PDA

View Full Version : Manipulating bones from the opposite end

THREEL
03-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Is there any way to manipulate a bone, or series of bones from the opposite end (s)? I have a 100 bone rig to bend a filmstrip. I've bent it in several places, but, now, I realize I'd like to take a little bend out of the front end. I'd like to just unbend those bones toward the front end without re-bending a bunch of bones.

Thanks!

RebelHill
03-20-2010, 05:12 PM
use a constraint to temporarily pin off the section you want to stay still, adjust those higher up the hierarchy, key off and lose the constraint.

SplineGod
03-20-2010, 07:30 PM
You can right click on the first bone of that section and it will select it and all its children. You can then rotate them all at the same time.
IKBoost can be applied to the object and you can use a HANDLE on the tip of the very last bone to bend/unbend the bones all the way back up the chain to the first IKSTOP it encounters.
IKB also allows the rotations to be reset on any group of bones based on your keyframe mode. Its quite useful for things like this. :)
I show the process in some of these videos:
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/IKBoost/

THREEL
03-20-2010, 09:46 PM
You can right click on the first bone of that section and it will select it and all its children. You can then rotate them all at the same time.
IKBoost can be applied to the object and you can use a HANDLE on the tip of the very last bone to bend/unbend the bones all the way back up the chain to the first IKSTOP it encounters.
IKB also allows the rotations to be reset on any group of bones based on your keyframe mode. Its quite useful for things like this. :)
I show the process in some of these videos:
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/IKBoost/

Is this available in v8.5? Can't seem to find it.

SplineGod
03-20-2010, 10:34 PM
IKBoost has been in LW since LW8. I dont know if the Handles wee added later. They are under the node menu when you right click on a node. I do show the use of handles in some of the free videos.

edit:
Just tried it in 8.5 and its there and works. :)