PDA

View Full Version : Basic Character Checklist by Remoc

Remoc
03-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I have finished reading the book " Essential Lightwave v9 " and I often
need to produce characters for tv ads I make. However there is alot
to remember from the book spread over many pages. So I created this checklist to make it easier not to forget anything crucial.

Anything crucial I have left out of my list?

Remoc's 3D Character Production Checklist

MODELER
Use statistic panel to find odd points & polygons. ( 1 & 2 point polys ect. )
Attempt to make as many quads as possible ( by merging triangles together ect. )
Fix Polygon Flow on your model. ( use spinquad ctrl + k )
Polygon Reduction ( Select two polys, then run Band Glue )
Set weight maps ( wm_leftleg, wm_rightleg, wm_arms, wm_head, wm_body )
Create Skelegons ( remember the importance of the viewport it is created in )

LAYOUT
Convert Skelegons
Name all your bones. ( use Setup | Edit |Rename Hierarchy ) eg. Add Prefix - "LeftArm_"
Correct bone orientation with bone twist tool. ( then Record Pivot Rotation + Rest )
Set the weight maps to the correct bones. ( make sure ALL bones have a wm )
Lock rotation channels not to be used on the bones.
Deactivate MAIN Bone ( select & Ctrl + r )
Turn off Show Subpatch Cages in OpenGL Tab ( in preferences )
Set Inverse Distance ^128
Set Subpatch order for object to Last
Set Joint Compensation & Muscle Flexing for all required bones.
Set Bone rotations limits for all required bones.

IK SETUP STARTS HERE

RebelHill
03-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Fix Polygon Flow on your model. ( use spinquad ctrl + k )
Polygon Reduction ( Select two polys, then run Band Glue )

... Depends on the mdoel really, if you've modelled from scratch its best to address these issues during modeling rather than after the fact.

( remember the importance of the viewport it is created in )

... Not actually that important as you can easily re-orient bones in modeler.

Correct bone orientation with bone twist tool. ( then Record Pivot Rotation + Rest )

... Again, this can be done in modeler, and can sometimes be tidier to do so.

Set the weight maps to the correct bones. ( make sure ALL bones have a wm )

... Actually not necessary. Often you can get better deforms without weights for some bones, or having multiple bones assigned to the same map. You will usually need some maps to isolate larger areas, torso, arms, legs, and areas that are very close together in base pose, individual fingers for example... but still a LOT depends on the model.

Deactivate MAIN Bone ( select & Ctrl + r )

... Umm... why? not necessary, and ideally ALL your bones should be activated. If influence from a given bone isnt required, it should simply be set to 0% strength.

Set Inverse Distance ^128

... Also not encessary, and again a lot depends on the model, most specifically its polygon desity/resolution. Its usually best to monkey around with different fallofs during the skinning process to find which gives the most pleasant results for what you're actually doing.

As for stuff left out of your list... its not so much that as stuff left out of the BOOK... there've been some HUGE changes in rigging across the board from v9/9.3 to the latest 9.6 version, which the book doesnt cover.

Remoc
04-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Could you tell me which HUGE changes to rigging there have been.
You don't need to explain them, just a small list...
then I can go off and find out more online.

Thanks in advance.

ReMoc

RebelHill
04-14-2010, 03:31 AM
New Ik solver, which behaves a lil differently to the old one. New constraints such as same as item, plus some under the hood changes in the way LW evaluates objects in space, which alters the behavious of some previous constraints, follower, simple point/orient constraints, targeting... how thigs are evaluated after being rpr'd...etc, etc. Theres pole item, different IK goal options, and of course, joints.