PDA

View Full Version : FAO: Lee Stranahan, Lightwave in London

DarkLight
09-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi Lee,

Do you have any more details of where the london event is going to be held?

There's only 10 days to go and i still need to sort out some accomidation.

ghopper
09-10-2003, 01:26 AM
I would like to know more details as well, since I'm also interested in attending the LW tour. Is it it 100% sure that this event is happening ?

DarkLight
09-10-2003, 01:58 AM
I hope it's 100% sure that it's happening. I've already paid for it.

Matt
09-10-2003, 02:06 AM
How much is it?

I wouldn't mind coming down too, be good to meet the master! :)

DarkLight
09-10-2003, 02:13 AM
It's 125.00 for the two days.

geoff
09-10-2003, 08:22 AM
I hope it is 100% as well..
I have paid for the seminar
Paid for my train ticket down to London
Booked a hotel for the weekend in the centre of London (although this can be cancelled)
arranged for a baby sitter for my 3 year old son (wife works weekends)..

so I will be well disopointed if it all falls through :confused:

moth0027
09-10-2003, 09:28 AM
A have already suggested this in another thread but when we know where this is going to take place we should meet up afterwards for drinks.

It'll be great meeting all you guys.

Matt
09-10-2003, 11:00 AM
that would be cool!

pauland
09-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by geoff
I have paid for the seminar
Paid for my train ticket down to London
Booked a hotel for the weekend in the centre of London.

The last UK 'London' event was held in Bath!

The last two training events organised by Newtek Europe were cancelled without notice. I had to email them a few days before they were due to start, for confirmation of venue, only to discover they weren't happening.

I imagine if Lee is going to Amsterdam, he'll also make the London event (wherever that will be).

If it all happens you'll have a great time, and hopefully there'll even be CDs... ;-)

Paul

DarkLight
09-10-2003, 01:05 PM
I think the event will take place as Lee has stated in another thread that he has already booked tickets to Amsterdam and London :D

To any lightwave users in the london area, even if they are not going to the event. It looks like we will going for a drink after the event and it would be cool if you could come along to that.

adboy
09-11-2003, 03:00 AM
where about you thinking about going too in london?

archimage3d
09-11-2003, 03:05 AM
I am also really keen to go to this, but need to know where it will be hosted before I can make arrangements.
(not registered for it yet, so I hope that there are still places.)

Cheers

Mark

DarkLight
09-11-2003, 03:06 AM
where about you thinking about going too in london?

It will depend on where the event is, but i'm open to suggestions. I don't know London very well

moth0027
09-11-2003, 03:25 AM
As soon as we find out where it is I'll do some research near the venue and post here.

Matt
09-11-2003, 07:21 AM
we'll all need to wear the NewTek squiggle so we can find each other!!!

:)

Matt
09-11-2003, 07:23 AM
archimage3d where in Warwickshire you based? I'm in Leamington Spa!

moth0027
09-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Lightwave squiggles, avatars or something like that would be good.

Stranahan
09-11-2003, 05:33 PM
It's 100% going to happen...

My plane ticket is booked, and I'm staying with Ben from PresetCentral.

We don't have a venue yet - I have feelers out to a few people, and am waiting to hear back. We have never, ever had a seminar delayed because we haven't had a venue.

ghopper
09-11-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Stranahan
It's 100% going to happen...

That's good to hear. Do you have a rough idea when you will have more information about the venue, since this would help me in choosing a place to stay. Obviously I would like to arrange for a place near the venue.

How many people are there roughly going to be ? Maybe it would be a good idea to do a group hotel booking or similar for all the attendees who haven't got a place to stay yet.

DarkLight
09-12-2003, 12:31 AM
We don't have a venue yet - I have feelers out to a few people, and am waiting to hear back. We have never, ever had a seminar delayed because we haven't had a venue.

At least it's going to go ahead :D Let us know as soon as you find somewhere.

Matt
09-12-2003, 02:17 AM
Lee can you give out some details of the seminar, what topics are covered, to what level etc. I need to figure out whether I'm coming to the seminar of just the drink!

Cheers
Matt

Matt
09-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Hey DarkLight!

Re: your avatar . . .

As you can probably guess I loved Space Ace too! although with a name like 'DarkLight' I would have thought you'd have gone for a picture of 'Hexter', Dexter's alter-ego dark side!!!

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pics/spaceace/pic12.jpg

DarkLight
09-12-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Matt
Hey DarkLight!

Re: your avatar . . .

As you can probably guess I loved Space Ace too! although with a name like 'DarkLight' I would have thought you'd have gone for a picture of 'Hexter', Dexter's alter-ego dark side!!!

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/pics/spaceace/pic12.jpg

Seeing you avatar give me the idea. Dragons Lair is one of my all time favorite games :)

Hexter is cool, but i couldn't find a decent picture of him. I'll have to dig out my DVD version of the game later and grab one from there.

Matt
09-12-2003, 03:34 AM

Have a hunt here:

Dragon's Lair Project (http://www.dragonslairproject.com)

wizlon
09-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Hey ghopper, let me know when you find some accomodation, there's two maybe three of us coming down from Bristol.
I'll have a look around also and post the details when the venues sorted.

Cheers.

Lee.

DarkLight
09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking of stopping with my brother in Reading and traveling down to london by train. It all depends on if the event is near a tube station.

Depending on what time the event finishes i may stop in London on the Saturday Night.

@Lee Stranahan
What time do the events normally finish? I know you start at 10am.

Stranahan
09-12-2003, 04:30 PM
Around 5:30pm, usually

DarkLight
09-13-2003, 12:34 AM

ghopper
09-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by wizlon
Hey ghopper, let me know when you find some accomodation, ...
Lee.

As soon as there's more info about the venue, I'll start looking for some accommodations as well.

DarkLight
09-13-2003, 11:28 AM
ghopper,

Let me know when you find somewhere to stay. I may be stopping on london on the Saturday night and it may be cool to stay in the same place as everyone else :)

Stranahan
09-15-2003, 03:31 AM
Here's the letter we just sent out to everyone currently registered...

I'm very happy to announce that I've picked a location for this coming weekend's LightWave seminar in London...

I've decide to do it at the hotel I'll be staying at - the Berkeley Suites, very very close to Heathrow Airport. Because I'm doing the seminar at my suite, this means two things...

1) Enrollment is very limited
2) I'll be serving all attendees my Texas style Chili. That's right - Chili and LightWave! Plus, attendees will be getting 4 CDs packed with content, plus a bonus DVD from Class on Demand. (NTSC)

But - as I said - enrollment is very limited, as is the space...

This notice is going out to everyone, paid or not. If you ARE paid - please write immediately to confirm. If you aren't paid, enrollment is on a first paid basis.

The easiest way to pay is via credit card using PayPal...

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=leestranahan%40hotmail.com&item_number=London&amount=125.00&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP

Directions to the location on LearnLightWave.com and here...

http://uk.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=europe&lon=-0.44999900&lat=51.46670151&cat=hot&icon=X

Please remember - if you plan to attend, contact us right away and note whether you are paid or not.

Hope to see you this weekend!

DarkLight
09-15-2003, 03:34 AM
Thanks Lee :)

I've paid and i will definatly see you there :)

geoff
09-15-2003, 04:35 AM
Hi Lee
I have also paid, and will see you there :)

archimage3d
09-15-2003, 04:38 AM
I have just paid aswell! So I look forward to seeing you all there.

Mark

ghopper
09-15-2003, 01:07 PM
I've just paid as well, now just gonna check out the prices of the Berkeley Suites and see whether it's affordable ;)

cya all

Matt
09-15-2003, 02:09 PM
65 for a 'standard' room for one night, sleeps two so the bill could be halved if someone wanted to share (don't worry they have separate beds!)

DarkLight
09-15-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday. This should be fun :D

geoff
09-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Hi Lee
Do we have any idea on the finish time on Sunday?

My train ticket back to Leeds is booked for 6pm
(booked by my employer), and for some reason
British Rail are insisting that pre-booked tickects
can not be changed. So unless I can sort something
out when I get to Kings Cross station I will have to leave
at about 4.30pm on Sunday.:(

pauland
09-16-2003, 12:50 AM
That almost sounds like you want the class to finish early so you don't miss anything!

Paul

geoff
09-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Hi Paul
Well I wouldn't like to miss anything (who would), especially if there will be some significant "tricks and tips" at the end of the seminar
If the seminar will defiantly go on until 5.30, I will try and sort out a later train when I get into London (fingers crossed).
But if the finish time will be around 4pm, then I don't want to waste money trying to book a unnecessary return train.

Not trying in the least to instigate a early finish for the London event just to accommodate me :) .....

pauland
09-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Geoff,

If you are going to try and catch the 6PM, I'd research the travel times. I don't think the hotel is near the bus/tube/rail so there will be a delay getting there via a shuttle, plus travel into London (Paddington) and then a tube journey to Kings Cross. Here's the URL of the hotel (I think it's the right one) : http://www.londontoolkit.com/heathrow/berkeley_suites_heathrow.htm

Some good info the in the link section.

Have a good time (you certainly will).

Paul

Stranahan
09-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Ok, gents...

I'm about to hit the road. I'm driving 1800 miles from Austin Texas to Newark International Airport, where I fly out Thursday...

ghopper
09-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Ok, gents...

I'm about to hit the road. I'm driving 1800 miles from Austin Texas to Newark International Airport, where I fly out Thursday...

WAIIIIT ;)

I still need to know whether I've enrolled - I've just PMed you and also emailed you yesterday. Please let me know.

ghopper
09-17-2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by ghopper
WAIIIIT ;)

I still need to know whether I've enrolled - I've just PMed you and also emailed you yesterday. Please let me know.

Oh well, guess I'll find out on Saturday ;)

pauland
09-17-2003, 03:13 AM
Get yourself a ladder, then you can watch through the window.. ;-)

Paul

Matt
09-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Guys how much did you pay for the course - 125 or 199?
I've seen both these prices on the web!

Cheers
Matt

DarkLight
09-17-2003, 05:56 AM
The course price is $199 which is about 125.

I paid 125.

ghopper
09-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by DarkLight
The course price is $199 which is about 125.

I paid 125.

If you follow this link (https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=leestranahan%40hotmail.com&item_number=London&amount=125.00&no_note=1&currency_code=GBP) Lee posted earlier you'll see that it costs 125, that's how much I paid anyway.

ghopper
09-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Btw, where are you guys all staying ? Are you staying at the same Hotel as Lee ?

I haven't decided yet, gonna have a proper look at some more hotels tonight.

65 at the Berkleys Suite isn't too bad - but to reduce this cost further let me know if anyone is up for sharing a room as Matt suggested.

Also, now that we know where this event is happening, where are we going to meet after the session as Moth suggested ?

DarkLight
09-17-2003, 09:00 AM
I'll probably be staying with my brother up in Reading and driving down in the morning. I've not decided yet.

The problem we're going to have meeting up is the hotel is a fair distance from the center of London and i imagine there is not a great deal near the hotel itself.

I don't know the area very well, so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

moth0027
09-17-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm probably going to have to drive. I'm going to phone the hotel about parking tomorrow some time.

As for drinks I have no idea but I imagine the hotel has a bar. I'll ask about that tomorrow too.

DarkLight
09-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Most hotels have bars. If that one doesn't there's a few more close by so one of those will :D

moth0027
09-18-2003, 03:24 AM
OK...

spoke to a lady at the hotel. Every room is allocated a single space in the car park so it looks like I won't be driving. The only problem is that the nearest Underground to me is closed on the weekend due to track works. I't going to take more then that to stop me however.

The lady did mention (if anyone is interested) that the best way on the Piccadilly Line is to get off at Hatton Cross and take any bus to Harlington Corner (where the Holiday Inn is) and they are right next to that.

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 03:29 AM
That's probably going to cause me a problem as i'm going to have to drive.

I'll have to see if there's somewhere nearby that i can park.

moth0027
09-18-2003, 03:30 AM
Oh, one more thing...

does anyone know when things will kick off so I can estimate what time I'll have to leave?

PS quite glad I can't drive now if were going to meet up for drinks :D

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 03:37 AM
It starts at 10am, but i think you can get there anytime after 9:30

ghopper
09-18-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by moth0027

The lady did mention (if anyone is interested) that the best way on the Piccadilly Line is to get off at Hatton Cross and take any bus to Harlington Corner (where the Holiday Inn is) and they are right next to that.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks to the track works I have to travel to Luton and from there to Kingscross instead of travelling straight to Kingscross :(

ghopper
09-18-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by DarkLight
That's probably going to cause me a problem as i'm going to have to drive.

I'll have to see if there's somewhere nearby that i can park.

You can have my parking space - I'll probably gonna stay at the Berkley's suite.

And if Lee isn't gonna lease a car in London then there will be another free slot ;)

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks mate, that's a great idea :)

geoff
09-18-2003, 05:27 AM
I will not be driving as well, so mine is up for grabs..

moth0027
09-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks, you guys are great, but I'm not sure if I will take the car anyway...

I don't want to turn up to find loads of people fighting over a couple of spaces. Does anyone know how many people are expected to go?

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 02:15 PM
I doubt that there is many people attending if it is being held in the hotel. Lee did say that numbers are very limited.

I'm thinking about stopping in the hotel on the saturday night. It would save me a couple of hours travel time. Anyone interested in sharing a room to save some money? If so, contact me.

geoff
09-18-2003, 03:01 PM
DarkLight

Prices listed are per person per night, so sharing isn't going to reduce the cost of a room...

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 03:06 PM
Oh, i thought it was per room.

Never mind. I guess i'll drive then :)

ghopper
09-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by geoff
DarkLight

Prices listed are per person per night, so sharing isn't going to reduce the cost of a room...

If you actually go ahead and try to book a room it says :

"The following room types are available from Saturday 20 of September 2003 for 1 night.
Prices displayed are per room per night."

The only problem is that it has only one big bed in it and not two as Matt mentioned earlier.