View Full Version : texture lines in render - aliasing problem and jagged

masklin
04-01-2010, 12:55 PM
so here's my problem:
1. Modeled a spaceship-car
2. Exported its UV map to Photoshop
3. Started to paint some lines
4. Rendered it

And some of the lines look really jagged...
Please take a look at the attached snapshots

Left snapshot: UV map
Right snapshot: Rendered image ("door" lines are jagged)

Some details:
Lightwave 9.6
texture size: 2048x2048
lines width: ~4 pixels
cam properties:
Antialiasing: PLD 3-pass
Reconstruction filter: Classic

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
EZ

sampei
04-03-2010, 04:16 AM
try increasing the anti-aliasing to something like 10 and rendering at higher resolution, it will help a lot to identify issues.

Danner
04-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Antialias settings in lightwave are so strange. I have a scene where adaptive sampling looks bad on a texture with lines (planks) but a grid texture is smooth. not using adaptive sampling makes the lines look good but the grid looks bad! So I had to use a combination of higher passes AND adaptive sampling.

Captain Obvious
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
If it's an image map you're rendering... Go to the image settings (F6 by default), select the image, change 'Smoothing' to 'Anti-aliasing.' It gives you much better results. Works best with Perspective cameras.

Sensei
04-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Any suggestions?

I am always using AA 9 passes.

With Classic Camera set Anti-Aliasing to Classic: Enhanced Medium
or with Perspective Camera set Anti-Aliasing Passes to 9.

If you have new machine like dual-core, quad-core, use Perspective Camera. It will utilize all cores to full potential, resulting faster rendering.

probiner
04-03-2010, 04:41 PM
why 9 passes sensei?
(I normally use 4 with AS 0.02 and OS 0.6)

Captain Obvious
04-03-2010, 04:42 PM
If you have new machine like dual-core, quad-core, use Perspective Camera. It will utilize all cores to full potential, resulting faster rendering.
It is indeed true that the perspective camera is better at using multiple cores, but a good trick for getting *better* results with the classic camera is to always use the maximum thread count possible in the render options. If the perspective camera is not ideal for whatever reason, it's a good trick to have. :)

masklin
04-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Thanks, guys

So after reading all the replies, here are my conclusions:
1. Increasing number of passes really improved the image. I though that AA settings are relevant to the mesh itself, and that AA for the texture has other settings elsewhere...
2. @Captain Obvious : couldn't find this "Smoothing" property, although it makes perfect sense that there would be one. Using 9.6 and there is no "Smoothing" property... The closest thing is "Mipmap Mode"...
3. Classic cam and Perspective cam gave me pretty much the same results...

As I said, Increasing number of passes really improved the image.
Attached is my low poly (~2000 tris) space-car-beetle

Any comments (texture, lighting, rendering) are always welcomed

Captain Obvious
04-05-2010, 06:40 AM
2. @Captain Obvious : couldn't find this "Smoothing" property, although it makes perfect sense that there would be one. Using 9.6 and there is no "Smoothing" property... The closest thing is "Mipmap Mode"...
Oh, sorry, my bad! It's Softness, not Smoothing. It is indeed the mipmap mode setting! I couldn't remember what it was called. :)

Change it to antialiasing and you get better texture antialiasing. It only works on images. Lightwave doesn't have different settings for texture/shading AA and geometry AA. It's all the same thing.

Sensei
04-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Did you enable Ray Traced Shadows in Render Globals?
To see shadows casted by car you will of course need some floor polygon, or plug-in like TrueInfinitePlane
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/TrueInfinitePlane

Try using area light type in Light Properties, instead of default Distant type.

Is it really necessary that very low poly modeling? It's so clearly visible that surface is made of polygons, because of these visible poly hard edges. Double, triple poly count it at least, and this blocky effect will be much less visible.

After applying all my suggestions and a bit of reflections to car surface you should have something similar to this:
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/TrueInfinitePlane/Graphics/Small/TrueInfinitePlane_Screen_5.png

joelaff
04-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Try Perspective camera AA set to 2-8, Adaptive on set to 0.02. Oversample set to 0.25 (sometimes higher, though it can begin to get soft with Gaussian), Gaussian reconstruction. I do VFX work. I always have to blur renders anyway to comp them in to film. So I often use even higher Oversampling (0.4-0.75).

Make sure MIP maps are enabled (Whoever started the MYTH that turning off MIP maps is a good thing should be shot. I know some of the "schools" teach this... They're wrong.)

I might also slightly blur your texturemap in Photoshop.