PDA

View Full Version : is this a bug?

rwhunt99
03-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I have noticed something and it is getting annoying. When I am inside layout, and using nonmodal panels, like voxels or fiberfx that when I click on items in the panel; layout minimizes and usually I see modeler, because I am usually running both. i have to click on layout again to get the window back. Nothing bad happens, it's just annoying, anyone one else getting this behaviour ? (I'm using v9.6, 64bit, Win 7)

oobievision
03-24-2010, 07:45 PM
ive had this issue myself with win7 pro 64bit. its annoying but manageable. though I get it using regular geometry as well usually when Im doin something that eats allot of ram/cpu.

Nicolas Jordan
03-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I experience this same issue on Windows 7 as well.

danielkaiser
03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Fog it.

biliousfrog
03-25-2010, 02:59 AM
Same here on Win7 x64...I also get a lot of crashes in Layout when switching between it and Modeler

Salv8or
03-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Having the same problem. Its not a biggie, but it gets kind of enoying.
Seems to hapen when i stay in the menu for a while (a couple of sec), but if im fast in selecting what i need it does not.

As mentioned in above threads, it looks as though it only hapens i win7 64.

Dodgy
03-25-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm getting it in win 7 32 as well, so it's a win 7 thing. Very annoying.

twillit
03-25-2010, 07:07 AM
I was have similar issues till I set both modeler and layout 's compatibility mode to vista sp2, smooth running since (for the most part) running win 7 32bit

Dodgy
03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
That does seem to work, I'll report back if it still hasn't fixed it. Thanks very much!

Snosrap
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Same issue for me running either 32 or 64 Modeler and Layout in Windows 7. What's this about setting the compatibility mode to vista/xp, is that someting where you need to reinstall the software?

twillit
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
no, just right click on the program , tab over to compatibility, check "run in compatibility mode" and select Vista SP2. At least that works for me on Win 7 32bit, not sure about 64bit. Be sure to do this on the executable and not it's shortcut.

Snosrap
03-26-2010, 08:10 PM
OK - Thanks

Traveler
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Seeing on how this effects Windows 7 users (only?), perhaps the new window snapping functionality is causing this? I've seen this problem happen once or twice too, but I cant seem to duplicate the problem when I want to. I now have the window snapping option turned off (didn't find it useful anyway) to see how things go.

If you want to give it a shot too, here's how to turn it off. Control panel -> Ease of Access Center -> Change how your mouse works -> select last checkbox.

danielkaiser
03-29-2010, 02:51 PM
This may also be related to a long standing bug where holding a drop down open for any length of time would cause the node editor window to blank out and turn black. After using the compatibility workaround it no longer happens.

VermilionCat
12-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Is this issue fixed?
Setting Compatibility Mode makes the performance real slow. It's annoying.

prometheus
12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Im having the same issue here to with lightwave 9.6 and win 7 both 32 and 64 bit.

that is happening when trying to select something in a menu, like selecting a procedural textures and while staying to long a couple of seconds in the menu it will swap the whole window to what ever program is recent behind it, quite annoying yes.

Michael

ToMar
12-31-2010, 10:29 AM
Is this issue fixed?
Setting Compatibility Mode makes the performance real slow. It's annoying.

What part of the performance? Rendering, OGL, VPR or over all?

I tryed the "Windows Server 2008" (Window 7 and Server 2008 are on a lot of things alike, but the GUI is more like Windows 2K) setting. Apears to work so far....

VermilionCat
12-31-2010, 07:25 PM

To me, loading scenes and playing animation takes more time. Rendering is not affected, I think. I don't know about LW10. It should be fixed.

Win7 64 bit, btw.

funk
12-31-2010, 07:27 PM

I tryed the "Windows Server 2008" (Window 7 and Server 2008 are on a lot of things alike, but the GUI is more like Windows 2K) setting. Apears to work so far....

I can confirm at least one slow down and reported it during the beta. Compat mode can slow down scene loading (up to 10x slower) in lw10 x64. A test scene I had loads in 5 seconds with no compat mode, and 35 seconds with compat mode.

I leave compat mode off now and just put up with the annoying menu/window behavior until they sort it out.

danielkaiser
01-01-2011, 12:54 AM
To me, loading scenes and playing animation takes more time. Rendering is not affected, I think. I don't know about LW10. It should be fixed.

Win7 64 bit, btw.

Nope not fixed in the LW10 demo had to resort to compatibility mode, haven't seen any real UI slowdown in LW10 or 9.6.1.

What is the rest of your specs. slow down could be display drivers or even your card.

VermilionCat
01-01-2011, 06:16 AM
I've used several GeForce cards and drivers (right now, 9600GT with 260.99 at home computer) since I switched to Win7 but this problem remains all the time. I thought LW10 has solved this because it's released after Win7...

Lewis
01-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Don't use compatibility modes if you really really don't need to, loading scene speed with lot of images or bigger scenes which loads for 15+ seconds can get 10x speed slowdowns in some occasions and rendering speed is also slower if there is heavy models/subDs or so which requires "freezing" of meshes when you hit F9, it takes awful loon time to do that in compatibility mode and can even go up to 3x more rendertime than "normal mode".

As for BUG nope it's not fixed and it's very annoying one and NT knows about it but not sure did they findout is it LW bug or something in windows.

VermilionCat
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Thank you, Lewis for detailed information.

So there's no workaround for now. I hope this will be fixed in the near future!

ToMar
01-02-2011, 04:09 AM
Don't use compatibility modes if you really really don't need to, loading scene speed with lot of images or bigger scenes which loads for 15+ seconds can get 10x speed slowdowns in some occasions and rendering speed is also slower if there is heavy models/subDs or so which requires "freezing" of meshes when you hit F9, it takes awful loon time to do that in compatibility mode and can even go up to 3x more rendertime than "normal mode".

As for BUG nope it's not fixed and it's very annoying one and NT knows about it but not sure did they findout is it LW bug or something in windows.

Did you try this with the Server 2008 setting as well? Or can you name me a good test scene from the LW 6,7,8,9 content? (my own stuff right now includes only polygonal geometry with mostley procedurals)

funk
01-02-2011, 04:25 AM
Did you try this with the Server 2008 setting as well? Or can you name me a good test scene from the LW 6,7,8,9 content? (my own stuff right now includes only polygonal geometry with mostley procedurals)

I just tried a few different compat modes. LW10 x64 load times increase from 5 seconds to 35 seconds for the test scene I'm using. LW10 32bit doesnt seem to be affected so greatly

Mr Rid
01-02-2011, 07:31 PM
no, just right click on the program , tab over to compatibility, check "run in compatibility mode" and select Vista SP2. At least that works for me on Win 7 32bit, not sure about 64bit. Be sure to do this on the executable and not it's shortcut.

Hmm, didnt know about the 'compatibility mode.' I keep trying to find a way to run Fusion 4 in Win 7 (wont work in Vista either), but no go. Virtual XP doesnt work either, and I posted on the Fusion forum but no one answered. Once again, I am the only one it seems.

Yes the LW window minimize thing is annoying, but I continue to have a bigger problem with LW hanging for up to a minute each time a scene load can not locate an image or object. Not sure if its LW96, or Win 7, or my network, or what.

IgnusFast
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I've had issues for quite some time with this (mainly with my inability to work with nodes, since the dropdowns that let you add nodes have never worked right for me), but I bugged it forever ago and never heard back.

Dodgy
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Hmm, didnt know about the 'compatibility mode.' I keep trying to find a way to run Fusion 4 in Win 7 (wont work in Vista either), but no go. Virtual XP doesnt work either, and I posted on the Fusion forum but no one answered. Once again, I am the only one it seems.

I've been trying to get my DFX+ to work under win 7 (and previously Vista) and had no help other than upgrade to Fusion (Not really going to spend allll that money on something I use so very little) so if you find out how to get yours working, let me know, as it's probably the same thing keeping DFX+ from working.

There was a problem with quicktime, but they supposedly patched dfx+ and quicktime, but it may be broken again.

Amurrell
01-02-2011, 10:55 PM
This issue has been fogged a bit earlier (the window switching thing) and they are trying to pin it down as to whether it is LW or Win 7. Just tried compatibility mode and this has seemed to fix the problem for me. Something must have changed in the window drawing method in Win 7 or something?

Mr Rid
01-03-2011, 01:25 AM
I've been trying to get my DFX+ to work under win 7 (and previously Vista) and had no help other than upgrade to Fusion (Not really going to spend allll that money on something I use so very little) so if you find out how to get yours working, let me know, as it's probably the same thing keeping DFX+ from working.

There was a problem with quicktime, but they supposedly patched dfx+ and quicktime, but it may be broken again.

I really wish F4 would run on my Win 7 machine. I have tons of useful F4 flows that wont work in 5 or 6 and its a pain to re-set them up from scratch. The virtual XP mode in Win 7 really should work. I have some old, super slow celerons for running F4 that are too tedious. I keep trying to get a friend to sell me a faster dual pentium he doesnt use anymore, just so I can run old F4 flows.