PDA

View Full Version : UI for Game Dev

jasonwestmas
04-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Hi, I'm developing some UI concepts for a game. I would be interested in people's reactions and ideas to improve this. Bear in mind that this is bare bones idea and that the colors are just there for easy identification.

Traveler
04-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Ah, GUI design. A difficult thing to get right. It's hard for me to judge this without actually knowing what the game is about but looking at this I would do the following thing.

The portrait element you have at the top left. I do not know what you intend to do with it, but right now, I believe, it's A) too big and B) at the wrong position. I'm going to assume its meant to display the players avatar, and thus likely to be around 80% of the time irrelevant to the player. Usually the top section of the screen is at eye-level of the player, meaning that anything you put there is nearly always visible to the player.
I would make it smaller and position it somewhere at the bottom left section of the screen.

The same pretty much goes for the top 6 icons. They appear to be buttons or perhaps icons which require some sort of interaction from the user. If they do not require interaction and are only there to inform the player about the amounts of resources, I'd make them a lot smaller. You could perhaps place these at the top right. If they are buttons then they definitely need to move to the bottom. (Think about where the player spends the most time with his mouse and put them there.)

The map popup. That sounds to me like the most important element on screen right now? If that's so than I'd give it a more central position.

I have attached a screenshot of what I meant.

I hope this helps :)

jasonwestmas
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
Wow, thanks for the help Traveler! :D I'll keep going.

OnlineRender
04-03-2010, 03:48 PM
hehe @;) nice