PDA

View Full Version : Student

Fragmaster
09-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Hello there, I am a student in the UK starting out at college.

Being only 16, I lack the 1000 to buy Lightwave 7.5, but realise that NewTek offer a student discount. I had a look around but could not see any UK student retailers. Maybe someone could help me find out where to aquire a student version or if anyone is willing to sell at a fair price.

Thanks for your time,

Matthew Girvan.

cagey5
09-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Try Onevideo.net on the link below.
Student price is 285 + VAT including the upgrade to LW8 when it's out.
http://www.oneanimation.net/products.asp?manufacturer=25

wacom
09-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Here is someone who was selling a full version WITH Aura and I think a couple of extras for a fair price just a bit ago. It is also already for a free upgrade to 8! I don't know if he has more, or if he has sold it already, but he is legit all the way. Email him and see how much he wants to part with it (and if you want to know more about him do a search here for his email).

[email protected]

Hope this helps!:)

Fragmaster
09-09-2003, 02:15 PM
Hehe well being on a big budget (bought a laptop recently) :P I am looking to pay 300 at the MOST, :( I know thats not much, but that deal looks great on the student version... Thanks Cagey5 & Wacom...

One more thing, is anything cut, or missing from the student version, and is there a version to try before a blow my hard earned cash?

wacom
09-09-2003, 02:43 PM
There is a "demo version" that you can download, but it is crippled in the amount of "points" you can save. I think they call it the "discovery addition" or something. The student version IS the full version (I'm using it right now and upgraded to 8 for $500 US and recieved DFX+ and a pro license- not bad for $900 all told!).

I'd say that instead of just testing the demo and seeing if you like it you should keep reading on these boards and look at the work people have done to get an idea. I only say this because LW is best used with control keys and many things are "hidden" to a new user (or even old ones) so it's hard to tell if you'll like it by just opening the discovery addition. If you like to model objects then LW is a dream...but with a limited point save of just a few it's unlikely you'll get to enjoy that in the Discovery addition...

I was using Max for a couple of years...and it was easier to use at first for simple tasks (aka scale a cube...make a sphere...etc. etc.) because of it's overly object ladden UI but LW gets the complex stuff done WAY better. What was my point? Oh...ask your self A)how much money do I have to spend B) What do I want to do with the 3D package 4) download the trial versions of some other programs and do a couple of complex tutorials and 5) realize that at your price point you're silly NOT to get LW.

To get you started view these videos on this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10393&highlight=mov

and pick up a copy of Inside LW 7...

Cheers...

Fragmaster
09-09-2003, 02:49 PM
Yeah good comments, well my budget may be low, I have a copy of 3DSMAX Student Edition which my father helped me buy and its great, but as you said I am finding it complex, UI wise. I am wanting to also get Lightwave though, as I heard it is much more slick and easier to get around with.

I hopefully will find a DE version, just to give it a go, and I am buying regardless (demo means nothing usually) but its a matter of money.

wacom
09-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Not to keep it up...but the LW community boards are THE best in the biz. Just look at how nice and fast the response was to you questions!:)

It's a free and priceless feature...

cagey5
09-09-2003, 02:55 PM
The version you get is the full version. I have heard it metioned that you can't use it for commercial purposes but how that is controlled I couldn't say.

As regards trying it before you buy it. I believe you can download the patches from here and in the absence of a dongle [which you'll be supplied with when you buy] it will run in demo mode.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether you need to download the 7.0b patch first then 'upgrade' to 7.5, perhaps someone who has actually gone this route could dive in and offer more advice.

btw. I don't know what the limitations of demo mode, or 'discovery edition' as it sometimes called, are.

[but now I do :). Thanks Wacom]

Fragmaster
09-09-2003, 03:03 PM
Hehe thanks guys, considering buying a book (recommended off of newsgroup) "Inside Lightwave" which comes with the Discovery Edition all for 24. Bargain.

Well thanks very much for all your help, this forum is a blessing :D
See you around the boards :D

wacom
09-09-2003, 05:35 PM
OK...one last thing...you could do this if you hurry because the upgrade offer is going to be over around the 15th...

Get 5.6 and upgrade it to 8. Newtek will give you 7.5 in the meantime and DFX+ while you wait for 8. This will cost you just over $700 US and give you all the extras.

Here is an ebay listing for 5.6 that comes with Aura...$245 US

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3625777343&category=185

hope it helps...