PDA

View Full Version : 3D scanning a Power Plant Point Cloud question

3Dswade
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
My new project is creating a 3D model of a Power Plant for a upcoming trial. I have selected a 3D scanning crew. I have used simple 2D point clouds from total stations in accidents. But this is going to have massive amounts of data. Whats the best tool for editing or converting the point cloud into a mesh or if lucky enough a LWO.

Thanks guys for your input.
Swade

lertola2
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
This plugin might help:

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/triangulatepoints.php

-Joe Lertola

SplineGod
03-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Theres also meshlab which is free and 3dcoat which can also handle pointcloud data. :)

archijam
03-24-2010, 03:33 AM
3Dswade.

You will usually not want to bring all that data into LW, or 3DC.

Almost all data needs to be thinned, filtered etc.

Are you sure the scanning crew can't do some basic filtering? We scan with a Riegl laserscanner into RiScan, and that same software does all the filtering and reduction, back to a various selection sets, from which we can generate meshes.

Be aware that you will have much more data at the scan positions than in the distance, so you will always want to throw away that dense data which is otherwise unworkable.

Can you give some more details of your setup/planned workflow? Perhaps then you can get better advice.

3Dswade
03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I figured there would be massive amounts of extra points. I didn't know there are more points the closer the object.

I have to scan mainly the outside on one side and the inside wall facing that side. Its huge and will take probably a week. The scanning bid came back at $25,000 grand for just the point cloud data no clean up. Am I being hosed or is that about right!

Thanks Guys