PDA

View Full Version : 9.6 OBJ Export Issue

BlueTarga
03-23-2010, 07:49 AM
Not sure if there has been a previous thread about this, but I need to export an OBJ from 9.6 since it will automatically export the .mtl file but Modeler just crashes every time I try. I can do it with smaller models (lower poly count) but my model is pretty dense -- close to 74,000 polys.

I can export with no problem in 9.3, but that version does not export an .mtl. So I am caught in the middle with what I can do.
I already know of Dodgy's mtl export plug-in, but it does not seem to match what automatically exports with 9.6 -- which works perfectly when importing to the software I am using the obj for. So ideally, I would like to use 9.6 without having to resort to a third-party plug-in that will require some code editing...

I am curious if anyone else has come across this problem, or if there is some sort of poly limit that 9.6 can handle. Thoughts?

JML
03-23-2010, 07:55 AM
I just tried to export a 70k ball as a obj and it did not crash..
maybe it's not polygon count issue but your surface is crashing modeller ?
try without any map and after with only 1 map using the uv to see..

(Edit: I just tried again with 96k ball and it still worked fine)

BlueTarga
03-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Hey JML,
Yeah i tried a simple ball test as well -- no surfaces, no maps, and it still crashed. Even tried on multiple computers to see if it was just mine that was having the issue.
Are you on a MAC or a PC?
I am debating on whether i just need to uninstall and re-install Lightwave to see if I have messed up the plug-ins somehow.

JML
03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
I did the test on LW9.6 32bit on winXP-64bit at work.