PDA

View Full Version : Tricaster recorded output to Final Cut Pro

fuelcreative
03-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Wondering what people's thoughts are on output formats that are Final Cut Pro compatible. It doesn't appear that the high quality MPEG setting out of the XD300 will work in it's native form. We had to take that and run it through SpeedEdit and create a high quality MP4 file. It worked ok but it would have been better if we could have gotten a high quality QuickTime or been able to work with the raw files. We weren't able to keep our footage in HD if we went to QuickTime.

Zane Condren
03-27-2010, 01:32 PM
The "High Quality" Setting in TCXD300 uses Studio Profile MPEG2 which is not supported by Final Cut. However, the normal mode is fully supported by the latest version of Final Cut.

DrVideo
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
The Normal Mode Mpeg2 from the Tricaster is too Jagged to give professional results. I'm glad that I had recorded to DVCam Tape as a back-up. I hope that Newtek will provide us Final Cut Editors with a quicktime solution.

SBowie
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
The Normal Mode Mpeg2 from the Tricaster is too Jagged to give professional results. I'm glad that I had recorded to DVCam Tape as a back-up. I hope that Newtek will provide us Final Cut Editors with a quicktime solution.Actually, the normal mode is better quality than DVCam - you may have some config issue, I suspect.

bbailey
03-30-2010, 04:44 PM
You're using the XD300 for capture, which camera(s) are you running? I have a Sony EX3. Last year for UIL marching contests here in Odessa, I decided to use my brand new, one week old EX3. I'd used a Z1U two years prior and really liked it but I wanted to use my newest camera. Both cameras have the ability to downconvert in real time to letterbox for DVCAM recording. I use the Z1U in HD to gt a wide angle on the field to see as much of the big bands as possible. The Z1U downconverted a very nice NTSC letterbox picture.

My EX3 has a composite out with crop or Letterbox so I went with letterbox to DVCAM. I also recorded the four local bands in HD with the internal media at the same time. When I began editing the bands for master I was ashtonished as to how bad and stair steppie the video was. The image downconverts in real time but the quality is seemingly only for monitoring, unlike the Z1U. But I have recorded with the internal media and dropped the files in HD to Final Cut for editing. When the video is for NTSC airplay I have to down convert. The first time I cut video onto the timeline and took it to full screen, cropped, I was seeing the same stair steppie problem as before when recording to NTSC in real time. However, as soon as I rendered the clip on the timelin, the jaggies went away and the video compares to BetaCam SP or DVDCAM. The EX3 only records in HD so there isn't an option for recording real time NTSC 4 X 3.

If you haven't tried rendering the video you imported from the XD300 to FCP you might try it before you give up on it.

Zane Condren
03-30-2010, 04:46 PM
That makes a lot of sense since the XDCAM-EX Format is MPEG2 in a MPEG4 wrapper.