PDA

View Full Version : LightWave newbie wants in...

Mutley Eugenius
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
OK guys, I'm here. NewTek user for 15 years, had LightWave for all of that, but never really figured it out.

Animated a plane over a landscape once, but that's where it ended.

I wanna know this program really well and be able to do stuff with it, I've been in 3DGrafix for years, just not in lightwave.

Where do I start. I know all the principles, just not the user interface.

Who knows some cool tutorial videos somewhere I can watch to do stuff?

One of the things that trips me up mentally about LightWave is this:

You make a model in modeller, then you animate it in LightWave. But you can't keyframe parts of a model in Modeller, can you?

I can make the camera follow the plane, I can keyframe the plane's motion, but how do you get the plane to drop it's wheels at a certain point? Do the wheels have to be a different model grouped to the plane itself and rotated around a pivot point?

That's about as far as I ever got with it before I... well.. stopped.

Twisted_Pixel
03-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Good place to start - http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php
I'm sure someone else will pop in with plenty more examples :)

Twisted_Pixel
03-29-2010, 02:33 PM
One of the things that trips me up mentally about LightWave is this:

You make a model in modeller, then you animate it in LightWave. But you can't keyframe parts of a model in Modeller, can you?

Correct you make the model in Modeler and animate in Layout, each layer in modeler will count as a seperate 'object' in Layout.

I can make the camera follow the plane, I can keyframe the plane's motion, but how do you get the plane to drop it's wheels at a certain point? Do the wheels have to be a different model grouped to the plane itself and rotated around a pivot point?

In very basic terms, you would keyframe the wheels in rest position at the start and at the point you wish them to start unfolding. Set the end position at the desired key frame and tweak the rotation/movement to suit. As with the first response, the wheels would just have to be in a separate layer. Though they would need to be parented to the plane object (or a null that the plane is also parented to). 'm' for motion options will help with the parenting.

Hope that's enough to kick start things atleast :)

Mutley Eugenius
03-29-2010, 02:36 PM
That's a gerat answer, thanks very much.

I don't have the manual for LW anymore, can I download it around here someplace?

OnlineRender
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
probably

SEARCH : bible

RebelHill
03-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Good place to start - http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/training.php
I'm sure someone else will pop in with plenty more examples :)

Theres plenty more examples to be sure... but these mentioned really are the best place to start if starting from scratch.

As for the manual, you can download it from your registration page

http://register.newtek.com/

Twisted_Pixel
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
If you go into the registration section of the website, to the My Downloads tab the manuals are available in PDF format.

SplineGod
03-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Lots of good LW tutorials on www.vfxcast.com
and on Youtube.com

fudini
03-29-2010, 04:23 PM
The first DVD on this page is perfect if you want to learn how to rig an airplane:
http://www.desktopimages.com/VFX.shtml#DI2109

prometheus
03-30-2010, 12:46 AM
using layers and parenting is the proper way to go in most cases.

But you can also create a morph in modeler without having to use layers
if the wheel part isnīt a connected geometry to the aeroplane but still belongs to the object in same layer, you can select the whole wheel part, create an endomorph and rotate it how you want it.
you have to add morph mixer in the deform tab and add displacement/morph mixer and from there control the morph manually or setting up envelopes,works equally for setting up fast doors opening or windows.
but in most cases you probably have more control with layers and parenting.

Edit..you might want to search for cagemans tutorials, I believe he has a tutorial on something about an aeroplane and wheels.

Michael

prometheus
03-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Havent checked the tutorials through, but they might be usefull..

ftp://LightWave:[email protected]/Cageman_Aeroplane_move_on_ground

and index over some more from cageman
ftp://cageman.dyndns.org/

Michael

erikals
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
check my signature... ;]

Mutley Eugenius
04-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Wow, looks like I sure posted in the right place!

Thanks guys for your help. Lemme digest all this for a while!

sampei
04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I think someone should make a sticky for beginners, I've noticed that a lot of similar threads keep popping up quite often.
I'm thinking a big list with tutorials on the web, free and commercial, books and lightwave schools(?). If a mod agrees I could make it and that would save newbies from opening threads and waiting for replies..just a though ;)

Silkrooster
04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
I think someone should make a sticky for beginners, I've noticed that a lot of similar threads keep popping up quite often.
I'm thinking a big list with tutorials on the web, free and commercial, books and lightwave schools(?). If a mod agrees I could make it and that would save newbies from opening threads and waiting for replies..just a though ;)

There already is kind of :hey:

In my signature is a link to a pdf of several sites for tutorials, forums, etc. Anyone is free to post this link on the forum. it is stored on my website that also has a links page with similar links.
The main website that I promote quite often is Scott Cameron's database of tutorial which you will find on both the links page and pdf.

Anybody that makes a tutorial, plugin or other resource for Lightwave can feel free to post it on my wiki, which I can then look over and decide to post on the link page or pdf.