PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.6 to 3dsmax 2010 uv mapping issue.

Igu4n4
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Hello,..

I have a couple of Lightwave created and 3d-coat uv-textured models that we're trying to move into Max.

The models and textures come in fine into Max (un-sub'd), but the UV interpolation comes in as apparently linear. If we Subpatch the object in Max, the UV remains linear by appearance.

In modeller we change the UV interpolation to Subpatch, and everthing is fine so we do our work, and export as an OBJ.

How do I change the way that Max is reading the UV map inerpolation so that it represents itself correctly once the model is subpatched?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve.

artstorm
03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
The UV map is unwelded by some reason when you bring it into max. I haven't found any setting in max's obj import to change this behavior. What I usually do is to weld the UV map manually after being imported to max. I set the weld tolerance to the lowest and batch select all UV vertices not being to close to each other and weld them at once, and if there's some left that was very close I weld them one by one afterwards.

I don't know if any easier method exist (I don't use max that often). It usually only takes a couple of minutes to do this, but I'd love to be able to have it done automagically.

GraphXs
03-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Artstorm's got it right, select all vert and weld the verts in Max's UV space, set the tolerance to .001 and weld away. Maybe another thing to try is FBX the objects over. The UV's might be welded already. If I have time I will give it a try.

Igu4n4
03-30-2010, 07:54 PM
thanks for the reply Johan,..

I mostly understand what you're suggesting, but after a little more playing around, it seems that the distortion is only occurring along the UV seams. I'm attaching some images to this message to illustrate.

The LW subpatch UV is the desired goal.

The max import (after turbosmoothing), is mostly right but you can see the distortion along the seams (I included an image with the seams for reference). It's almost if those seams are not welded? I went in and tried to weld them in the max UV editor, but didn't seem to have any noticeable success in changing the distortion.

Any further thoughts? I can include the model if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

Steve.

Igu4n4
03-30-2010, 07:57 PM
actually will attach the model and map, regardless, if you're going to look into it. Better doing it with a purposeful subject :)

I appreciate the help guys. Trying to keep Lightwave alive and kicking in the studio pipeline, so... united front kinda thing ;)

Steve.

GraphXs
03-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Why not just freeze the mesh in LW to get the supbatch and UV space corrected. That should work!

Igu4n4
03-30-2010, 08:11 PM
ya.. that's an option.. but trying to figure out the issue at play, and how to correct it the most non-destructively. (as well as find solutions moving forward between the two programs in this respect).

Steve.

GraphXs
03-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh, by the way, nice model!

Igu4n4
03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
ah thanks.. it's one of many for an uncoming Nikon broadcast spot... (So I'd appreciate it if the models didn't go any further than our "ahem" scientific experimentation) :)

Steve.

H_Molla
03-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I like the model..

GraphXs
03-30-2010, 08:27 PM
Did ya bake in the color/spec/reflections/etc? Did u use LW baking?

GraphXs
03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
The quickest way is to sub-d(freeze) the object at lv2 and the UV's will look great in Max and turbo smooth still works. (Because the UV now contains the sub-D shape)

-Another thing ya can of is Sub-D at lv 1 and freeze it.
-The poly count stays the same and the UV's take on the Sub-D look.
-The only issue is the models topology changes at lv1. (No good)
-So yr going to have to copy UV's paste UV's to the base camera.
-The native copy/paste UV's don't work good, and the point order changes when I unweld to get a clean UV copied and pasted to the default mesh.
-Might still get some minor UV issues because the LV1 is not rounded in the UV, but just tapered at that level.

I know some plug-ins exists that correct the point order or even better ones for copy/pasting UV. I believe they are from D-Storm?

Anyone else remember what the plug-ins are?