PDA

View Full Version : HOT Ocean Plugin

JohnMarchant
03-31-2010, 03:47 AM
Hi, Can anybody point me to the plugin file. I have download from the site but its just the source and 2 win64bit .dll files. I cant find the mentioned .p file anywhere.

Thanks

tuomas
03-31-2010, 03:49 AM
Just load the hotocean4lw_xxx.dll as you would any other plugin :)

h2oStudios
03-31-2010, 03:53 AM
EDIT: ^ Nevermind. ;)

JohnMarchant
03-31-2010, 03:58 AM
Thanks guys didnt know it was that simple i was looking for a mention .p file.

Dont if feel a donkey now ;););)

dballesg
03-31-2010, 03:59 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I totally forgot to rename the .dll to .p when I zipped it.

Anyhow you can add a .dll as any other plugin.

David

h2oStudios
03-31-2010, 04:08 AM
:thumbsup:Striking, and cheers to Cageman's HOT Boat Tut along side your awesome Plug!:thumbsup:

JohnMarchant
03-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I totally forgot to rename the .dll to .p when I zipped it.

Anyhow you can add a .dll as any other plugin.

David

No inconvenience mate, dont know so much about plugins, didnt even know you could load in a dll the same as a P,LS,LSC. Thats my bad not yours.

Looking forward to using it.

Fadlabi
03-31-2010, 04:16 AM
Hi, David
when I click on the link the page get an error message.

Fadlabi
03-31-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi, David
when I click on the link the page get an error message.

walfridson
03-31-2010, 04:23 AM
Fadlabi: Nothing David can fix for you...

David: Awesome! :) The breaking sample uses DP nodes? Getting error on "NodeTexture" not found when loading breaking scene.

dballesg
03-31-2010, 04:24 AM
That is strange. It's working here.

I am uploading a sample scene from Lino Grandi and a rendered video. Maybe you just tried while I was uploading.

Give it like 30 minutes and try again.

David.

dballesg
03-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Fadlabi: Nothing David can fix for you...

David: Awesome! :) The breaking sample uses DP nodes? Getting error on "NodeTexture" not found when loading breaking scene.

Hi Johan,

Yes it uses them. Sorry I forgot to add a little note about that.

David

P.D: Thanks to Denis nodes there are a few interesting tricks that can be done with the plugin. So thanks to Denis P. for his great gems.

h2oStudios
03-31-2010, 04:40 AM
Yes it uses them. Sorry I forgot to add a little note about that.

David

P.D: Thanks to Denis nodes there are a few interesting tricks that can be done with the plugin. So thanks to Denis P. for his great gems.

What's the irony in that, lol. I'm working on a project that would perfectly benefit from such. Boats & ocean water.

Netvudu
03-31-2010, 04:31 PM
David, thanks for this fantastic contribution. I have used this baby on Houdini, but having it on Lightwave is terrific. Iīm going to test this ASAP.

Cageman
03-31-2010, 04:41 PM
Heya!

The boatrig tutorial relies HEAVILY on the developments Denis have done for the LW-community. He is a great innovator and have truly exploited what nodes can do even for an old architecture as within classic LW.

I really hope that whatever matters have forced him to close down his site, is going to be resolved. For those of you who have his tools, I hope you will enjoy the videotutorial.

Cheers!

:)

JohnMarchant
03-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Im glad i have Denis wonderful plugins. I cant believe someone would muddy the waters by passing it on to someone else. Hope this is resolved soon to Denis satisfaction.

Cageman
03-31-2010, 04:45 PM
:thumbsup:Striking, and cheers to Cageman's HOT Boat Tut along side your awesome Plug!:thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

dballesg
03-31-2010, 04:52 PM

David, thanks for this fantastic contribution. I have used this baby on Houdini, but having it on Lightwave is terrific. Iīm going to test this ASAP.

Thanks for those comments guys.

I'm sure Cageman appreciate as well. He is done a terrific job with that Boat Rig tutorial! :)

David

walfridson
04-01-2010, 03:02 AM
I like to thank your boss David. Allowing you to release this, that's cool :)

JohnMarchant
04-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Now ive finally seen cagemans HOT boat tug it all fits. This is quite simply an amazing plugin for free. Thanks allot David and cageman for the tutorial.

Jim M
04-01-2010, 03:16 AM
So where is Cageman's HOT Boat Tut?

I am uploading a sample scene from Lino Grandi and a rendered video.
And where are these?

Am i being dumb?

h2oStudios
04-01-2010, 03:18 AM
:thumbsup:http://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/updates/list

Jim M
04-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Oh right I am being dumb, I was there yesterday and didnt see the vid. :)
+Found Cages tuts. Ta.

Jim M
04-01-2010, 04:07 AM
I cant remember where I found Cagemans tuts (good work Cageman), but just as point of interest, I think its possible to use the time value in combination with nearest point to create an average between 2 points in time to get a "soft nearest point" which will eliminate the jittering.

dballesg
04-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments again.

I'm sorry the Google Page it's a bit (uhh strange??) :)

Had a look to the Wiki section on the Google page. I put three pages there for Tutorials, User Videos and the list of Third Party Libraries need in case someone wants to compile it for Mac.

David

JohnMarchant
04-01-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments again.

I'm sorry the Google Page it's a bit (uhh strange??) :)

Had a look to the Wiki section on the Google page. I put three pages there for Tutorials, User Videos and the list of Third Party Libraries need in case someone wants to compile it for Mac.

David

Cant wait to see some more examples of this in action, wonder how this would work with say cloth, and indeed fog and cloud layers

Glendalough
04-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks ever so much or somthing, what can one say?

Have been fumbling around with the Blender version of this which only works on a special build.

Must say also the PDF instructions/manual are a real plus.

sampei
04-01-2010, 05:56 AM
I also would like to thank the creators for such an awesome plug-in :bowdown:

Kuzey
04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Looks super cool...are there any plans for a Mac version??

Kuzey

dballesg
04-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Looks super cool...are there any plans for a Mac version??

Kuzey

I'll do it if I had a MAC, I do not have one. Sorry for that! :(

But the source code is on the web page. And because I used Mike Wolf lwpp, the plugin itself it doesn't contain any code incompatible that can't be compiled with a MAC (at least not to my knowleedge).

Except maybe the third party libs that it use (from the original Houdini Ocean toolkit) and I check them and they have XCode projects on a couple of them.

An user has asked me on Skype about compiling it, and he was giving it a try, but I do not know how long it will take to him. It was his first try to compile a plug-in.

David

geo_n
04-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Thanks for sharing the plugin. The surfacing on the renders look great too. Like white foam on peaks on the top of real ocean.

Kuzey
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I'll do it if I had a MAC, I do not have one. Sorry for that! :(

But the source code is on the web page. And because I used Mike Wolf lwpp, the plugin itself it doesn't contain any code incompatible that can't be compiled with a MAC (at least not to my knowleedge).

Except maybe the third party libs that it use (from the original Houdini Ocean toolkit) and I check them and they have XCode projects on a couple of them.

An user has asked me on Skype about compiling it, and he was giving it a try, but I do not know how long it will take to him. It was his first try to compile a plug-in.

David

Thanks for the heads up...hopefully it'll happen soon :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kevbarnes
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi
I don't know if I am missing something or not, but

I just downloaded 'hotbin_win32_H10.0.430_1.0rc8.zip' from the downloads
section on @ http://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/

but cannot find any File named 'hotocean4lw_xxx.dll'

And no LW scene files, is this plug-in used directly with LW or via an mdd from Houdini?

Jim M
04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
http://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/downloads/list

Kevbarnes
04-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Many thanks Jim M - didn't see this directory

dballesg
04-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Many thanks Jim M - didn't see this directory

I think that the link on the first page talking about the Houdini Ocean Toolkit it's confusing people from where to download the LightWave version.

But I do not want to take down the Houdini link, Drew Whitehouse deserves a lot of the credit for made the original houdini code so easy to port.

I will edit the main page and add a link stright to the downloads section of the LightWave plugin.

David

shrox
04-01-2010, 02:45 PM
I see tiling in the renders, can this be elminated?

dballesg
04-02-2010, 12:03 AM
I see tiling in the renders, can this be elminated?

Hi Shrox,

That is due to the "periodicity" nature of the Tessendorf algorithms. Think it as a seamless image texture repeated over a flat plane.

You can "break" the tiling, mixing TWO HOt Ocean Nodes on the Displacement nodal editor with two different Global Scales. You can do the same on the Surface Nodal Editor. :)

David

Fadlabi
04-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi, David
until now i have failed to download plugin.
may be the website can't allow server from Sudan to access.
can i find the plugin on other website?

Fadlabi

Netvudu
04-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Shrox,

That is due to the "periodicity" nature of the Tessendorf algorithms. Think it as a seamless image texture repeated over a flat plane.

You can "break" the tiling, mixing TWO HOt Ocean Nodes on the Displacement nodal editor with two different Global Scales. You can do the same on the Surface Nodal Editor. :)

David

This should indeed fix it. Let me chime in, and just for the record, say that this happens as well with the original Houdini version. It has nothing to do with the port.

dballesg
04-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi, David
until now i have failed to download plugin.
may be the website can't allow server from Sudan to access.
can i find the plugin on other website?

Fadlabi

At this moment no.

I think it's a case of Google Code blocking access from Sudan. :(

David

shrox
04-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Shrox,

David

Thanks. I see tiling in the real world as well...tilexic I guess.

JamesCurtis
04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
When I try to load the plugin[s] I get an error that won't let me install them. Says 0 plugins found. It happens even when I rename the .dll's to .p [32bit versions]. What am I doing wrong, or, are there updated .p files I didn't see or know about.

This is frustrating me. I'm on Vista mainly running the 32bit version of LW due to the prevalence of 32bit version plugins only. My Vista is 64bit, but I can also run 32bit aps.

Maybe I'll try the 64bit version of the plugin with 64bit LW.

Cageman
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Why on earth are you guys renaming the .dll? It shouldn't be necessary.

dballesg
04-16-2010, 03:50 AM
When I try to load the plugin[s] I get an error that won't let me install them. Says 0 plugins found. It happens even when I rename the .dll's to .p [32bit versions]. What am I doing wrong, or, are there updated .p files I didn't see or know about.

This is frustrating me. I'm on Vista mainly running the 32bit version of LW due to the prevalence of 32bit version plugins only. My Vista is 64bit, but I can also run 32bit aps.

Maybe I'll try the 64bit version of the plugin with 64bit LW.

Sorry for the delay, I'm off for a few days.

To install the plug-in, FIRST you need to copy the libfftw_x32.dll into the
LightWave Programs directory.

As Vehooy say the only .dll that you "want" to rename is the hotocean4lw_x64.dll. It's no need to do it, simply ask to show All Files on the browse windows panel that opens when you Add the Plugin.

BTW the procedure it's detailed on the manual.

And the

prometheus
04-16-2010, 06:30 AM
Why on earth are you guys renaming the .dll? It shouldn't be necessary.

not sure about that, after installing it as an dll, and trying to add it from
the displacement tab, it gives an error message that it canīt install the plugin, changing it to the p.extension got it working as it should.

Michael

Cageman
04-16-2010, 06:55 AM
not sure about that, after installing it as an dll, and trying to add it from
the displacement tab, it gives an error message that it canīt install the plugin, changing it to the p.extension got it working as it should.

Michael

Weird. Both LW at home and at work (x32 and x64 versions) never complained about the dll. However, if I would have forgotten to copy the libfftw_x32.dll into the programsfolder in LW, I would get the same error as you describe.

prometheus
04-16-2010, 07:01 AM
Weird. Both LW at home and at work (x32 and x64 versions) never complained about the dll. However, if I would have forgotten to copy the libfftw_x32.dll into the programsfolder in LW, I would get the same error as you describe.

That I did...I think:D
First time I tested it a couple of minutes ago

Awesome stuff anyway, cant wait until I get home and play with it,
if my whacky graphics card allow me to.

By the way Mikael..you should put up a donate button aswell for all the
tutorials you have been putting up and all the time involved, thanks for those.

Michael

JamesCurtis
04-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Got it working, guys! Thanks for the responses. Now to have some fun playing with it. I didn't peak at the manual first because originally I hadn't downloaded it. Sorry to have seemed like such an idiot.

erikals
04-29-2010, 12:03 PM
ps, just read that Terminator Salvation T4 used HOT

also, cool renders, based on Jerry Tessendorf's paper, (which also HOT is based on)
http://www.warpedspace.org/plugins/aaOceanSuite_1.5/aa_ocean.html

zareh
05-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi there,

I had a question about the plugin. First of all, it's a great plugin, thanks for bringing it to LightWave.

I'm trying to load the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001.lws scene but get the following error about texture nodes.
I can load the BreakingWavesHOT_Base_v001.lws just fine without any errors, however the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001.lws generates the error.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Zareh
P.S. please see attached screen grab.

walfridson
05-11-2010, 11:02 AM
You need Denis rman nodes

zareh
05-12-2010, 02:05 AM
You need Denis rman nodes

Thanks, I made sure I have the latest rman node collection (9/19/2009) but still got the error.
Zareh

dballesg
05-12-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks, I made sure I have the latest rman node collection (9/19/2009) but still got the error.
Zareh

Hi Zareh,

You need the Motion Nodes and DPKit from Denis .

David

dpont
05-12-2010, 02:57 AM
Hi there,

I had a question about the plugin. First of all, it's a great plugin, thanks for bringing it to LightWave.

I'm trying to load the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001.lws scene but get the following error about texture nodes.
I can load the BreakingWavesHOT_Base_v001.lws just fine without any errors, however the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001.lws generates the error.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Zareh
P.S. please see attached screen grab.

Texture node editor?
Here it is,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/Node_Editors.html#NodeText

Denis.

zareh
05-12-2010, 03:00 AM
That was it!

Thank you Denis, David & walfridson.

much appreciated,
Zareh

jay3d
05-22-2010, 01:12 AM
Hi guys,

The Mac OS X version of HOT plugin is available at downloads section :D
Please test and report!

Cheers!

dballesg
05-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi guys,

Please test and report!

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for compiling it for the Mac crowd Jameel.

David

Glendalough
05-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,

Please test and report!

Cheers!

Yes, Thanks a lot for porting this great Plugin to the Mac!

thekho
05-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Looks great! Thanks for your plugins, David! and also thanks for cool tutorial, Cageman! :thumbsup:

3dworks
05-25-2010, 05:18 PM
:thumbsup:

Hi guys,

Please test and report!

Cheers!

Magnus81
05-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Just thought I'd say thanks for such an awesome plugin. Also wanted to donate an ocean shader I whipped up. The shader is all procedural. Thanks again!!:thumbsup:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=85151&d=1274854929

JohnMarchant
05-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Very generous of you Dan

Hieron
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
looks great and many thanks Dan!

Magnus81
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Your welcome. Hope this plugin continues to grow. Awesome stuff.

NOTE: the shader is not nodal. It's setup to do simple whitecapping on the wave peaks, but nothing really sophisticated.
Later, Daniel.

Hieron
05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Texture node editor?
Here it is,
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dpont/plugins/nodes/nodes/Node_Editors.html#NodeText

Denis.

Hmm.. the 64 bit version's .rar file keeps coming up as corrupted here. The 32 bit one seems fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

Magnus81
05-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Hmm.. the 64 bit version's .rar file keeps coming up as corrupted here. The 32 bit one seems fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

I downloaded and extracted it without any problems. Hmmm. Try again?

Hieron
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
How bizarre... doing it via FireFox (IE still doesn't want to), it is fine here now too... never seen that before.. :)

Thanks

Magnus81
05-26-2010, 05:37 PM
How bizarre... doing it via FireFox (IE still doesn't want to), it is fine here now too... never seen that before.. :)

Thanks

That is weird!:bangwall:

omichon
05-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Here is a problem I encounter with the plugin (which is great BTW).
I have Lightwave installed on a server, on a shared volume. I run Lightwave from another Computer on the network.
But, when I load a scene using HOT ocean plugin, I got an error message saying that libfftw_x32.dll can't be found.
Since I can load the scene on the server without any problem, I don't understand why it can't be found (the dll is in the Program dir).
I tried to put the dll in the local system32 dir, but it doesn't help :(
Any idea would be welcome !

littlewaves
05-31-2010, 04:38 AM
is the mac version dependent on leopard? Tried to load with tiger but plugin wouldn't install

Hieron
05-31-2010, 06:27 AM
Here is a problem I encounter with the plugin (which is great BTW).
I have Lightwave installed on a server, on a shared volume. I run Lightwave from another Computer on the network.
But, when I load a scene using HOT ocean plugin, I got an error message saying that libfftw_x32.dll can't be found.
Since I can load the scene on the server without any problem, I don't understand why it can't be found (the dll is in the Program dir).
I tried to put the dll in the local system32 dir, but it doesn't help :(
Any idea would be welcome !

My bet would be that the .dll is using an absolute path. So it is looking for the .dll in for instance: c:\program files\Newtek\Lightwave\programs\ while your computer may not have that directory. (since LW is installed on your server).

Perhaps duplicating the dir structure to the computer with only that .dll in it may work? (as a workaround)

omichon
05-31-2010, 06:38 AM
My bet would be that the .dll is using an absolute path. So it is looking for the .dll in for instance: c:\program files\Newtek\Lightwave\programs\ while your computer may not have that directory. (since LW is installed on your server).

Perhaps duplicating the dir structure to the computer with only that .dll in it may work? (as a workaround)

doh ! that's it. Thank you Hieron !
I really hope to have this absolute path thing fixed for a next build, please.

Edit : I have reported this issue on the hotocean4lw page.

jay3d
05-31-2010, 02:12 PM
is the mac version dependent on leopard? Tried to load with tiger but plugin wouldn't install

Do u have PPC or Intel machine?

littlewaves
06-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Do u have PPC or Intel machine?

intel imac core 2 duo 2.16 ghz OSX 10.4

Exception
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Goodness grief, this is fantastic!

Thanks guys for all the effort, I'll be sure to use this.

Magnus81
06-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Just a quick buoyancy test I did using Sticky modifier to make the boat float on the surface. Actually I had to duplicate the ocean grid, and lower resolution, and use this one for Sticky Modifier. Then, simply made the lower res grid unseen by camera, and disabled shadows,ray, etc.:D

Hieron
06-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Inspired by Cagemans tutorial on using nodes for a floater rig and Magnus81 here above :) : a small alteration:

Attached a playblast of the result and a image of the only Nodal panel used. (instead of many)

Alterations:
-The visual sea does not drive the rig, a way smaller sea with subdivision set to "Last" does(shown in movie as vertices). Making it smoother and less prone to react to small waves such as the visual sea would have. More like a low pass filtered signal.
-The 4 corner nulls are tied to this displacement sea with Sticky, simpler and "nearest neighbour" could give odd jumps when a null is in between two vertices.
-There is only 1 more null that derives all info from the 4 nulls by 1 nodal setup as seen in the image. All info is in 1 panel and can be altered there.

Thanks Cageman for that tutorial, hope someone is aided by this.

Ow, before I forget: Thanks again Denis Pontonnier for making stuff like this even possible.

85402 85403

Hieron
06-05-2010, 03:57 PM
And here a slightly tuned up version, using HOT so it is more on topic :) Put in a model for cooler viewing and a preview render showing the awesome surface by Magnus (literally loaded his surface and pressed render, thanks man).

The nodal panel is getting more crowded now, I added a better sensitivity to waves in the middle of the ship and the corresponding roll. So it is 6 stickied Nulls now driving their info in 1 nodal panel to which the ship is bound.

Cool stuff! Will use this soon. Thanks to the person that ported it to LW.

85404 85405 85406

Hieron
06-06-2010, 05:37 AM
Rendered to movie.

(did anyone figure out how to get rid of that annoying gamma shift in Quicktime encodes? The whole odd movie properties trick is not really doing what it should... :( ) editL: ah I remember, it is the Direct3D video acceleration. Turning that off gives good gamma again.. New workstation and I tend to forget stuff like that..)

Magnus81
06-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Hieron;1027159]And here a slightly tuned up version, using HOT so it is more on topic :) Put in a model for cooler viewing and a preview render showing the awesome surface by Magnus (literally loaded his surface and pressed render, thanks man).

Your welcome! Just hope this plugin gets more of a following.
Wish we could get some "white" water cresting around the front of the boat. Cool stuff! :thumbsup:

CharlieL
07-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Yes, this is really fantastic! A big THANK YOU to all contributors from plugin creators, to creators of documentation, tutorials and even for making files with examples available for studies and training. To me the HOT Ocean Plugin is one of the greatest additions
to LW that I have met.

I have been using LW since version 5, but only part-time. And I am still a newbe when it comes to dynamics. Recently I started to look into the HOT Ocean plugin. Therefore I have a few basic questions on the accompanying files: BreakingWavesHOT.

1/ When opening BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL it asks
"Canīt find Dynamics Peak Particle Emitter.pfx"
Is it needed? I canīt find it.

2/ What purpose does the file BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFX_Erasers_v001 have?
A complement or just an example?

3/ Are there any explanations anywhere on the details in the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001 scene?
Like, should the HOT plugin settings in the Object Properties : Deform
be exactly the same for both BreakingWavesChopAPS:Ocean as
for WhiteWater, every time?

dballesg
07-27-2010, 12:11 PM
Yes, this is really fantastic! A big THANK YOU to all contributors from plugin creators, to creators of documentation, tutorials and even for making files with examples available for studies and training. To me the HOT Ocean Plugin is one of the greatest additions
to LW that I have met.

I have been using LW since version 5, but only part-time. And I am still a newbe when it comes to dynamics. Recently I started to look into the HOT Ocean plugin. Therefore I have a few basic questions on the accompanying files: BreakingWavesHOT.

Thanks for the comments, I'll try tyo help you as best as I can because I did those scenes so looong ago :)

1/ When opening BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL it asks
"Canīt find Dynamics Peak Particle Emitter.pfx"
Is it needed? I canīt find it.

I didn't added it because it was slightly big, you need to recalculate the dynamics yourself from BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFX_Erasers_v001 and save the PFX.

2/ What purpose does the file BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFX_Erasers_v001 have?
A complement or just an example?

That is the scene to calculate the Dynamics. The erasers are there to avoid to calculate particles outside the camera frustrum.

3/ Are there any explanations anywhere on the details in the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL_v001 scene?
Like, should the HOT plugin settings in the Object Properties : Deform
be exactly the same for both BreakingWavesChopAPS:Ocean as
for WhiteWater, every time?

Well you generally want the WhiteWater for the particles have initially the same movement as the one used as displaced Ocean. THat is why they have the same settings.

Sorry but I didn't do any kind of doc for that scene, I thought that people will learn more dissecting it.

I hope this little small explanations helped.

David

CharlieL
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the comments, I'll try tyo help you as best as I can because I did those scenes so looong ago :)

I am very pleased to hear that as I have not struggled with dynamics and displacement so much earlier.

I didn't added it because it was slightly big, you need to recalculate the dynamics yourself from BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFX_Erasers_v001 and save the PFX.

Good, now I got it!

That is the scene to calculate the Dynamics. The erasers are there to avoid to calculate particles outside the camera frustrum.

In order to decrease file size and processing time, I suppose.

Well you generally want the WhiteWater for the particles have initially the same movement as the one used as displaced Ocean. THat is why they have the same settings.

Yeah, I guessed that, so it would be best to copy the settings and aviod
tweaking just one part. Changes have to be made both for the
WhiteWater and Ocean objects.

Sorry but I didn't do any kind of doc for that scene, I thought that people will learn more dissecting it.

Yes, if I were more like a surgeon than a homeopathist it would maybe
work. But I do not complain now as I have got contact with the creator himself!

I hope this little small explanations helped.

David

Great David, I do feel better already!

I will come back on this as soon I understand what to ask in order to progress.

Maybe a little advice concerning the ocean. My ocean is 1.6 x 1.6 km in size
divided up in 80x80 squares. Is it too big to handle for LW and the plugin?
But I have set the Global Scale to 800m in the HOT-plugin.
Or, would it be wiser to set the Global Scale to full size?

Thanks a lot!

dballesg
07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
In order to decrease file size and processing time, I suppose.

Yes :)

Maybe a little advice concerning the ocean. My ocean is 1.6 x 1.6 km in size
divided up in 80x80 squares. Is it too big to handle for LW and the plugin?
But I have set the Global Scale to 800m in the HOT-plugin.
Or, would it be wiser to set the Global Scale to full size?

Thanks a lot!

Sounds to me like a good scale. I suppose you are using a sub-patched grid, so you can always reduce the Display Subpatch level to work with it more comfortable.

With that Global Scale, the ocean will be repeated 4 times (2 on each direction). Maybe you will need to nade it bigger if you start seeing a repeating pattern on the Ocean. Biut I do not think you will have any problem with your actual Global Scale.

David

CharlieL
07-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you David,

Now, I also wonder whether the WhiteWater-object should have the same
size as the Ocean-object. Now it covers just a small part of the ocean as
it did in your BreakingWater-file.

Another detail I think I read about somewhere was that the Ocean-plane
should be centered on origo. Mine is now displaced towards +Z. Maybe that
will affect how the plugin will work.

dballesg
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Thank you David,

Now, I also wonder whether the WhiteWater-object should have the same
size as the Ocean-object. Now it covers just a small part of the ocean as
it did in your BreakingWater-file.

Another detail I think I read about somewhere was that the Ocean-plane
should be centered on origo. Mine is now displaced towards +Z. Maybe that
will affect how the plugin will work.

In my scene i made the WhiteWater object smaller so it will generate the particles on a concentrate area.

It doesn't matter if you move your ocean object, the plug-in always project the Ocean from the Y axis on object space. So if you move the object, the texture moves with it.

David

CharlieL
07-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Thanks, things getting clearer. I hope that I will have something to show soon.

archijam
07-28-2010, 04:19 AM
Holy ****.

Nice work guys.

Remember not to overcook it, she's almost done :thumbsup:

JBT27
07-28-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't know how I missed this, and thanks to me getting the wrong end of the stick when replying to CharlieL's question, I now have this installed and messing about with it.

Absolutely brilliant - thanks very much to all those who made it happen - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Julian.

CharlieL
07-28-2010, 07:34 AM
In my scene I made the WhiteWater object smaller so it will generate the particles on a concentrate area.

Now when I try to choose settings in the FX_Emitter I am lost because
there are so many options. Lots of questions arises. If I look into the
FX_Emitter: Generator>Generate, one can choose e.g. Wind Speed or
Collision event, which depends of how it is thought to work. The Nozzle
can be Object-Surface, Parent-Collision or Parent-Emitter and so on.

What is the theory behind how it works? I think the Particle Emitter have to
work in conjunction with the peaks of the waves, or is it the WhiteWater-
object that will emit particles when it get together with the peaks of the
Ocean. How is it constructed?

In order to generate the PFX-file I have to sort these things out. Maybe
there are examples using the same type of solution available somewhere?

CharlieL
07-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Absolutely brilliant - thanks very much to all those who made it happen - much appreciated :thumbsup:

Julian.

Yes Julian, brilliant is the right word! Welcome out on deep waters!

dballesg
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Now when I try to choose settings in the FX_Emitter I am lost because
there are so many options. Lots of questions arises. If I look into the
FX_Emitter: Generator>Generate, one can choose e.g. Wind Speed or
Collision event, which depends of how it is thought to work. The Nozzle
can be Object-Surface, Parent-Collision or Parent-Emitter and so on.

What is the theory behind how it works? I think the Particle Emitter have to
work in conjunction with the peaks of the waves, or is it the WhiteWater-
object that will emit particles when it get together with the peaks of the
Ocean. How is it constructed?

In order to generate the PFX-file I have to sort these things out. Maybe
there are examples using the same type of solution available somewhere?

Charlie, charlie, charlie (sorry always wanted to say it) :D

The trick is on the BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFXErasers scene.

Did you noticed the T activated near Birth Rate, that T means that there is a texture applied, a Nodal Texture (by grace of Denis P. excellent plugins). Inside that texture there is a Gradient on Y that controls the birth of the particles! :)

David

CharlieL
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
The trick is on the BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFXErasers scene.

Could you please elaborate little more on that? Do you mean that I only
distill the PFX-file from the BreakingWavesHOT_PeaksPFXErasers scene?
After that I apply the PFX-file into the Dynamics tab for the WhiteWater-
object in the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL scene?

Did you noticed the T activated near Birth Rate, that T means that there is a texture applied, a Nodal Texture (by grace of Denis P. excellent plugins). Inside that texture there is a Gradient on Y that controls the birth of the particles! :)

David

That was deeply hidden! Found it after some effort. It is a bit hard
to comprehend how everything is connected.

I havenīt noticed Node Textures inside the Texture Editor before.
To me they have been two competing/completing surfacing systems.

Now I have to apply this and check the output. But still I feel confused,
maybe on on a higher level, or should I say a deeper level...

CharlieL
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Does this mean that the workflow for the BreakingWater-scene is
something like this:

1/ Create a scene with an Ocean-object and a WhiteWater-object.
Position the Camera and arrange the Light-settings.

2/ Make a copy of the scene. Delete the Ocean-object.
Add the Eraser-boxes, and add Dynamics to the WhiteWater-
object and the Node-textures. Save a PFX-file from this.

3/ Add the PFX-file to the WhiteWater-object in the first scene and render.

dballesg
07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Does this mean that the workflow for the BreakingWater-scene is
something like this:

1/ Create a scene with an Ocean-object and a WhiteWater-object.
Position the Camera and arrange the Light-settings.

2/ Make a copy of the scene. Delete the Ocean-object.
Add the Eraser-boxes, and add Dynamics to the WhiteWater-
object and the Node-textures. Save a PFX-file from this.

3/ Add the PFX-file to the WhiteWater-object in the first scene and render.

Yes, you got it! :)

CharlieL
07-29-2010, 02:58 AM
Which settings will generate the high amount of small waves in this picture?
This rendering comes from frame 368 in the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL-scene
that David Ballesteros have enclosed to the HOT Ocean Toolkit.

So how do I emphasize the small waves? Any hidden gem here?

To me it is beginning to look that the HOT Toolkit is best suited for small
local waters and not for whole seascapes with large areas of water.
But I hope I am wrong on this!

dballesg
07-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Which settings will generate the high amount of small waves in this picture?
This rendering comes from frame 368 in the BreakingWavesHOT_FINAL-scene
that David Ballesteros have enclosed to the HOT Ocean Toolkit.

So how do I emphasize the small waves? Any hidden gem here?

To me it is beginning to look that the HOT Toolkit is best suited for small
local waters and not for whole seascapes with large areas of water.
But I hope I am wrong on this!

Shortest Wave, Wind Speed and Damp Reflections are the ones you are looking for.

Charlie did you read the HOT_Guide.pdf??

Shortest Wave:
On the ocean there are a series of different waves of different sizes. This
parameter will filter out the waves below this length (meaning they will
not appear on the displacement or normal map).

Wind Speed:
This is not a “real” wind speed setting, but affects the “look” of the waves
depending on its value.

Damp Reflections:
On a real Ocean, you get waves travelling in opposite directions. The Damp reflections parameter will reduce the amplitude of the waves travelling in the opposite direction to the main waves

David

CharlieL
07-29-2010, 04:46 AM
Shortest Wave, Wind Speed and Damp Reflections are the ones you are looking for.

Charlie did you read the HOT_Guide.pdf??

David

Yes, I have read it, and it is a good guide when it comes to individual settings.
It is a bit harder to figure out how to combine them in order to get a
predictable result. Some settings also seem to have a rather low
impact on the output, but maybe they are critical in some cases.

For example: When trying to give a big object (1.6 km) a lively water surface
with a lot of small waves between the bigger ones, the easiest way is to
decrease the Global Scale.
But that will cause an obvious repeating pattern which may work in
close-up views, but not in overviews.

What I am after is to hear experience on how to handle repeating patterns.
Would it be best to combine some nodes of the HOT Ocean Toolkit,
where maybe one have a Global Scale for the whole object and another
for a certain part of it that can blend at certain settings. It does not
seem to be enough to play with one HOT Ocean Toolkit node.

My large area oceans are not wavy but more like swells from far away
when I instead would like to have a more windswept look.

dballesg
07-29-2010, 05:42 AM
For what you are describing, I will mix at least two HOT Ocean nodes inside the Surface Editor and the Nodal Displacement ones.

You can always mix one HOT Ocean node, with other fractal texture like crumple to break the repeating pattern.

David

CharlieL
07-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Yes, I have to try and se what I can get out of mixing with traditional textures.
Maybe I have looked too hard at the HOT plugin.

psychostyrene
01-10-2011, 03:39 PM
im blown away with the quality of this water simulator... and even more so when i look at the terrifying tree of nodes associated with it...
can someone please giveme some advice on looping the wave effects?
i have to create a turnaround for a project and need the waves to synch at the end ive played around with duplicating the channels and modifying the inputs and cross disolving them and cant seem to find what im doing wrong....
its a 300 frame scene, with the beautiful lino water as a base.

cheers

psychostyrene
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM
OH and im wondering how i might add a flat texture layer as a multiplier as well...

cheers
again.

dballesg
01-10-2011, 03:58 PM
im blown away with the quality of this water simulator... and even more so when i look at the terrifying tree of nodes associated with it...
can someone please giveme some advice on looping the wave effects?
i have to create a turnaround for a project and need the waves to synch at the end ive played around with duplicating the channels and modifying the inputs and cross disolving them and cant seem to find what im doing wrong....
its a 300 frame scene, with the beautiful lino water as a base.

cheers

Hi,

I think because the H.O.T Ocean is based on the Fast Fourier Transform, really the texture can't be a loop. I will need to ask Drew, the original author of the Houdini Ocean Toolkit.

But I'm thinking that you can render a sequence of images and then cross fade the start of the sequence with the end. And use that new sequence as a displacement texture on your scene.

From the Manual:

HOT Nodal Version (2D):
This version is like the 3D one, but you can use it with the excellent
Dennis Pontonnier Image Node Editor and Pixel Filter Node Editor to
generate image sequences.
Note: The render size of your image or sequence must be equal to the
resolution used on the Ocean, see the resolution parameter table.

So I will use the mention Denis Pontonnier nodes to apply the texture as 2D on a render of for example 512x512 pixels, save that sequence of images and then using a video editor, or LightWave itself to load the sequence on a plane a cross fade it to make the loop.

Hope this helps.

David

psychostyrene
01-10-2011, 04:06 PM
thankyou for your reply sir. thats the same conclusion i came to....which is good because im on the right track, but bad... because i still understand virtually nothing about this shader :D
its a bit of a brute force workaround tho :D

cheers

dballesg
01-10-2011, 04:19 PM
thankyou for your reply sir. thats the same conclusion i came to....which is good because im on the right track, but bad... because i still understand virtually nothing about this shader :D
its a bit of a brute force workaround tho :D

cheers

But a needed workaround. As I said, the FFTW library that generates the waves, I think it can't be looped. The original algorithm by Tessendorf (in which the Houdini Ocean Toolkit is based) used the study of statistical models of the Ocean.

I've never seen the sea loop itself producing exactly the same waves twice! :D So we need the workaround!! :)

David

daforum
02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Did anyone use the Mac version of this plugin successfully?

What Mac OS does it work on (10.4/ 10.5 etc)?

CaptainMarlowe
02-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Worked fine in 9.6, 9.6.1 OB and 10 in 32-bits (not available in 64-bits right now) with Leopard and Snow Leopard, for me.

Here's a test (http://gallery.me.com/captainmarlowe#100192), and another one (http://gallery.me.com/captainmarlowe#100165), using Dan's Ocean shader

jay3d
02-15-2011, 02:55 AM
Did anyone use the Mac version of this plugin successfully?

What Mac OS does it work on (10.4/ 10.5 etc)?

I compiled it for Mac, and 10.6 or later is a requirement for it to work, sorry :(

daforum
02-15-2011, 03:42 AM
No problem and thanks for the info jay3d :)

I do have LW 9.6 on my other Mac running Snow Leopard, so all should work fine?
(I'll probably bake out any animation i end up doing so as to transfer to and render on my 10.4 machine)

Are there any tutorials on how to install and use?

Phil
02-15-2011, 04:24 AM
I compiled it for Mac, and 10.6 or later is a requirement for it to work, sorry :(

Is the XCode project available (or included)? I'm idly curious about how plugin projects are organised on the Mac :D

dballesg
02-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Is the XCode project available (or included)? I'm idly curious about how plugin projects are organised on the Mac :D

Jay3D need to upload his code to the repository, if I remember correctly, I gave him the rights to do it.

David

CaptainMarlowe
02-15-2011, 05:47 AM

Do you plan to get it working in 64-bits ? That would be awesome.

blueshift
02-17-2011, 05:13 AM
I've downloaded and installed the plugin but haven't begun to try it out could anyone direct me to what tutorials might be available to a raw beginner. Also I was wondering is it possible to get it to interact with a ground object such as a shoreline to simutate the water lapping upon the shore ?

dballesg
02-17-2011, 05:52 AM
I've downloaded and installed the plugin but haven't begun to try it out could anyone direct me to what tutorials might be available to a raw beginner.

The plugin includes a manual, and there is a tutorial by Cageman:

http://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/wiki/Tutorials

Also I was wondering is it possible to get it to interact with a ground object such as a shoreline to simutate the water lapping upon the shore ?

Um that could be atricky to do. But I'm thinking with nodes will be possible to get the distance from the water surface to an object and control a foam texture with it.

David

prometheus
02-17-2011, 06:11 AM
I've downloaded and installed the plugin but haven't begun to try it out could anyone direct me to what tutorials might be available to a raw beginner. Also I was wondering is it possible to get it to interact with a ground object such as a shoreline to simutate the water lapping upon the shore ?

Nahh...we need this..
http://www.flowlines.info/rndreel01.html

Michael

blueshift
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
Wow that's some kind of impressive fluid software but if their making it availabte for sale I,m sure I couldn't afford it.

Lightwolf
02-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Wow that's some kind of impressive fluid software but if their making it availabte for sale I,m sure I couldn't afford it.
So far they haven't. You basically by the use of it (which includes people actually working on it).

Cheers,
Mike

prometheus
02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
So far they haven't. You basically by the use of it (which includes people actually working on it).

Cheers,
Mike

Business talk between Newtek and flowline is always encouraged,:D Ivé
mentioned that a couple of years ago when I first saw this.
Probably a whole lot of obstacles for this to ever show up within lightwave
core, money,techical aspects and what agenda flowline and newtek has etc.

Today we have a fire and smoke fluid solution, but miss the liquid fluids, thou it might show up in turbulence someday..scanline flowline is already there with both types.
A good presentation in front of flowline showing Lightwave Core and Itīs structure might help business talk, but then again core needs to impress for a presentation.

Michael

dballesg
02-18-2011, 01:21 AM
Nahh...we need this..
http://www.flowlines.info/rndreel01.html

Michael

You're more than welcome to program a fluid dynamics plugin and make it open source for the community!!!! :D

prometheus
02-18-2011, 02:37 AM
You're more than welcome to program a fluid dynamics plugin and make it open source for the community!!!! :D

Im too busy, and I do not work or have knowledge in that area ..nor do I work for Newtek or flowline, let people do what they do best:D
I just want to surf on the fluid waves.

Michael

blueshift
02-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Don't mean to sound ungrateful, recieveing "H.O.T." for free is much appreciated, it's just that a freind asked me if I could do a Carribean beach anim. to composite green screen for a competion he wants us to enter. I have Vue 5 Infinite so the sand, sky and Coconut Palms shouldn't be a problem but the animated water I don't think Vue 5 Infinite can do the interaction of waves lapping up on the beach.

dballesg
02-18-2011, 07:48 AM
Don't mean to sound ungrateful, recieveing "H.O.T." for free is much appreciated, it's just that a freind asked me if I could do a Carribean beach anim. to composite green screen for a competion he wants us to enter. I have Vue 5 Infinite so the sand, sky and Coconut Palms shouldn't be a problem but the animated water I don't think Vue 5 Infinite can do the interaction of waves lapping up on the beach.

Vue 5 Infinite Water? (http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2163669)

Yes you can do it on Vue 5 with the Distance to object below, that is why I suggested you can do something similar with HOT and nodes. I think Denis Pontonnier DP Kit has a node with a similar function.

David

blueshift
02-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Vue 5 Infinite Water? (http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2163669)

Yes you can do it on Vue 5 with the Distance to object below, that is why I suggested you can do something similar with HOT and nodes. I think Denis Pontonnier DP Kit has a node with a similar function.

David

Thanks David I'll look into that. So many apps I've been learning LW, Adobe Video Production Premium (Photoshop,Afftereffects,Premier,Soundbooth,Illust rator,Encore Etc.) That Vue has taken a back seat up until now. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

jds580s
04-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Is there a way to speed up the motion of the waves?

There don't seem to be any time controls and my current setup looks good but feels like it's in slow motion just a bit.