PDA

View Full Version : .U3D to .lwo conversion

BlueApple
03-20-2010, 11:16 AM
I've been given a .U3D file (and will be getting more) that I need to get into LightWave somehow. I am on a Mac, and have the below programs.

LightWave 9.6
Photoshop CS3 Extended
ZBrush
Blender

As far as I can tell, Photoshop is the only program I have that can even open the .U3D, however there is no .obj export that I can find. I'd like the conversion solution to be free and native to the Mac OS (I don't own a copy of Windows).

Any suggestions, friends?

Titus
03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Just guessing. Since collada is a superset format of u3d, try using the valkyrie plug-in in LW.

Titus
03-20-2010, 11:42 AM
And it seems Blender can open u3d.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/u3d

BlueApple
03-20-2010, 12:06 PM
And it seems Blender can open u3d.

http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/u3d

I saw that too, but I can't get Blender to open it. I tried both versions of the Collada importer (see attached image) and it throws errors either way.

I loaded the Valkyrie plugin in both LW9.6 and tried finding COLLADAObjectImporter from EditMenuLayout and can't find it. I have two Collada exporters in there, but no importer.

Note that I can't find the FBX importer either, though it is listed as one of the plugins inside of the Valkyrie file.

Is the importer a Modeler or Layout tool? Any other suggestions?

warmiak
03-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I saw that too, but I can't get Blender to open it. I tried both versions of the Collada importer (see attached image) and it throws errors either way.

I loaded the Valkyrie plugin in both LW9.6 and tried finding COLLADAObjectImporter from EditMenuLayout and can't find it. I have two Collada exporters in there, but no importer.

Note that I can't find the FBX importer either, though it is listed as one of the plugins inside of the Valkyrie file.

Is the importer a Modeler or Layout tool? Any other suggestions?

MilkShape would most likely work ... if you can share that file I could try on my windows machine.

Sekhar
03-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Deep Exploration will do it. They have a 30 day eval version.

BlueApple
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
MilkShape would most likely work ... if you can share that file I could try on my windows machine.

I appreciate the offer, but I think sharing this file would be frowned on. Milkshape appeared to be able to convert the file, but I didn't spot a Mac version. Is that correct?

Deep Exploration will do it. They have a 30 day eval version.

I hadn't thought of Deep Exploration; thanks for the suggestion. I may need to do this semi-longterm, however, and Deep Exploration is a pretty expensive file converter :)

warmiak
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I think sharing this file would be frowned on. Milkshape appeared to be able to convert the file, but I didn't spot a Mac version. Is that correct?

Yeah, unfortunately Windows only - too bad because this is the kind of application that concentrates on supporting various game formats and does it very well.

lansd
03-23-2010, 10:13 AM
I've been given a .U3D file (and will be getting more) that I need to get into LightWave somehow.

As the main provider/developer of all CAD and non-CAD conversion software to Lightwave users since the early 90's, let me mention this:

1) U3D is not a sub-set of Collada. They aren't even closely related. You can find the tainted history of U3D on my Shockwave-3D page (www.okino.com/conv/exp_sw3d.htm). Collada is a grounds-up, "new" XML file format minted by Sony + others during the mid 2000's. U3D started as the Intel IFX gaming toolkit in the late 90's. It was then 'forced' on many of us developers in the middle of 2000 by Intel, to become the Shockwave-3D file format. SW3D completely died and became obsolete in the spring of 2001 when Macromedia + Intel parted company and dropped the development of it. Intel then more or less forced IFX/SW3D on Adobe during early 2004 instead of letting Adobe adopt X3D as their standard file format (see elsewhere for this political history). U3D then more or less became obsolete in early 2008, going to 'file format heaven' after Intel dropped its one-man development/support for it.

2) We (Okino, me and my staff) always write the main, defacto implementation of each file format. We wrote the main U3D importer/exporter implementation, which took a good number of years since the IFX gaming toolkit was so horribly buggy. We removed all such bugs so we are able to guarantee ideal U3D conversions into Lightwave:

http://www.okino.com/conv/imp_u3d.htm
http://www.okino.com/conv/exp_u3d.htm
http://www.okino.com/conv/exp_lw.htm

Unless Blender and others had spent the same amount of time debugging all of the IFX/SW3D/U3D core bugs, their implementation is going to run across a lot of problems when dealing with U3D files.

3) Just as a generic question I ask everyday, why are you using U3D? As much as it is one of our core formats, U3D is not something I expect anyone to use in this day and age. The only programs which I would expect to save out U3D would be Microstation or Adobe Acrobat 3D.

4) This is all Windows based. However, 1 in 100 of my customers are Mac people since my 1997 release cycle and they run without problems on any emulator. Parallels has really taken over the market in the last 3 years so any and all Windows programs can run on it. You can pick up an older copy of Windows XP off eBay or somewhere for cheap, so Parallels + Window XP can be installed on your Mac for not a lot of money.