PDA

View Full Version : Rob Powers in Newtek: Positive influence in CORE development ?

Nemoid
03-29-2010, 05:52 AM
Rather than wanting to start a new discussion about CORE and giving life to possible flames, I basically want to first off congrat with him for being in Newtek, now.
And then i wanna discuss:
Do you guys think he could posetively influence CORE development?
And in your opinion, how?
I want no flames in this thread please. Be mature.
If Nt thinks the argument could be inflammatory, please remove.

Thanx!

SBowie
03-29-2010, 06:17 AM
I want no flames in this thread please. Be mature. If Nt thinks the argument could be inflammatory, please remove.Virtually any conversation can be either constructive (which does not preclude useful constructive criticism) or inflammatory - depending on how people choose to phrase their remarks. If we show the maturity you ask for above, maintaining civility should not be difficult.

Do you guys think he could posetively influence CORE development? And in your opinion, how?It would probably be useful to review a few points made in the press release.

First, Rob's title is "Director of Entertainment and Media Development". The press release helps a bit when it comes to deciphering what that might mean in practice: "Rob will serve as a liaison between studios, 3D artists and NewTek, sharing the benefits of LightWave 3D® with the visual effects community and communicating the studios’ and artists’ needs to the NewTek LightWave 3D development team."

Jim Plant, president and chief executive officer, added: “Rob will be a tremendous asset for NewTek, and an advocate for the 3D community as we continue to develop new, innovative technologies that meet the growing needs of visual effects producers.”

The key word in all of this to me seems to be "liaison", which I am picturing as implying a partially ambassadorial tasking, but with a generous helping of deep technical involvement that elevates it beyond a token 'celebrity spokesman' role into one that provides a very practical , hands-on assignment related ti strategic user-developer communication and problem solving.

Matt
03-29-2010, 06:45 AM
When I saw his title "Director of Entertainment and Media Development" my first thoughts was that role has nothing to with the development of LightWave or CORE, despite everyone getting excited about the prospect, but clearly NT would be missing an opportunity if they didn't gleen his knowledge of LightWave in production, and how that can help BOTH LightWave and CORE.

Plus I would imagine he would WANT to get involved somehow.

SBowie
03-29-2010, 07:09 AM
When I saw his title "Director of Entertainment and Media Development" my first thoughts was that role has nothing to with the development of LightWave or CORE ...Although not directly part of the dev team, I think this falls under "communicating the studios’ and artists’ needs to the NewTek LightWave 3D development team."

Titus
03-29-2010, 07:48 AM
Virtually any conversation can be either constructive (which does not preclude useful constructive criticism) or inflammatory - depending on how people choose to phrase their remarks. If we show the maturity you ask for above, maintaining civility should not be difficult.
It would probably be useful to review a few points made in the press release.

First, Rob's title is "Director of Entertainment and Media Development". The press release helps a bit when it comes to deciphering what that might mean in practice: "Rob will serve as a liaison between studios, 3D artists and NewTek, sharing the benefits of LightWave 3D® with the visual effects community and communicating the studios’ and artists’ needs to the NewTek LightWave 3D development team."

Jim Plant, president and chief executive officer, added: “Rob will be a tremendous asset for NewTek, and an advocate for the 3D community as we continue to develop new, innovative technologies that meet the growing needs of visual effects producers.”

The key word in all of this to me seems to be "liaison", which I am picturing as implying a partially ambassadorial tasking, but with a generous helping of deep technical involvement that elevates it beyond a token 'celebrity spokesman' role into one that provides a very practical , hands-on assignment related ti strategic user-developer communication and problem solving.

It sounds to me Rob is doing the work done by Proton, just with another title.

Nemoid
03-29-2010, 08:38 AM
I remember some year ago, Newtek was connected with Meni Tsirbas,(dunno if they hired him directly, tho) and this lead to cool things in Lw, like phantom points for subpatches and other things.
I Think this could happen again.
However, even as a Lw evangelist as Proton was, Rob seems to be the right man.:thumbsup:

Also, i read this onto the CGTalk article:

"It brought a flow of communication for the art department, production, and post facilities that was useful and unique.
I see similar patterns - being a centralized communication hub, conveying that workflow at NewTek. So it's similar in that way. It's different in other ways, but it's exciting to think about having an impact on the tools and helping streamline the process in a way that's good for the artists.

I'll be using NewTek's technology for my own art and I look forward to pushing the limits. I want to contribute the production experience I've had, and I can be here in Los Angeles for the production community."

Nicolas Jordan
03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
The CGSociety article hints that Rob will be involved with Core technology that Newtek is developing. It sounds to me like he will be helping the development of Core out by contributing his production experience and in that way influencing it's development to streamline work flows. It would be a huge waste if he wasn't in some way part of Cores development. I don't think there is really any reason to speculate what his role is as it will likely involve many things Lightwave. :)

Kuzey
03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
As for "liaison" part...I just gather his still getting up to speed and will start posting regularly on these forums soon :thumbsup:

PS...is Rob related to the lead singer on the Metallica band :hey:

Kuzey

Weetos
03-29-2010, 11:17 AM
PS...is Rob related to the lead singer on the Metallica band :hey:

wow didn't know that !

Twisted_Pixel
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
wow didn't know that !

Kuzey meant it as a question, just dropped an invisible ? in at the end :)

twillit
03-29-2010, 11:29 AM
So that's who he looks like, it been bugging me for weeks!

Weetos
03-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Kuzey meant it as a question, just dropped an invisible ? in at the end :)

haha I read that a little too fast, and somehow mentally inverted the first two words of Kuzey's sentence :foreheads

Kuzey
03-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry about that...hehe :D

Kuzey

Nemoid
03-30-2010, 03:48 AM
thanks it was great to hear from you guys !:thumbsup:
the only 100% positive thread involving the word LW CORE :D

Kuzey
03-30-2010, 05:38 AM
Going by the job description...it sounds like Rob might be on the road a lot. Pushing LW/Core to non LW studios and getting feedback from those who already use it.

Anyway...new faces and new perspectives are always a good thing.

PS...is Rob going to take over the productions of Core videos/demos, will he be the public face of Core...so to speak?

Kuzey

Nemoid
03-30-2010, 02:33 PM
This is a good question ! First off i have to say i appreciated very much Proton as a Lw evangelist, his movies are well done. And , who knows... actually i think yes, Rob could do movies as Proton did: it would be awesome !

Weetos
03-30-2010, 02:50 PM
PS...is Rob going to take over the productions of Core videos/demos, will he be the public face of Core...so to speak?

Not sure this is part of his assigned tasks, but this would be great though ! Proton left a vacant seat and we all miss his videos