PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop style overlay options

Mutley Eugenius
03-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Photoshop has some awesome possibilities to overlay images onto eachother, like straight transparency, or the screen, multiply, darken & lighten options that would be fantastic to see in SpeedEDIT as ways to do overlaying.

Enable a clip to overlay and then do a right click to get the overlay mode you want would be a great feature.

I'm sure Adobe has copyrighted their tricks, but it's just mathematical possibilities that are being used, there has to be a way to incorporate it into SpeedEDIT and other NewTek products too.

Of course with rendering to bitmap, photoshop batch automation and SE's new import sequential images as a video option (which smokes BTW), this can all be done manually, but I would love to be able to do it instantly in SE!

Please consider it. :newtek::thumbsup:

radams
03-27-2010, 06:37 PM
Those are called blend modes...and yes that would be nice to have :)

joseburgos
03-28-2010, 11:17 AM
And I'll go a step further, they are in a NewTek product already, actually two of them. They are in Lightwave in the surfaces section and in Aura. Well to be technical, only Lightwave was written by NewTek but both programs have blend modes in them.

And yes it would be nice to have some blend modes in SE :)

Mutley Eugenius
03-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Aye, there's the rub. (Hamlet)

I'm terribly slow in Lightwave and Aura - never learnt them. Is there any way to duplicate the 'screen' blending mode in SE 2.0?

It's such a nice effect and I really want to use it for a certain project but for a rather long section - don't want to do it frame by frame in photoshop.

joseburgos
03-28-2010, 12:02 PM
If you have Photoshop, do you have AE? If so, do it there. If not, sorry but no way to use blend modes in SE :(
What effect in particular are you trying to mimic or is it just blend modes period as a feature?
Again, I too would love to have NewTek includes blend modes in SE 2.

Mutley Eugenius
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
No, I don't have AE.

I want to do fireworks over darkish background footage, and it's something I am going to want to do a lot of in my future. The screen blending mode in Photoshop does this flawlessly. It's just adding the luminance values of the two images.

I've done a simulation workaroung using lumakey, but after lots of tweaking the lumakey function inherently darkens the background because of the operation of the smoothing effect, and no smoothing looks too fake.

That means that my background drops a couple of F-stops as soon as the overlay starts, so I have to overlay all of it or none of it to get rid of this. That's all.

joseburgos
03-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Do you have a couple of images or short video to show so I can be sure of what you are trying to achieve?

Mutley Eugenius
03-28-2010, 02:39 PM
I can't post anything because I haven't been able to do it. But the look I am going for is...

Remember the scene in The Lord Of The Rings where Gandalf does that whole fireworks show over the Shire at the party?

That's the look.

I can do it to a degree, but I get the darkening as mentioned in my previous post, and the overlay lacks the vibrance that I get in the bitmap sequences that Particle Illusion renders. The bitmaps are great at render, but once overlayed they lose a lot of that retina-burning pizazz that fireworks need. So I crank the contrast & saturation but it just aint the same as a really good screen blending mode...

Right now I'm going to settle for the 'OK', but in the future I'm gonna work on the 'AWESOME'.

SBowie
03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
I generally us Add mode for fireworks, flames, explosions .... sometimes Add and a color blend.

Mutley Eugenius
03-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Add mode? In SpeedEDIT?

SBowie
03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
No, there is no Add mode in SE.