PDA

View Full Version : Randomizing Texture Sequence times (HD Instance)

joelaff
03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Anyone know of a way to randomize the start time of a image sequence used as a texture?

I have person on a polygon that is cloned a bunch of times with HD instance. I'd like have each copy of the person start their texture sequence at a random time so that they do not all move in unison.

Any thoughts on this? The HD Instance time controls do not seem to support this. Since this time shifting is at the surface level it remains consistent for all instances with the same surface.

Looks like I will have to make multiple versions of the object with textures set to different start times and then clone those.
But I was looking for a simple way.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Lightwolf
03-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Since LW loads the image before it renders a frame, you can't shuffle between frames of a single sequence.

I'm not sure how the surfacing in HDInstance works. If it is nodal and returns some unique ID for every differing surface, then you can use the db&w Sequencer node to drive a gradient, and then basically pipe different image sequences through a texture mapping node each into published keys on the gradient (in the range of 0..1, probably with stepped keys).

Cheers,
Mike