PDA

View Full Version : Texturing help

zippitt
03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
I have found various tutorials on UV mapping and while I get the concepts I am having the hardest time just creating a UV map.

I have been successful in creating UV maps for simple objects, but what I am working on is far more detailed.

Most of the tutorials that I seem to find cover soft body, unfortunately the project I am working is a 300K poly hard body model.

I am not sure if using the checkerboard is the way to go with a hardbody, but I have seen it in softbody tutorials in order to limit your texture distortion in the end.

I just need direction to a good tutorial, more specifically for hardbody models. Free is preferred but I am willing to pay if it's worthwhile.

sampei
03-30-2010, 09:22 AM
checkerboard is good with whatever to check distortion, what kind of model is it specifically if I may ask ? once you grasp the basics of how UV mapping works you and practice a bit, you can approach with confidence objects of any form.

zippitt
03-31-2010, 08:20 AM
The model is a space fighter, I guess I would have to find something simpler and work my way up. The current model seems a bit daunting atm.

sampei
04-02-2010, 10:05 AM
yeah, a big help in understanding UV mapping came from the book LWv9 texturing by Snow..you might want to check it out.

Konidias
04-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Since it's hardbody I'm guessing that it's made up of many pieces... If so, you just break down the UV maps for each piece. You can select a group of faces that show best along a certain axis, and then planar UV map that group of faces. Then you can select another group of faces that run along a different axis, and planar UV map those to the same UV. What you end up with is a bunch of isolated areas in the same UV map. This can be handy in a lot of cases but I'm with Sampei, I think you need to tell us a bit more about the model (or show it to us).

There are quite a few ways to tackle this situation depending on what your mesh looks like.

zippitt
04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I thought of doing each of the planes individually but it seemed like the seams would cause issues if there were too many of them...

Anyway here is the model, it's a mix of subpatches and faces and the main body is frozen subpatch.

I think I should have just made it all subd, at least the body wouldn't be so out of control.

sampei
04-07-2010, 10:35 AM
cool model ;)
the subpatched mesh looks unecessarily dense though, and while in theory this helps your UV map be more precise, the reality is that it can be a nightmare to edit.
For texturing something like that imo you need multiple maps: try and think of each shape as a cilinder or box and you'll see that mapping them will become a logical process.
For example for the cannons, unwrapping them cinlindrically on whichever axis travels through the shape (X or Z).
The subpatch topology is different, you need to plan carefully and consider what you are going to paint on it and how ? is it really necessary to have it all on the same UV ? you could always blend various UVs via alpha maps, and bake a final map with surface baking camera. Just a thought but you have many options.
It really all depends on the texturing work you have in mind.