PDA

View Full Version : BRDF Shader and Screamernet on the Mac

cesario1212
09-09-2003, 11:27 AM
HELP! The BRDF shader seems to load in as a master plugin in the code for LW 7.5c scene files. AH! For all you people out there with macs, as you may know master plugins tend to crash screamernet. The BRDF shader does just that on my G4 under OS X.2.6. I want to use the BRDF shader, but I need to render out the objects that use it through screamernet. I'm basically trying to replicate metal shelves in an animation I'm creating.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue? Or, does anyone know of a good tutorial to fake the results of the BRDF shader?

Art-man

eblu
09-09-2003, 11:29 AM
use layers of gradient maps, using incidence angle and light incidence.

and good luck.

-oops thought you said "BESM" my bad.
never had much luck with BRDF, sorry

paintboy
09-09-2003, 12:49 PM
try here: http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/
there was a link from gordon miller about a work around for bdrf.
but i have not tried.
it is not just Snet, bdrf will knock over modeler and layout as well,depending on the circumstances. good luck.

cesario1212
09-09-2003, 01:18 PM
wow, I never knew it knocked out modeler for some. Ouch. That really sucks because I have been very impressed by the plugin's output. If newtek would just get rid of those pesky quirks.

Thanks. I'll keep looking around and check out your suggestions.

Art-man

Glendalough
09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
BRDF does not work properly, or hardly at all in OSX. Locks up computer usually, though if your scene is small enough, very small, it will render at 5 or 10 times the length it would take in Lightwave 6.5 on OS9 which is the only practical work around I know.

cesario1212
09-09-2003, 06:46 PM
Wow! I'm surprised. I've had no problems with the BRDF shader beyond screamnet. My render times are great (it doesn't seem to add on any render time actually), and I have a large shelf array up.

That sucks that it is much worse for other fellow Mac users. If Newtek got it FULLY functional, it would be an invaluable shader.

Art-man