PDA

View Full Version : Offsetting a Frame Sequence

laronson
03-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Need a little help....

I'm making a scene with a model of a strip of motion picture film with 20 frames, consecutively.

I want to have the same frame sequence on each of the film frames of the model, which I know how to do. But what I can't seem to figure out is how to offset each of the consecutive frames by one frame, just as an actual piece of film would be, so that while all frames are playing the same movie in them, each in sequence is delayed by one frame from the frame before it, down the line.

I hope I am making myself clear on this... is there anyone that can tell me how to accomplish this, I assume in the surfacing panel?

Many Thanks!

nickdigital
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I think you need to have 20 different surfaces for each of your film squares. And then duplicate your sequence 20 times and in Layout offset each one by the amount you want and then assign each of these sequences to your surface group.

laronson
03-30-2010, 12:30 PM
I actually did that -- each "Frame" on the modeled strip of film has a separate surface name (Frame01; Frame02; Frame03; etc).

When I assign the frame sequence to the first frame -- it's just fine (open SURFACE EDITOR, then hit the T [texture button] on the COLOR attribute to open the Texture Editor, then select the EDIT IMAGE button and pick "Sequence" as IMAGE TYPE, and down at the bottom of the panel I enter "1" as the Start Frame)

But the problem arises when I go to the next "Frame" of my modeled film strip, with a different surface name, and then apply the same image sequence and follow all the steps listed above, with the exception that I enter a "2" as the Start Frame. When I then go back to the first Film Frame Model, the Start Frame on it is now also "2" -- it did not retain the "1" originally entered. I thought there was same way to offset the clip by however many frames desired, using the same source clip/frame sequence on differently named surfaces. Perhaps I'm wrong....

nickdigital
03-30-2010, 12:44 PM
You need to duplicate the sequence. Don't use the same image sequence.

When you duplicate the image sequence it should add a "+" to the end. So if your image sequence was called FilmStrip_001.tga your image editor should look something like this:
FilmStrip_(sequence)
FilmStrip_(sequence)+

For the one with the "+" set the start frame to your offset. Duplicate the original sequence entry and change the offset again.

Now assign those sequences to each of your surfaces. So it would look something like this:
Surface01 is using FilmStrip_(sequence)
Surface02 is using FilmStrip_(sequence)+ which has the 1 frame offset
Surface03 is using FilmStrip_(sequence)+2 which has the 2 frame offset

Shnoze Shmon
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM
No experience with this so I'm a little curious why the envelope graph editor wouldn't work to adjust each surface start frame.

nickdigital
03-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Maybe with nodes you can but I'm not even sure about that. With the old school texture system the start frame of a sequence isn't accessible in the Surface Panel/Texture layer.

laronson
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks, Nick! I actually found this out by (of all things....) the RTFM method! There it was on page 1512 (of a LW ver. 8 manual).

All is working well. I wonder, though, by duplicating the sequence if it takes up significantly more RAM space on the system? Oh well... as long as it works, that's the important thing!