PDA

View Full Version : Slow playback of Hi-Res footage

claudians
03-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I have rendered my animation sequence in high resolution: 1920x1080. They are PNG files, and once they run through Adobe After Effects, they run in real time. The problem is after I render the composited file (which plays in real time in After Effects) into an uncompressed avi, my 13-second animation takes 13 seconds to play the first 2 seconds of animation. There is no problem with my processor. I am playing the file in Windows Media Player. My Quicktime won't even put out an image. Does anyone have a solution for how to get it to play at the right speed?

Oh, and by the way, even though it's just 13 seconds, the rendered sequence is 2.1 GB.... is that normal?

Thanks.

Soth
03-23-2010, 09:42 PM
uncompressed video, yes, normal ;)

animation this size need to be compressed to by played in realtime, or 100% loaded to ram, try this http://djv.sourceforge.net/ > it even plays png sequences

feelthefear
03-24-2010, 04:37 AM
You can't really read 2.1 GB from hard drive in 13 seconds, can you?

claudians
03-26-2010, 07:05 AM
Tomek, thank you for your reply. I downloaded the player, but it seems to not read avi files. I don't really know my way around this software. I finally figured out how to navigate to a different drive than C:

'Feelthefear' I know I can't read anything that fast, and I don't know if a computer can either. does that mean that compression really is necessary?

Even when I play the video in another editing software, it skips frames, though it does play in real time - just not real smooth.

Elmar Moelzer
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Use a lossless compression algo. There are several out there.
That might already be enough to make the thing play back smoothly.

BigHache
03-30-2010, 01:32 PM
claudians, if you're not running hardware optimized for editing HD video in an uncompressed environment, then you're not going to get around this issue. After Effects loads your Composition into RAM so that's why it's playing smoothly there.

Also, unless there's a specific output reason you need uncompressed video, using compression should be fine.

erikals
03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Use a lossless compression algo. There are several out there.
That might already be enough to make the thing play back smoothly.

found these, supposedly good,...

Lagarith (Win)
SheerVideo (Mac-Win)