadable products, or something.

Don't know if other countries have the same problems.

Thanks.

Nemoid
08-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Hi NT guys i would like to thank you for making a good job at Siggraph 2010. Vids from this year edition are very good and present the app the way it deserves. BTW be sure not to bury them in subsection in websites, because they deserve to be seen. Put them front page as more as possible please. :thumbsup:
looking forward for the next newsletter to know even more news about Lw 10.
cheers and thanks again!

SaturnX
09-03-2010, 05:12 AM
Hi, I just wanted to give a mention on Flay-dot-com
Flay in my opinion is one of the LW communitys unsong heros.
It's been going for years, and has always been a strong resource for everything Lightwave related, whether it be the latest LW news, plugin developments (both free and commercial), job opportunities, etc etc, and it relays news on other software and industry news.

I've noticed Flay has had no news updates since May. (I'm hoping this is not a bad thing)
Now considering we've had siggraph come and go and LW10 coming out soon... Perhaps Flay.com could use alittle NewTek loving?

zapper1998
09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
setting up screamernet for HC tutorial would be nice

erikals
09-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Here's one. Have/Convince Newtek to hire Denis Pontonnier for Plugin development. :thumbsup:

that'd be Gold! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/king.gif

erikals
09-06-2010, 05:02 AM
Welcome aboard. I love Intuitions suggestion of a "Top Row"

yep, i did a thread some time back, and the conclusion was that that was something wavers wanted.

jitterbug
11-01-2010, 02:14 AM
thought I`d post this to share,

I`m new to 3D have been dabbling with blender, wow what a cool software and its free !. I love the compositor and sequencer, great to learn 3d without dishing out a huge chunk of cash to start with.

With the feedback from this forum i`ll be getting LW10 to start, then perhaps modo in a year or two..Modo has not so good animation, bones and skinning or particles...

[Edit: I'm sorry, but - as a new member - you may not have realized that some of the content in this post stepped across forum moderation lines, specifically in connection with "Promotional messages and material for competing products". Please see Forum Moderation Guidelines (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63918). Some content removed by moderator.]

jitterbug
11-02-2010, 02:20 AM
oops sorry !. won`t do it again... I`m getting LW10 anyway, I think I posted it because the topic was "suggestion box" and I wanted LW staff to be up to date with what was happening with other products as a suggestion, (in hindsight I should realize that obviously they would know already !!). =D Thankyou,,

SBowie
11-02-2010, 05:36 AM
No worries ... :)

Jockomo
02-02-2011, 07:33 AM
How about you guys go fix the damned 9.6.1 zip file, where you FAILED to include the installer (for over a freaking year).

You guys promised us an update. Is it really to much to ask for you guys to follow through on that?

bodeci
02-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Well as one of the people who are fairly new to 3d modeling with a gaming back ground,myself and a couple of friends decieded to give a go at creating a few games. Something ive noticed about most of the others free or small cost besides you get what you pay for is they do have alot more import and export files maybe adding more export forms to our modler and layout as so we dont have to use multipple programs to export to common gaming engines. .x and .b3d are two i know would make my life easier

jasonwestmas
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Maybe dig into the new features AND improvements of LW 10 a bit more, no matter how small. Clearly define how to use them and what they are with videos. All too often I don't even know an improvement has been made because I'm not able to quickly filter out old news from the new news. It's all garbled together in the readme and HC announcements.

samspruce
02-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Well I have a think. It is this: Is it possible to do feedback in LightWave? I am a complete novice but what I would like to do would be to use a camera to render an image and to use the image rendered as the next source. For example using the rendered image as the back ground and having the camera slightly rotated might generate something akin to video feedback. Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could be done and/or would it be simple from the programming side to implement it?

(Incidentally I would like to know how I get my free upgrade to Version 10 but that is an aside because I don't know where to go to ask.)

Lots of love, Sam

dblincoe
06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Would like to see better/updated/more powerful UV tools. Deformation Lattices. Fluid simulation. Also, on more than one occasion I have needed a way to apply a series of commands over all of the layers of an object (individually). It would be nice to set up macros that can be run. I.e. poly reduce layer, flip normals, assign surface...repeat on next layer.

Would make brining objects from other sources a little less tedious during the cleaning up stage.

bassmanjam
08-03-2011, 07:03 PM
I sure would love a pick-whip or some intuitive way to select things (i.e. reparenting or changing the "Use Bones From Object" to update clones).

Oh, and separately, I love in Nuke how you can hit Tab and start typing the node you want. I don't remember what menu and sub-menu it lives in. I just remember the name of the node. I know you can Edit>Menus and search for the command, but that's not fun.

jasonwestmas
10-07-2011, 02:08 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=122848

jrjohannes
10-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Well put Oliver! The golden rule is that Emotions sell NOT Facts. And people want to know "What's in it for me?" In other words, all those wonderful Features must lead to Benefits! 3D/CG/CGI is inherently loaded with technical information and acronyms (see the start of this sentence). So, lists of Features are important but NOT AS IMPORTANT as the Benefits users anticipate, perceive and ultimately GET! NEW users (customers) and Professional Veterans would probably agree that end results are what matter. Therefore, BEAUTIFUL RENDERS and GREAT ANIMATIONS come to mind, as others have previously stated. It's a given that people will want "Real" value but never overlook Perceived Value. I think the persuasive "modes" come into play here: Logos, Ethos and Pathos (appeal to peoples Logic, present LW through professionals who are considered Authorities and most of all get to their EMOTIONS. TUG AT THEIR HEART STRINGS!

jrjohannes
10-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Well put Oliver! The golden rule is that Emotions sell NOT Facts. And people want to know "What's in it for me?" In other words, all those wonderful Features must lead to Benefits! 3D/CG/CGI is inherently loaded with technical information and acronyms (see the start of this sentence). So, lists of Features are important but NOT AS IMPORTANT as the Benefits users anticipate, perceive and ultimately GET! NEW users (customers) and Professional Veterans would probably agree that end results are what matter. Therefore, BEAUTIFUL RENDERS and GREAT ANIMATIONS come to mind, as others have previously stated. It's a given that people will want "Real" value but never overlook Perceived Value. I think the persuasive "modes" come into play here: Logos, Ethos and Pathos (appeal to peoples Logic, present LW through professionals who are considered Authorities and most of all get to their EMOTIONS. TUG AT THEIR HEART STRINGS!

What makes LightWave (up to 10.0, not a future "modernized" interface yet to be seen) so remarkable from the first time you launch it? I believe Jarrod Davis put it best when he once said something similar to
- LightWave does not bombard you with all of it's power and tools when you first open it - LightWave is beautifully "WorkFlow" based. Text based tools are much closer to a complete sentence than trying to interpret subjective icons. While the future may include such things for reasons I'm ignorant to, these are the "roots" of what make LightWave stand out.

Lightwolf
10-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Well I have a think. It is this: Is it possible to do feedback in LightWave? I am a complete novice but what I would like to do would be to use a camera to render an image and to use the image rendered as the next source.
Yes. Render a blank sequence once then use that as a backdrop with an offset of 1 frame.
Then render over that and save to the same sequence.

Cheers,
Mike

Nabsta
10-26-2011, 10:14 PM
I would like to see Newtek and Worley merge. I love Lightwave's workflow, but talk about Lightwave is not looking good, and something is going to have to happen to compete with all the other apps. Teaming up with Worley and implementing all of their plugins into Lightwave Core might help with competition. Maya and 3DS clearly are in the lead, but the steep price is the deterrent. Cinema 4D offers a lot more in terms of hair and dynamics for a lower price than Lightwave, while Lightwave is currently rivaling Blender with a higher price. All of the forums and links online when trying to troubleshoot issues lead to a Newcaster promotional video that have little to do with Lightwave 10. I want to see Lightwave back where it was competing with Maya in 2005; however, Newtek needs to start addressing the issues and incorporating better dynamics, hair fx, and functionality with the flow of other programs. Competitions for other Newtek products would also be nice and bring more users towards Lightwave along with more advertisement and media buzz. That's worked extremely well for Godaddy and Maya. Teaming up with Worley and creating competition multimedia campaigns are probably the best bet.

erikals
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
"Cinema 4D offers a lot more in terms of hair and dynamics for a lower price than Lightwave"

? nah, certainly not...

jasonwestmas
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Fprime Already works well with Lightwave and has some nice GI. Just doesn't have hair. You can however comp your FFX hair into your fprime render and then add motion blur in or depth of field in post based on LW's motion vector output. Fiber FX works in production now (despite a few quirks using mattes I heard), it's being used in Terra Nova with Real smart Motion Blur. So maybe try to combine RSMB with Fprime and FFX.

MarcusM
10-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi,

My suggestion is to make bridge between LW and Photoshop.

When i make UV's for low poly models and painting textures is boring to reload image in modeler image editor every time :] I need refresh in real time, especially helpful when you working on few monitors.

erikals
10-27-2011, 02:17 AM
i know,...

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dsproducts/FreePlugins/Image_IO/Auto_Image_Replace.html
this is the only solution for now, map it to a shortcut,...

jasonwestmas
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Fprime Already works well with Lightwave and has some nice GI. Just doesn't have hair. You can however comp your FFX hair into your fprime render and then add motion blur in or depth of field in post based on LW's motion vector output. Fiber FX works in production now (despite a few quirks using mattes I heard), it's being used in Terra Nova with Real smart Motion Blur. So maybe try to combine RSMB with Fprime and FFX.

Come to think of it, (for displacement map people) the best thing that NT could do with LW render is find a way to increase the amount of polygons we can render for a single frame. Right now it takes a huge amount of Ram to render one object at 7 million polys. Where a single 4096 displacement can support around 12 million polygons. So a bucket renderer that smartly distributes the ram per buckets would really enable us to take full advantage of Displacement maps.

3dworks
10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
please, NT, don't forget the archviz user's wishlist here http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=120523

thank you :)

markus

MarcusM
10-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Thing what should be helpful during hours spend in front of LW will be possibility to take out from working area (modeler or layout) any window/view (usually Top/Down, Back/Front, Left/Right, Perspective/Camera/Light).
Can You imagine to have one monitor with big UV view and standard four windows on next monitors :]

Marek

Nabsta
10-28-2011, 02:17 AM
Thanks for all the advice. It appears Maxon just jacked their price up and now costs almost as much as Maya. Maybe it's more an issue with tutorials and manuals. I tried Fiber FX, and it's been a pain with several collapsed particles despite the collisions. I can't find hardly any documentation on Fiber FX either aside from the training videos by William Vaughan, and I'm not finding many examples of it used in industry. I'm still pretty new to Lightwave. I've used Hair in the past, and it seemed easier to work with elsewhere. I'm wondering how Sasquatch is, but I've read a lot of talk about it not supporting shadows and shading during the render aside from on the hair itself. That's a huge problem if you want photo-realistic hair in reflections, refractions, and shadows. I'm not sure if that is just a feature of Lite or it is a feature found in the full version as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3dworks
10-28-2011, 07:37 AM

btw as a reminder, fprime is not an option anymore on the mac platform since version 10.x. lots of functionality and workflow lost since then. VPR is not an effective replacement for it, it is less flexible (tied to the viewport, no fast pan/zoom, no surface/object picking) and when using it with GI, it's dead slow on really large scenes.

so VPR additions and enhancements pointing in that direction would be very welcome (and badly needed) as well for version 11. as it is, VPR may be an excellent option for character animation, but it isn't for archviz.

markus

jasonwestmas
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
btw as a reminder, fprime is not an option anymore on the mac platform since version 10.x. lots of functionality and workflow lost since then. VPR is not an effective replacement for it, it is less flexible (tied to the viewport, no fast pan/zoom, no surface/object picking) and when using it with GI, it's dead slow on really large scenes.

so VPR additions and enhancements pointing in that direction would be very welcome (and badly needed) as well for version 11. as it is, VPR may be an excellent option for character animation, but it isn't for archviz.

markus

Yes, I'm speaking from a character design and character animation perspective. Also a Windows perspective not a mac one. I wouldn't go the 3rd party plugin route with Mac ever, that's just my own personal experience.

I also wouldn't use a previewer for good GI previews. The Lightwave GI is dead slow without interpolated anyway so preview or no preview. . . either way you are going to have to wait a long while. F9 with interpolated GI is fast enough for interrior previews I find, but I guess I can understand wanting to preview surfaces with GI in VPR.

As a side note, I started to use the G2 Image Processing for gamma and color correction and I find it to be really useful when using FPrime. Of course without Gerardo Estrada's HDRI mag advice I wouldn't have considered it.

erikals
10-28-2011, 09:14 AM
VPR for character animation..?.. hardly,... hehe :] :]

3dworks
10-28-2011, 09:31 AM
VPR is not meant to replace FPrime, Worley has to provide an update (if he thinks LW is still worth spending time on). And I'm not sure in which way VPR helps animating characters... ;)

there will be no fprime update.

VPR was shown extensively as a previewer for character animation in lino's LW 10 presentation videos.

erikals
10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Worley is working on something else, something cool, from what i heard...

3dworks
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Worley is working on something else, something cool, from what i heard...

yeah those are the rumours...

3dworks
10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
I heard a screen recording software was used as well... and it still won't help me animate characters. ;)

well, i meant the targeted audience of character animators, which includes surfacing setup, of course. but that's hard to understand, apparently. :D

jasonwestmas
10-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Well sure that makes sense Oliver, I've built a few rooms before and the main difference between that and CA stuff is that there are more surface names and no deformations in the room itself. Other than that I found it relatively the same process. You have to design it, light it, surface it, get the right amount of detail in it and your camera angles have to work with your content for the "story" your trying to tell. An Arch-Viz Fly-Through is still story telling.

sadkkf
11-17-2011, 08:17 AM
For me the biggest things are UI and docs.

Some of the panels are so packed the tabs can't even display full names. And I still don't know what some of the labels or options mean.

The docs should not only define these, but give clear examples to be useful.

Yeah, I'm a hobbyist, but make enough money from it to pay for the upgrades and that's about it.

jrjohannes
11-19-2011, 10:44 AM
I like what you are saying... I am determined to consistently communicate NewTek's vision of the future of LightWave 3D to the masses.

but......

Communication is a two way street. This is a community, and I am a part of it, just like you are.

My adivce:

With all due respect, NewTek has presented multiple (maybe even confusing at times) Mantras. For example, the following slogans have been used at the same time in different places:
"It's Everywhere"
"Be Empowered"
"Model Animate Render"
"Model On It .... Count On It"

Having a different core message per campaign makes sense. However, a company should not change its overall Vision, Mission and/or Value Statements OFTEN! Limiting it to ONE CORE message per campaign would help a-lot!

No company can afford trying to please everyone all of the time. It's a balance between having unwavering mission & value statements combined with collecting all the ideas out there and implementing those ideas in accordance with meeting goals/objectives.

The current mantra is comprehensive and focused: “Technology Serves the Artist"

Yes? No?

Let your ideas rip! Just keep them diplomatic. It's not so much what you say but how you say it.

Jason

dblincoe
11-19-2011, 10:57 AM
With all due respect, NewTek has presented multiple (maybe even confusing at times) Mantras. For example, the following slogans have been used at the same time in different places:
"It's Everywhere"
"Be Empowered"
"Model Animate Render"
"Model On It .... Count On It"

Having a different core message per campaign makes sense. However, a company should not change its overall Vision, Mission and/or Value Statements OFTEN! Limiting it to ONE CORE message per campaign would help a-lot!

No company can afford trying to please everyone all of the time. It's a balance between having unwavering mission & value statements combined with collecting all the ideas out there and implementing those ideas in accordance with meeting goals/objectives.

The current mantra is comprehensive and focused: “Technology Serves the Artist"

Yes? No?

Let your ideas rip! Just keep them diplomatic. It's not so much what you say but how you say it.

Jason

As a one man shop, LW allows me to accomplish a lot on a rather modest budget. I've really been happy with LW11 so far...there are a few hiccups but it is a pre-release. I think the mantra should be something similar to "Liberating Artist".

I realize that bigger shops with the $ and manpower to spend on a lot of packages will have more complicated workflows/pipelines, but for me it allows me to work fast, simply and effectively. Sure there are cheats and tweaks, but every package has them...that is the art.

jrjohannes
11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
As a one man shop, LW allows me to accomplish a lot on a rather modest budget. I've really been happy with LW11 so far...there are a few hiccups but it is a pre-release. I think the mantra should be something similar to "Liberating Artist".

I realize that bigger shops with the $ and manpower to spend on a lot of packages will have more complicated workflows/pipelines, but for me it allows me to work fast, simply and effectively. Sure there are cheats and tweaks, but every package has them...that is the art.

Good Point! This is my view and experience as well.

Do you think that the more LightWave tries to fit into a pipeline, the further it will get away from being an ALL-IN-ONE out of the box solution?

OnlineRender
11-19-2011, 01:12 PM
LightWave is fast ... nobody can disagree, I mean real fast, I had a bet with a max user saying I can get my computer switched on boot up windows and get LW active before Max booted up .... I won , try it.

Lightwave fits into most pipelines , there render engine is not only the easiest to use for a newbie to professional but one of the best.

as for the all-in-one , I believe modeler needs an overhaul but you would need to be blind not to see that...and I think it will get fix at some point .....cool tools are comming " I MEAN REAL COOL FEATURES ...lw users have been giving a second wind and wait to you see the artwork that will come with these tools , its going to be unreal.

dblincoe
11-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Good Point! This is my view and experience as well.

Do you think that the more LightWave tries to fit into a pipeline, the further it will get away from being an ALL-IN-ONE out of the box solution?

I don't mind them "fitting into a pipeline" that has to be done if they are keep in the game. For instance, I really felt that if LW11 ignored a GOZ interchange with Zbrush they would have lost a lot of character artist. I can also see why they want Unity, etc... I think that is why I prefer Lightwave. It can stand alone and accomplish a lot but also be able to interchange with other packages.

The problem is to be an all-in-one package they will always have to add to features to stay up with the current technology. There has to also be a balance with tools for the "one-man-army" artist and price point for the lonely artist. If the all-in-one package's features drive the cost out of the hands of the typical artist then what is the point. At the same time, however, there is more cost associated with a multiple package set up. Guess what I am saying there is a fine line that Newtek will hopefully walk gracefully.

jasonwestmas
11-19-2011, 06:09 PM
The ALL IN ONE solution in order to be competitive is a myth anyway.

jrjohannes
11-19-2011, 06:23 PM
I hope NewTek markets LightWave 11 and future versions to educational institutions. And I really believe that Character Animation Tools will become a must!

Here's why:

1. Television is a splintered and "ADD" audience
2a. VFX does not = Story (I KNOW... IT'S IMPORTANT TO PRODUCTION VALUE)
2b. STORY IS KING, Character is KEY to STORY etc...
3. LightWave is the one NewTek product that fits into the World of Film. I wish NewTek would exploit that for ALL it's worth.
4. We all know of the few companies that currently produce the top design/compositing tools and we also know the company that produces 3D software with robust character animation tools. Somewhere between Design and Character Animation is LightWave. All Visual Art/Communication should be about good Design and Artists can only take their work so far without characters.

It comes down to looking at WORKFLOW/PIPELINE in a larger context!

IMHO

zarti
11-19-2011, 07:26 PM
LightWave is fast ... nobody can disagree, I mean real fast, I had a bet with a max user saying I can get my computer switched on boot up windows and get LW active before Max booted up .... I won , try it.

simple !

thats because lw doesnt have a splash screen .

;)

3dworks
11-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Yeah, you're right... VPR must be for character animators, because they showed it off with CA material... uh-hmm... :o
Well, I have not done one bit of CA in LW since a looong time, and still use it again and again. Am I using it wrong then? ;) You seem to forget that for once, LW is no CA tool, so VFX is probably even more interested in VPR stuff. CA is NOT the "targeted audience", there is no "targeted" one, it's supposed to be for anyone doing lighting/surfacing, and LW is not split into archviz and CA, see? Fascinatingly, the CG industry has many more specialized branches than those 2, no idea why it's so important for you to separate it into CA and Archviz...
Your observation is oversimplifying matters, that's all I'm saying. Again: it's not for CA, it's for lighting/surfacing, which is a completely different sort of "target". Every feature becomes slow with "more stuff", so vice versa simple archviz projects are more suited for VPR than bigger CA scenes with several complex characters and environments (of course you're partly right if you assume that such projects are a lot less common in LW than sexy archviz stuff), so we're on square one, and you hopefully get what I mean by "VPR is targeted at CA". It's like saying "Hypervoxels is targeted at creating matte paintings"... how does that make sense? Or "the knife tools is made for working on previz-models". Uhmm, what?

FPrime is a full renderer while VPR is a "preview renderer", so the comparison is a little irrelevant.
And of course, on the other hand, your wish for "VPR" to become more of a "VR" (without the "preview") is nothing to be argued against, there's lots of functionality that could be added.

Still, FPrime has been developed for years with the focus of becoming a production renderer by now, and thus the developer should be able to provide some fixes. It's still sold, the developer is one of the few sorta "active" ones (no official announcement that he turned his back to NT/LW), so it's normally a matter of course to provide this service. So asking Newtek to include FPrime functionality is nice and dandy, but highly unlikely to be a focus of development, so bugging Worley (whose tool you prefer anyway) would be the sensible thing to do. How about that?

Hope this can be understood.... :thumbsup:

wow, after reading your acute observations, i'm getting the impression that probably you assume i'm not knowing what i'm talking about. :D

about fprime: i'm in contact with worley, so i know that fprime is not supported anymore on mac since version 10.

just to clarify, read back: "...as it is, VPR may be an excellent option for character animation, but it isn't for archviz." - this was taking CA just as an example for what VPR is probably working better. it could have been also VFX or whatever other area in this example. your last post with assumptions about me thinking LW split into archviz and CA is somewhat absurd.

but well, someone always has to know things better ;)

i won't reply to this anymore, so hopefully we can go back to the really useful topic "suggestions box"...

cheers

markus

erikals
11-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeah... the speed makes all the difference, you can really see LW shine in that regard in those examples! :lol:

yep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxNHBQdYi78
 

erikals
11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
or maybe we just disagree...

djwaterman
11-21-2011, 03:42 AM
FAST! - ONE MAN! ONE DAY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQOL1FGc1UA)
SLOOOOW! - 13 people! (http://vimeo.com/31727486) Almost 3 weeks! (http://vimeo.com/30063812) (2 links here, same project specifics, worked on both of them and a few more in the channel...)
Yeah... the speed makes all the difference, you can really see LW shine in that regard in those examples! :lol:[/QUOTE]

Where those Vestel examples using some Lightwave in there?

frosted
12-26-2011, 08:16 AM
I suggest that when NewTek says LightWave 11 will be shipping by the end of the year, 2011, they actually ship. It's December 26th and not a whisper of 11. Anyone else waiting and tired of missed release dates?

dblincoe
12-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I suggest that when NewTek says LightWave 11 will be shipping by the end of the year, 2011, they actually ship. It's December 26th and not a whisper of 11. Anyone else waiting and tired of missed release dates?

I for one rather them move the date a few weeks or so and ship a solid app than try to hit a deadline short of all fixes.

I know they are working. On Christmas I received status updates on some of the bugs I reported. They are working on a holiday to get it right.

erikals
12-27-2011, 07:00 AM
one month off wouldn't bother me...
(to be honest, i'd actually prefer it, it being Christmas and money is short)

jasonwestmas
12-27-2011, 07:50 AM
Rather it be late and more perfected. It's sometimes unpredictable what problems software development can reveal. I don't want another fiber fx or catmull clark incident.

frosted
12-27-2011, 08:06 AM
In business you set expectations, the successful ones always exceed the expectations and delight the end user/customer. I do like lightwave, but it's so hard to wait when you hear about delays but no reason is given.

jasonwestmas
12-27-2011, 08:38 AM
In business you set expectations, the successful ones always exceed the expectations and delight the end user/customer. I do like lightwave, but it's so hard to wait when you hear about delays but no reason is given.

Well you can easily imagine what they would say. . ."Due to unforeseen complications, blah blah blah." Or maybe you haven't been around here very long.

frosted
01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I can imagine allot, but in the real world, we have deadlines, and only so much time to learn new software.
I would bet that newtek has a good reason for the delay, but if you don't tell your core users what's really going on, other packages start to look good.
I want my lightwave 11!

dblincoe
01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Every time Newtek talks about their future ideas suddenly people demand that it be included in the next iteration of the software even if it is a point release. Speculation becomes demanded features. If they don't talk about anything, then the community says they are turning their back on the user base. If they release software too fast and it has bugs or things to work out then they are just interested in making a quick buck on every release. If they take their time to release a rock solid app then they are accused of dragging their feet and not delivering.

I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

jasonwestmas
01-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I
I want my lightwave 11!

Not me, it still has bugz in it! :D

frosted
01-03-2012, 01:16 PM
We all want better features, lower cost, and fast turn around. The trick to marketing this is simple: only announce stable features that will be in the next release. Tell people "we are looking into it" even if it's going to be in the next beta, and hold a solid release until the date of release instead of announcing a date than changing. By the time you announce a date, you should have your 5th or 6th beta already in testing and the majority of the features ready to go. That way your product production pipeline is always ahead of the curve. The next step is marketing the features to look like they are really innovative instead of "hay, we know maya has done this for a few years, and now, so will we!". Stand out products should stand out for the usability by the artist, and quality of the final animation. Like Apple does, stress the stuff that you have that makes your product seem like an enormous leap on quality and usability over anyone else.
Right now, lightwave is the fastest in the pipeline. Speed is great! Better tools are always required. If Lightwave is being used for previs, you know maya is in the pipeline for final render, ask yourself why.

dblincoe
01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
If Lightwave is being used for previs, you know maya is in the pipeline for final render, ask yourself why.

Funny, I always thought that LW's render engine was one of the fastest and best in terms of quality.

jasonwestmas
01-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Funny, I always thought that LW's render engine was one of the fastest and best in terms of quality.

It is if you're a small team or a one man band. Bigger studios are just faster for obvious reasons, depends on the context.

erikals
01-03-2012, 05:12 PM
afaik LWrender should still kick M-ray to the side... overall...

Cyberfish_Fred
01-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Just complete the Hypervoxels first, perfect blending and ability to render with SSS.
We really need to see that being improved.

Freddy

dblincoe
04-16-2012, 03:27 PM
In order to eliminate a couple of thousand clicks how about the ability to install a plugin/lscript and setup it's menu location at the same time. The install dialog would include the ability to set up where the script or plugin would be.

mRossi
04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Well..... I think that some better boolean and serious thickening plugin is needed, and also some like POINTFIT, with a project-from-normal options. These features are extremely important IMO.

Dexter2999
04-18-2012, 11:19 AM
The next step is marketing the features to look like they are really innovative instead of "hay, we know maya has done this for a few years, and now, so will we!".

Not sure what is meant here. On the surface I tend to disagree. The last thing you would want is to pretend you are the "newest latest greatest" when in fact you are merely playing catchup. Especially in a market where you are an underdog and prone to derision from "industry standard" snobs.

Haters are gonna hate. Best to not give them ammunition.

OnlineRender
04-30-2012, 01:38 PM
the newtek site "lightwave part " gallery is not handling the images correct, ratio is gimped .. also there is some php errors being thrown I would go into more about the joomla aspect but I guess its pointless

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/lightwave-gallery.html

jeric_synergy
05-01-2012, 10:17 PM
As I've lately become away, the motion export of LW is a bit problematical. Various 3rd party solutions exist for getting a useful output to a compositing app, but natively, eh, not so much.

I suggest that Newtek add processing options to directly output motion in several formats. Fusion, TMK, is covered, hoorah for that, but AE and all the other should be too, without 3rd party intervention, no matter how fantastic that intervention is.

mborge
05-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Modeler is seriously falling behind - here's my wishlist
(all of which exist in almost all other programs nowadays. So just steal the best.)

1. NATIVE Edgeloop aware tools/workflows - dbl click edge and get the loop etc. Look at modo how it uses the arrow keys etc with selections and loops and steal it.

2. Modern UV tools - Steal from 3D-Coat and Modo. UV's are foundational so treat them that way.

3. Visual and real instancing/cloning - Like Silo already figured out. Symmetry will often end up failing as modeling gets complex so give us a visual instancing (fake geometry so we only have to model half but, see the whole) as well as full instancing linked to a parent.

4. Basic sculpting tools - especially for use with UV's.

5. Context aware tools like Silo.

6. Enhanced interactive Fall-Off like modo. Hey it's a LW tradition they just one-upped it.

7. Better viewport overlays, tool handles etc.

8. Retopo - steal from 3D-Coat.

9. Better Booleans - steal from 3D-Coat.

10. PSD layers/export like Mudbox

YES I am suggesting that LW learns/steals from Silo and Modo, and any other program if they want to survive.

Modeler is good but, it's lacking the modernization that is just too common elsewhere to be ignored. Yes HARDCORE was on the right track with many ideas and I want to see them implemented.

If NT fails to improve Modeler Layout won't be enough to hold the brand.

billbritt
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I suggest that Lightwave add a search field for tools/commands. If you use After Effects they have something like this under filters.

Say in Modeler, I want to use a rare command like "WARP SPHERE" I can remember the name but I can't remember where to find it. If there was a field that pulled up everything that matched and gave me a link and the bread crumbs to the location (Tab:Modify, Section: Transform, Button: More, Sub Button: Warp Sphere) I could be on my way, and over time I would start learning.

This would make life easier for experienced users like me and especially newbies. Currently I resort to using the Edit Keyboard shortcuts to find the right name and sometimes it gives a hint as to where the tool is.

I've been using Lightwave intermittently for over 10 years now and I still struggle to remember where the unusual commands are, even the Aligner tool.

Does the group concur or am I just an outlier with a bad memory?

jeric_synergy
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Does the group concur or am I just an outlier with a bad memory?
I certainly concur, and have made the same suggestion (multiple times).

AND do the same thing with the Menu editor. ::sad face::

You wanna really cry? Check out Blender's Search function.

oranjer
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm new to LW and the first thing that bothering me is THE INTERFACE and CONTEXT TOOLS (nothing in right click) I think it's not intuitive and need to REVAMP . It's very contrast with Blender that interface&tools will changed when you changing your mode (then you know what tool you can use for that situation) .
In LW you need to dig deeply when you need to do the same thing when compared to other 3D app . In my experience C4D has very intuitive interface and also easily to choose a tool when you need (very good tools handling).
But don't get me wrong. I love Lightwave , I found it have many cool simple & powerful things (Drag tool,Spin quads,Band saw pro,VPR and mores)

Lewis
05-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Well yes LWM is cool and powerfull when you know the tools and all the tricks and workarounds. If you ar enewbie and expect normal windows behavior (context menus, RMB menus, drag & drop...) then you are going to be unpleasantly surprised 'coz it's not intuitive in that way. But community will help you with whatever problems/specific issues you might have so don't hesitate to ask here :).

BTW i find your input very valuable to NT, they need to understand what users NEW to LWM expect, let's hope they'll respond in new versions.

cheers

jeric_synergy
05-10-2012, 02:36 PM
BTW i find your input very valuable to NT, they need to understand what users NEW to LWM expect, let's hope they'll respond in new versions.
emphasis added. I think it's very easy to forget what a mysterious thing LW can be (to recapture that feeling, try learning Blender). And YES, the devs need to be reminded again and again.

Especially as the track record for consistency with LightWave's OWN 'conventions' has been less than stellar. "Fit", I'm lookin' at you.

BTW, does it sometimes seem like, ohhh, the Node Editor and FiberFX were coded by non-native English speakers?

oranjer
05-11-2012, 01:58 AM

I'm glad if it has valuable to Newtek or Developers team :D

cybernaut
05-12-2012, 02:42 PM
The ability to sort presets Alphabetically as well as the existing chronologically in ascending and descending order would be a very useful feature added to Lightwave.

cagey5
09-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Suggestion:

Trim out some of the stickies cluttering up the top of a number of threads. My suggestions would be.

1. This thread itself. Past it's usefulness.
2. Poll: Menu configs - A poll posted 3 and a half years ago! I think we've all moved on since then.
3. GoogleMaps of Lightwave users: After we all upped sticks and moved to Antarctica it was sort of pointless. Howdy neighbour.
4. New Image Gallery submissions: Old information, either needs sprucing up or throwing out.

jeric_synergy
09-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Suggestion:
Trim out some of the stickies cluttering up the top of a number of threads. My suggestions would be.
Seconded! Eight stickies in "General (LW) Support"? Does "Benchmarking" really deserve a sticky?