PDA

View Full Version : Rob Powers :CGSociety Artist Profile

robertoortiz
03-25-2010, 05:11 AM
Rob Powers was one of the first artists brought onto the concept stages on AVATAR. From his story here, it seems like he was born into the role. The Virtual Art Department started with him. Click on the image to find out more.

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5582

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
We know ! :) that image has scared us :rock: ,nice interview

GraphXs
03-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Great Interview! Can't wait to see what ya do for Newtek!

sampei
03-25-2010, 08:46 AM
yep very cool article thanks Roberto ! I think all the LW community is very proud of Rob Powers (and the others !) :D

Nicolas Jordan
03-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Lightwave screen grabs and the actual spelling out of the "Lightwave" product name in the text in a cgsociety article? I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Great article! :thumbsup:

robertoortiz
03-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Anyway, this is good publicity for Newtek.

Skonk
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Click the link at the end of the article ("Your 2cents") which takes you to the associated forum post and check what people are saying about the dodgy photoshopped image and various other things.

SBowie
03-25-2010, 10:39 AM
... check what people are saying about the dodgy photoshopped image and various other things.About "other things", can anyone have really expected any other reaction? Re: the monitor, it really isn't very unusual to see this sort of thing faked, for any number of perfectly justified reasons that have nothing to do with misrepresenting facts.

I do agree it's a shame it wasn't faked a bit better, but then again maybe there's a certain perverse honesty to making it obvious it's a mockup. There's a crowd who will mock no-matter what the facts are, who simply can't be pleased. True, one shouldn't give them ammunition on a silver platter, but in the end it wouldn't really matter imho. (Lacking ammunition, they just retreat to entrenched positions and lob mud.)

robertoortiz
03-25-2010, 10:54 AM
About "other things", can anyone have really expected any other reaction? Re: the monitor, it really isn't very unusual to see this sort of thing faked, for any number of perfectly justified reasons that have nothing to do with misrepresenting facts.

I do agree it's a shame it wasn't faked a bit better, but then again maybe there's a certain perverse honesty to making it obvious it's a mockup. There's a crowd who will mock no-matter what the facts are, who simply can't be pleased. True, one shouldn't give them ammunition on a silver platter, but in the end it wouldn't really matter imho. (Lacking ammunition, they just retreat to entrenched positions and lob mud.)

Agreed.

It does not matter how much they go to a corner and yell Autodesk (or their particular product).

Facts are facts, and LW was used A LOT in the project.

I am just blown away on how some people get bent out of shape over this fact

biliousfrog
03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Agreed.

It does not matter how much they go to a corner and yell Autodesk (or their particular product).

Facts are facts, and LW was used A LOT in the project.

I am just blown away on how some people get bent out of shape over this fact

I find it hilarious...to a point. Even when the facts are right in front of them they'll swear blind that it's wrong. I'm very perplexed that this always happens around Lightwave though. Why do people hate it so much? We've all lost count of how many films Autodesk would have us believe were created entirely in Maya with nothing to back it up but nobody says a thing...create an article where a guy mentions using Lightwave and all hell breaks loose.

Is it an insecurity thing? Are these people worried that they've invested thousands into a product expecting to become a rockstar animator only to see the biggest grossing film of all time use a product that still uses 'names' in the menus?

Titus
03-25-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow, the reaction of the people is amazing!

geothefaust
03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Wow, the reaction of the people is amazing!

I'm not really surprised by the reaction. People on that forum will trash when and where they can, especially when LW/NT related.

What I am surprised about, is that this article is even on CGS, and further, that the photshopped image was used. I would have left that out... But that is just MHO.

Good read either way! Thanks for the heads up on it Roberto. :)

Kuzey
03-25-2010, 12:18 PM
That was funny....Rob should jump in and respond to that thread. A quote...from either James Cameron or his top 3d guy, the one who watched the LW guys in action and liked LW....would be nice.

Video footage of LW in action would be better. I'm surprised Cameron didn't document the whole process in VAD...to be honest.

Kuzey

Soth
03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
About "other things", can anyone have really expected any other reaction? Re: the monitor, it really isn't very unusual to see this sort of thing faked, for any number of perfectly justified reasons that have nothing to do with misrepresenting facts.

I do agree it's a shame it wasn't faked a bit better, but then again maybe there's a certain perverse honesty to making it obvious it's a mockup.

seroiusly, you belive that?

there is no other things but this picture is NOT RIGHT

EDIT: i really enjoyed reading the article until ive spot this picture, i feel bad again, photoshopped print screen photoshopped in photograph, super combo, bonus! :(

robertoortiz
03-25-2010, 12:27 PM
My friend, in my view, the image is just a pretex.
People will find another thing to cling on.
there will always be something to ***** and complain.

And if they dont find it, they will MAKE IT UP.

Soth
03-25-2010, 12:31 PM

but now, thay do not have to do it, thay actually have an argument, not grat one but actually real. ;(

...and why to disturb poor guy like me, did i did not get enough from denis already? :devil:

robertoortiz
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I know, still it blows my mind.

SBowie
03-25-2010, 12:33 PM
seroiusly, you belive that?RIGHT[/SIZE][/COLOR]I only write what I believe, yes. Mocked up screenshots are common, for many reasons. I agree it's a pretty lame paste-up job, and that it could have been done better, but that's about it. I think if the article showed a photo of James Cameron sitting in Rob's lap wearing a LW tee-shirt and pointing to a legitimate modeler screen alongside an affadavit from the Supreme Court, you'd be getting pretty much the same reaction from pretty much the same people.

SBowie
03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
...and why to disturb poor guy like me, did i did not get enough from denis already? :devil:You are indeed having a bit of a rough week - my condolences.

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 12:37 PM
My friend, in my view, the image is just a pretex.
People will find another thing to cling on.
there will always be something to ***** and complain.

why post the image then if there was going to be a small public uproar " sorry peeed off ,just had to reset my NT pssword" .

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
You are indeed having a bit of a rough week - my condolences.

chuckle

Kuzey
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
It would have been better...if you had to use the image...to have a disclaimer, stating it's a mock up and the reason why. Then people can't claim they are being lied too etc.

Or not use the picture at all.

Kuzey

SBowie
03-25-2010, 12:46 PM
why post the image then if there was going to be a small public uproarI don't know, and it's a fair question. I daresay there's a reason - maybe it's simply a matter of lead time on the piece meant the materials were supplied before the previous kerfuffle (here) over the same image, maybe someone didn't get the memo, don't know. Regardless, I agree with Roberto that an 'uproar' was entirely predictable, with or without that image.

It would have been nice not to supply a ready excuse, but surely no reasonable persona actually believes the jist of the article is bogus, whether on that basis or any other. Yet from what I saw there are just as many or more disputing the basic honesty of the piece as there are to do with that one image. Some don't 'get' the value and innovation of VAD, as distinct from simpler pre-vis, and others just want to throw stones because that's what they do.

Then people can't claim they are being lied too etc.Sure they would.

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 12:51 PM
there going NUTS over @ there forum, tis FUNNY ! they did also use the image on there TV interview " well held ROB ,looked good on cam love the shirt :P " only thing with tv is you can get away with it .

oh well all plans of mice & men ...........

Soth
03-25-2010, 12:53 PM
I think if the article showed a photo of James Cameron sitting in Rob's lap wearing a LW tee-shirt and pointing to a legitimate modeler screen alongside an affadavit from the Supreme Court, you'd be getting pretty much the same reaction from pretty much the same people.
i am with you on that, but reusing this picture over and over again, its very very bad, there is like 5 posts in CGTalk forum just about this picture.... we would have 5 less, i mean really, is it so hard to replace it? grrrrrrrrr

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 01:04 PM
the meta tag on YOUR 2 CENTS is miss spelt ..... . not important ,just a heads up "rock"

dpont
03-25-2010, 01:57 PM
...and why to disturb poor guy like me, did i did not get enough from denis already? :devil:

You are thinking you are a victim? Really?
You never stop this?

Denis.

SBowie
03-25-2010, 02:03 PM
You are thinking you are a victim? Really?
You never stop this?OK, this thread is contentious enough already. Let's not re-start this conflict. If you two want to discuss your differences, please take it outside, thanks.

dpont
03-25-2010, 02:11 PM
OK, this thread is contentious enough already. Let's not re-start this conflict. If you two want to discuss your differences, please take it outside, thanks.

Discussing with him? A conflict?
I thing you missed something
in this story,
and your comments are ambiguous, Steve.

Bye,
Denis.

Nicolas Jordan
03-25-2010, 02:22 PM
seroiusly, you belive that?

there is no other things but this picture is NOT RIGHT

EDIT: i really enjoyed reading the article until ive spot this picture, i feel bad again, photoshopped print screen photoshopped in photograph, super combo, bonus! :(

It really doesn't bother me at all that they are using that composited image still.

Soth
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Discussing with him? A conflict?
I thing you missed something
in this story,

Bye,
Denis.

I am not in the conflict, I am not disputing anything. I have send you email and PM couple days ago, I am very sorry for what I did, I wanted to help guy who could not install your plugins. I have deleted them as you requested, but that was one mistake, there is nothing that I can stop right now. And I am not disputing your decision, I respect it, just said that I am disturbed by it.

Just want to tell community that last three days are my worst days of 2010. I am very sorry, want to say to all of you.

OnlineRender
03-25-2010, 02:27 PM
rrrrrrrr

Soth
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
please, this is not helping

SBowie
03-25-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry, I was attempting to be tactful. Perhaps this will be less ambiguous.