PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Point and Textures

mswanson
09-09-2003, 11:54 AM
I am using the "Distance From Pivot Point" input parameter on a texture and I can't get results that make sense.

I modeled a rectangle, moved it's pivot point from the center to one of the corners. Sent this object to Layout. Added a procedural gradient using distance from pivot point as the input parameter (white at 0, black at 1"). I get a white spot radiating from the object center, not the corner where the pivot point is.

I know the pivot point is correct because if rotated, the object spins around the corner.

Any help appreciated...

cagey5
09-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Yep. Same result here. Strange. It's not what you would expect as it's calculating from the objects origin i.e. 0,0,0, as the pivot point, which would make sense for 'distance to object' perhaps but not pivot point.

Two work rounds:-
1. Re-model the box so that the corner you want to pivot around is at 0,0,0, [Not recommended]
2. Add a null, parent it to the box, line up with corner and do the gradient as 'distance to object' with null as the object.

mswanson
09-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks, those are good workarounds. Anybody know if this is just plain broke or what. If broke, has it always been or is this version specific? I'm on 7.5c Mac