PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 5 point maximum

wildr3d
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Does anyone remember what the maximum point count was for Lightwave 5 objects. Vue xStream seems to only work with Lightwave objects in this format.

Vue8 standalone will import a Lightwave 9.6 object just fine UV's and all but will crash when trying to import the same file through xStream.

Ah, the fun never ends with Vue:devil:

BeeVee
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
There were no UVs in LightWave 5 time, and I believe that it was a 16-bit point or poly count - one way or the other it was a max of 65,536 (IIRC).

B

wildr3d
03-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Cool, thanks.

shrox
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
...one way or the other it was a max of 65,536 (IIRC).

B

Yes, I believe that's it. I encountered that limit allot.

Andyjaggy
03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
No UV's? Shutter.......... How would you.............. Oh never mind. :)

Andyjaggy
03-25-2010, 10:21 AM
Does anyone remember what the maximum point count was for Lightwave 5 objects. Vue xStream seems to only work with Lightwave objects in this format.

Vue8 standalone will import a Lightwave 9.6 object just fine UV's and all but will crash when trying to import the same file through xStream.

Ah, the fun never ends with Vue:devil:

Still plugging away trying to work with Vue. :) It's always something with that program.

jrandom
03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Vue is a real love/hate experience. I just tried to export a tree as a .lwo and while the textures are all correct, every poly is flipped. Worse, even though they are set to 2-sided, they aren't, and attempting to unify polys results in a crash. Flipping polys has no visible effect.

Bah. Grr. Argh.

Andyjaggy
03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
Vue is a real love/hate experience. I just tried to export a tree as a .lwo and while the textures are all correct, every poly is flipped. Worse, even though they are set to 2-sided, they aren't, and attempting to unify polys results in a crash. Flipping polys has no visible effect.

Bah. Grr. Argh.

It's a transparency thing. I've had the same problem. Check your transparency on your material.

jrandom
03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
It's a transparency thing. I've had the same problem. Check your transparency on your material.

I'll check when I get home tonight, but they were behaving as if the normals were flipped. I didn't even know that effect was possible with transparency.

I've only ever used the nodes in Lightwave 9.6, so I'm pretty unfamiliar with how the old-style material controls work. Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Andyjaggy
03-31-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm having a hard time remembering honestly.

I just remember thinking it was a normals thing, but then it wasn't. I remember it just had something to do with transparency.

hunter
04-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I always put the leaves in a separate layer from the trunk and branchesand use a clip map on the leaves.

NanoGator
04-02-2010, 06:00 PM
No UV's? Shutter.......... How would you.............. Oh never mind. :)

Morphs.

jrandom
04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I just remember thinking it was a normals thing, but then it wasn't. I remember it just had something to do with transparency.

Yes, it was the transparency. Removing it and using the exact same bitmap as transparency in the node editor worked.

Really slow though. Turning off transparency completely and using the image as a clip map gave me the best results that didn't take an hour to render.

I always put the leaves in a separate layer from the trunk and branchesand use a clip map on the leaves.

Clip maps rock my world. How do you put the leaves in a separate layer? Vue exports them mixed in with the trunk and branches and I can't seem to find a way to automatically separate them.

NanoGator
04-02-2010, 06:06 PM
It actually crashes?

Does it render ok without a texture?

jrandom
04-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Here's the render (http://rainybrain.org/?p=118).

Once I can get the trunk separated from the leaves, it will be much easier for me to just turn it into a subdivision mesh so it won't look all blocky.

Getting a translucent material set up for the leaves was fun. If I keep this up, I may actually wind up with serviceable foreground trees w/out having to track down and buy Yet Another Lightwave Plugin.

Did I hijack this thread? :hijack: