PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #78 - "The inside of Snoopy's Doghouse"

shrox
03-31-2010, 02:33 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #78 - "The inside of Snoopy's Doghouse"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speed Modeling Challenge #78
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

This week's topic: "The inside of Snoopy's Doghouse"

We've seen him pull stuff out that was bigger than the doghouse itself. We've heard cool lounge music drifting out. We've even heard him going up and down the stairs. So what does the inside of Snoopy's doghouse look like? Show us.

Time Limit - 120 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 7th April 2010, 2200 GMT

chco2
03-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Time limit 2 hrs?

shrox
03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Time limit 2 hrs?

Well yeah, there's allot of stuff in there...I didn't think 90 minutes would be quite enough time for modelling fun rather than deadline pressure. 120 minutes is pretty much the uppermost limit though I think for these challenges. You may use less if so inclined.

Iain
04-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Oooh.......obscure!
I remember watching Charlie Brown occasionally but I can't remember a thing about Snoopy's doghouse.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....

OnlineRender
04-01-2010, 06:07 AM
whore house ! snoop's DOG alter ego !

sampei
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
two hours is good :D
I'll have to watch some clips for reference, I also remember watching snoopy as a kid but can only recall a certain patty having a very manly voice !

Shnoze Shmon
04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
"In the early years of the strip, Snoopy's doghouse was typically seen from the front or front plus one side, with the standard arched doorway of a doghouse, and Snoopy's name arched over the door. Snoopy would sleep in the doorway.

On December 12, 1958, Snoopy slept on top of his doghouse, rather than inside it, for the first time. Thereafter, Snoopy was seldom seen to venture inside the doghouse, except to retrieve something, instead spending the bulk of his time sitting or lying on its gable roof. One strip ascribed Snoopy's ability to sleep there to his ears, which—like the feet of a perching bird -- "lock" him to the top so that he doesn't fall. How his typewriter balances there is never explained.

At this point, the side view of the doghouse became standard in the strip, which allowed the imagination of Schulz (and Snoopy) to expand this dwelling beyond the limits of a normal doghouse.

Despite Snoopy's tendency to stay outside in all weather (in some cases even allowing snow to accumulate on his supine body, or wearing a snorkel when it rains), a running gag established that the interior of Snoopy's doghouse was something extraordinary. It defied physics, being dramatically larger on the inside than the outside, with a carpeted foyer, a den, a library, a guest room, a stairway and a basement. The first indication of the doghouse's unique layout occurred on January 31, 1954 when Charlie Brown was puzzled to see all his neighborhood friends crawling into it for a visit. The doghouse was destroyed several times over the years, being hit by a tree due to a chase over Linus' blanket (July 26, 1959), crushed by a large icicle (February 13, 1960), and finally burned to the ground (September 19, 1966). The doghouse also suffered damage by the particularly violent cat next door, who would swipe off a large portion of the doghouse, leaving a frightened Snoopy standing on the remaining strip on one foot (The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show). In each case the doghouse was soon rebuilt. Although individual items were lost in the fire, each replacement doghouse appears to have retained the spaciousness and opulence of its predecessor.

The interior was decorated with several pricey acquisitions including a painting by Van Gogh, first mentioned on February 29, 1964. After the fire destroyed the Van Gogh, it was replaced by an Andrew Wyeth. At various times the interior of Snoopy's doghouse also held bunk beds, a pool table, a table tennis table, a television, a mural (painted by Linus), a shower, a cedar closet, a grandfather clock, and a whirlpool bath.[7]

Features established in the television specials include a fine kitchen (A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving), and sound equipment (A Boy Named Charlie Brown). In It's Magic, Charlie Brown, Snoopy enters his dog house and the underground interior is depicted as spacious and well equipped for anything he needs.

The doghouse also serves as a prop for Snoopy, often imagined as a World War I "Sopwith Camel" fighter plane in Snoopy's battles with the Red Baron. During these aerial fights, Snoopy's house often suffers from bullet holes and occasionally crashes. However, this seems to take place solely in Snoopy's imagination, as the house is in perfect shape later. Once, the doghouse serves as a commercial airline, with Snoopy as the pilot. Marcie served as a stewardess when Schroeder goes to piano camp."

TheDynamo
04-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Ooh, this one sounds fun :)

shrox
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
...Features established in the television specials include a fine kitchen (A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving), and sound equipment (A Boy Named Charlie Brown). In It's Magic, Charlie Brown, Snoopy enters his dog house and the underground interior is depicted as spacious and well equipped for anything he needs...

The kitchen in question was actually Charlie Brown's home kitchen. I am pretty sure the interior has never been shown. The idea is that it is much larger inside than out.

Cutting and pasting from Wiki is just wrong! Except when I do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut,_copy,_and_paste

shrox
04-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Did I make a lame choice? Not many responces.

chco2
04-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Most likely due to easter weekend :)

shrox
04-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Most likely due to easter weekend :)

Oh, so Snoopy's out of town then...

chco2
04-02-2010, 10:42 AM
yeah.. something about plans with Garfield..

Kuzey
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I wonder what they're doing, two cartoon characters walk into a bar...hehe.

Maybe we should extend this challenge for another week or two :)

Kuzey

sampei
04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
a small crit, imho subjects for the challenges should be kept more generalistic...because if someone hasn't seen this or that show it's harder to get ideas. That said obviously one can bend the subject easily and get reference on google in minutes...in the end it is also cool to be forced to think outside of the comfort zone ! ;)

shrox
04-03-2010, 09:15 AM
a small crit, imho subjects for the challenges should be kept more generalistic...because if someone hasn't seen this or that show it's harder to get ideas. That said obviously one can bend the subject easily and get reference on google in minutes...in the end it is also cool to be forced to think outside of the comfort zone ! ;)

I chose Snoopy because I thought he was as well known as Mickey Mouse or Bart Simpson, the Peanuts comic strips have had world wide appeal for 50 years. Then again I never really got into Tin Tin, so that's just as unknown to me I guess.

Maybe we should stick to geometric primatives then...this week: Cube.

sampei
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
shrox don't take it personally ! I think it's a cool idea you had, and look forward to thinking what to do..but I (personally!) believe that to get more people involved in the challenges ideas need to be less specific...for example rather than having "mickey mouse" we could have "props made in Disney" or something.
that said its likely that the entries for this one will be very cool indeed ;)

shrox
04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
shrox don't take it personally ! I think it's a cool idea you had, and look forward to thinking what to do..but I (personally!) believe that to get more people involved in the challenges ideas need to be less specific...for example rather than having "mickey mouse" we could have "props made in Disney" or something.
that said its likely that the entries for this one will be very cool indeed ;)

I wasn't offended, I had put allot of thought into it come up with something that everyone would know, I've seen pictures of Snoopy items and clothes all over the world, so I thought for sure I'd picked something common!

Hello Kitty then? Sweet but mangy old dog in the street? Everybody knows that dog...

chco2
04-03-2010, 10:40 AM
owww.. Inspector Gadget next week :)

Iain
04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
It's not easy picking a topic and the difficulty is to come up with something that inspires people to get thinking. This one is so specific and yet so vague that I have no idea where to start!

It's good to challenge the imagination though-I will come up with something!

OnlineRender
04-03-2010, 03:32 PM
modesty Iain ! I like it , lure you're pray !

sampei
04-04-2010, 09:33 AM
sorry guys this is an off contest: I forced myself to model with faces rather than subD for a change, and it all turned out to be a study on rounder and how I can make the best of it. I went back to an old tutorial and forgot all about the challenge, modeling time was probably over 2 hours, I just had to figure out how that tool works. Loads of crashes!
anyway thanks shrox, this gave me the chance to learn new things :thumbsup:

hrgiger
04-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Hope it's ok that I'm posting this. This was modeled and rendered in Lightwave CORE. Spent the 2 hours on this one. CORE is coming along nicely but there are some things Newtek is still working on that make modeling in CORE tricky, I'll leave it at that.

shrox
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
It seems my choice has been something of a trainwreck...here's a guide to what I was thinking anyway.

http://www.bachelorium.com/archives/2007/08/15/essential-rules-for-any-bustling-bachelor-pad/

Not that Snoopy is a swinger, but he is Joe Cool.

JR_LW
04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Shrox this is a great choice, sorry I don't have time to work on this, (baby on the way/work/wife ect.) We all grew up with Snoopy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNremK0cBEg&feature=related

sampei
04-06-2010, 09:45 AM
looking forward to seeing your entry shrox, show us the light !

shrox
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
looking forward to seeing your entry shrox, show us the light !

All righty then.

Started at 5:00, finished at 6:52 MST US

A cross between a 1950's malt shoppe and a strip club. This is just one part of his pad. Apparently Snoopy has a well equipped shop, a garage, a kitchen, a shower, a bowling alley and much more.

sampei
04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
I think snoopy should hire an interior designer ! cool render, well its between you and hrgiger, I wonder who will win ? oh wait, iain is supposed to come up with something, and you just know its gonna kick *** :D

shrox
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
...Iain is supposed to come up with something, and you just know its gonna kick *** :D

He'd better! Besides, I can't win anyway!

Should've gone with my first choice, "The Old West"

Iain
04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
I have modelled my doghouse but unfortunately my computer keeps cutting out on me. I think my fan or power supply is buggered :(

I'll try to get something posted!

sampei
04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
well that will have to be your next one !

sampei
04-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I think this challenge has been cursed by some deity.

shrox
04-07-2010, 10:10 AM
I think this challenge has been cursed by some deity.

No, not a deity, Christopher Walken...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/239816~Christopher-Walken-Posters.jpg

sampei
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
now that's a scary dude.

Iain
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Damn that Walken and his cowbell!

This is as good as its going to get as my computer won't last longer than 10 seconds into a render. Sorry Shrox!

I was going to set up a seedy gambling den/pool hall scene but hey ho. Dell.co.uk here I come.

TheDeacon
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
No, not a deity, Christopher Walken...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MMPH/239816~Christopher-Walken-Posters.jpg

heheh reminds me of an animation one of my classmates did at dave school
http://spdcreations.com/animations.html (it's the one on the upper right hand corner...)

RudySchneider
04-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Great concept, Iain... things are not always as they seem!

shrox
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Damn that Walken and his cowbell!

This is as good as its going to get as my computer won't last longer than 10 seconds into a render. Sorry Shrox!

I was going to set up a seedy gambling den/pool hall scene but hey ho. Dell.co.uk here I come.

Looks like a good place to hide form Christopher Walken.

JCG
04-07-2010, 02:55 PM
AHHH! I can't believe time is almost over. I have so many ideas for this one. I'll start with the one I'm 100% sure I can finish. Modeling time: 9 seconds.

The rabbit was shamelessly stolen from the web, since it's not part of the challenge, just to clarify the setting. Just quickly colored it. ...though I'm starting to feel strangely compelled to model that rabbit... NO! Bad! Focus!!

shrox
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
AHHH! I can't believe time is almost over. I have so many ideas for this one. I'll start with the one I'm 100% sure I can finish. Modeling time: 9 seconds.

The rabbit was shamelessly stolen from the web, since it's not part of the challenge, just to clarify the setting. Just quickly colored it. ...though I'm starting to feel strangely compelled to model that rabbit... NO! Bad! Focus!!

Where's Snoopy? That's the Matrix...which pill did bunny take?

JCG
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Ah, no. If I keep adjusting the fur I won't have time for the other two entries.

Modeling time... I don't know from when I posted the rabbit hole until now.

JCG
04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Argh! Too late; but it broke my heart not to be able to play in the SG1 week so I'll post it anyway. Since it's just a repeating pattern, I'll zoom on the wire.

I shouldn't have left the tardis for last :'(

JCG
04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Where's Snoopy?He sits on the roof!

shrox
04-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Ah, no. If I keep adjusting the fur I won't have time for the other two entries.

Modeling time... I don't know from when I posted the rabbit hole until now.

So you're just going to let Snoopy have all this stuff for free? Man, he is Joe Cool...

shrox
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM
So, who won? Iain seemed to get the idea there was more than meets the eye, so it's Iain! (The Old West would be a great subject for the next one...Iain.)

Iain
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks Shrox. I hoped to get something decent put together for a render but it wasn't to be.
Well done those who entered.

Onto the next :thumbsup:

shrox
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks Shrox. I hoped to get something decent put together for a render but it wasn't to be.
Well done those who entered.

Onto the next :thumbsup:

Your reward sir:

Iain
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Shrox, you're as mad as a barrel of monkeys. In a nice way!

New challenge......................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1007130#post1007130

chco2
04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Hehe.. I actually did not have the time to join (again) this week, but this was my idea as well.. an empty doghouse with the Stargate in it!.
Good job on the Stargate btw!

Argh! Too late; but it broke my heart not to be able to play in the SG1 week so I'll post it anyway. Since it's just a repeating pattern, I'll zoom on the wire.

I shouldn't have left the tardis for last :'(