PDA

View Full Version : Reflection = Transparency???

badpineapple
03-26-2010, 12:29 PM
This has never happened to me before, and I canít recreate it. I have a surface reflecting a spherical map, but the very detailed image appears as a gray blob. When I turn on ray tracing, the surface becomes transparent instead of reflective. Transparency and object dissolve are both ZERO. No nodes, no NOTHINí.
Sorry, I canít include a screenshot. Top secret.
LW 9.6 on an intel Mac.

Nangleator
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Errr.... Try to exit and restart. (LW, not the computer.) Try to save the image in another format and use that.

Add reflection blur to the surface to see if it does anything.

Use node surfacing, instead of layers. Or vice versa.

Map the image to a sphere, which is unseen by camera.

I dunno what else.

Elmar Moelzer
03-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Maybe you could post some content, or at least show us some screenshots and renders. It is very hard to guess the cause of the problem with that little information.

Dexter2999
03-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Are you sure it is transparent? Because you could be seeing your background reflected. If the foreground and background match then the reflection will look like a transparency.

Tobian
03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah Dexter, I was thinking it even maybe something like flipped polygon normals+ reflection looking like transparency, sort of. It may be it's not transparency, but something making it look like it by fluke, try pointing the camera from another angle to see if it's doing it consistently, or it's not something else wierd.

shrox
03-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah Dexter, I was thinking it even maybe something like flipped polygon normals+ reflection looking like transparency, sort of. It may be it's not transparency, but something making it look like it by fluke, try pointing the camera from another angle to see if it's doing it consistently, or it's not something else wierd.

Yes, move the camera up so it's pointing down a bit. That will get it out of any accidental alignment with the background .

Nangleator
03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
That's why I was suggesting reflection blur. To see if it wasn't transparency, but a trick of reflection.