PDA

View Full Version : Live-Streaming to only one or two Points

avpM2
04-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Hi all,

Is there a way to send a Livestream from the Tricaster to one or two Points, e.g. from one Board-Room in a Company Building through the Intranet/LAN to a Desktop PC in a different Company Building?
Do I need a Streaming-Server between?
I had in mind that there is a way, but I'm not shure.

Thx.
Steve

Jay Rich
04-01-2010, 02:31 AM
Yes this is easily done. Use the PULL option under your streaming options, it will give you the address the viewer will use. They can put this address in their Windows Media Player to see the streaM LIVE.

jmmultex
04-01-2010, 06:36 AM
As Jay said, Pull is definitely the easiest way to do this. HOWEVER...

Pull does require that the receiving computers are on the same subnet as the Tricaster. That may not be the case in larger companies, even when systems are in the same building. (I'm happy to explain this in more detail on the board or private message)

To be on the safe side, set the Tricaster up to stream a looped video and try connecting well in advance of the actual production. You don't want to find out there is a problem 10 minutes before you go live. At that point, it is usually too late to get any network issues debugged or have things reconfigured. (And as I've been told by IT folks in the past, poor planing on my part doesn't constitute an emergency on their part.)

:goodluck:

-john

SBowie
04-01-2010, 07:23 AM
Pull does require that the receiving computers are on the same subnet as the Tricaster.
Pull can work across the country, actually John (not to quibble).

jmmultex
04-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Agreed Steve.

While I was making the point to not assume computers are on the same subnet just because they are close to each other, it is equally wrong to assume that just because computers are not close to each other that they are NOT on the same subnet. (wow - a lot of double negatives in that sentence...:D)

In either case, it pays to check in advance. :thumbsup:

-john

PS - It is possible to create a tunnel between two different subnets that PULL can work across, but it would require IT support of some kind to configure it - not exactly an out of the box solution. VPN could also work, but that is really just a way to have a remote computer join a local subnet.

Hopefully none of this is an issue in this case.

avpM2
04-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks for all the answers.

John, if I understood right, Pull can work but should have the same subnet, even when there are a big distance between them?
Is it difficult to setup?

How many Pull Streams are possible?

It is planed to sende a Signal over 5km distance through a WAN (Company LAN Network, 100 MB/s). I guess we will have a half day for testing in advance.

Regards
Steve

pdxJoe
04-03-2010, 12:54 AM
It isn't difficult to setup assuming the network is configured to meet your needs. It is recommended to complete a test in advance of the event. If that cannot be accomplished then a conversation with the IT staff will need to occur.

It is common for IT WAN links to restrict certain types of network activity or another. The pull connection does NOT need to be on the same subnet. The subnets must be networked together. (can you ping from a host on one subnet to a host on the other subnet).

Get with the IT department. Let them know you will be doing a windows media pull type broadcast over the WAN and will need their support.

Test the pull functionality on your office network so that you are comfortable with how it is expected to work.

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck!

Joe

avpM2
04-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the detailed explenation.
We will do a test inhouse and then I will talk to the IT staff!

Steve