PDA

View Full Version : Ernst Stuhlinger Umbrella Ship

starbase1
03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Another design from the very start of the space age, a design by Enrst Stuhlinger, (with Wernher von Braun elements like the bottle suits).

This design was based on a Caesium Ion Engine, and the big umbrella is the heat radiation / cooling system. The yellow double ended rocket is the lander, with fins at both ends for stability.The central spine, engine, and dish are despun. The four 'missiles' at the top are intended as sounding rockets, (it was not known that the atmosphere was so thin at that time).

The originalhigh gain antenna was a simple rounded oblong, but I decided to replace it with something based on the Jodrell Bank Mk II dish.

Nick

starbase1
03-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Two views showing the upper surface, and the image I have put the most effort so far into, "The Ion fleet arrives at Mars.".

starbase1
03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
The Ion Fleet Departs:

shrox
03-25-2010, 04:03 PM
You gotta get that Tomorrowland DVD, it's got all of these in the original broadcast shows, in color! Your doing almost the exact same shots I did after watching it.

Elmar Moelzer
03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Interesting, that is a concept I had not known until today. Very cool and rather rare and original design. Great choice! Keep em coming!
Shrox, you make me curious. I guess I will try to get that DVD...