PDA

View Full Version : He did it Again!! GregMutt

Samus
03-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Remember Gregmutt Avatar Review on Youtube....well his at it Again!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zko-WEcKQ8&feature=sub

Sam.

IgnusFast
03-19-2010, 07:33 AM
That is the most awesome, screwed up thing(s) I've ever seen.

colkai
03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Brilliant! I so hope this becomes a series of vids. Most cool :)

cresshead
03-19-2010, 09:55 AM
excellent ..bingo tastic!

JeffrySG
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
ahhh... I like this one even more... really great, and funny!

dandeentremont
03-19-2010, 10:07 AM
I love the little tics he has.

*Pete*
03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
so, still no tutorial? lol

JeffrySG
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
I love the little tics he has.

:agree: Totally... the little movements in the eyebrows and forehead are great!

Titus
03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
And we still don't know who this guy is?

OnlineRender
03-19-2010, 12:39 PM
love his t-shirt

RebelHill
03-19-2010, 02:07 PM
And we still don't know who this guy is?

I got a fiver here that says its pooby.

any takers?

*Pete*
03-19-2010, 02:31 PM
its Pooby, no question about it.

Kuzey
03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
You know, if it is Pooby...Newtek should get him to do some adds for the release of Core :thumbsup:

Kuzey

BeeVee
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
It's apparently not Pooby.

B

RebelHill
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM

B

ok then...

greg "trex"?

Tranimatronic
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM

B

the plot thickens....
how do you know BeeVee ? hhmmmmm ?? something youre not telling us ?

we need some sort of Angela Landsbury figure to figure out exactly WHO is doing this. Let me see.... an englishman, in the library with a copy of fPrime..... professor plumb perhaps ?

Tranimatronic
03-19-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQuToiab2uU

okay now I'm beginning to doubt the one man thing. Either he doesn't sleep and is the Tyler Durden of 3d, or FaceRobot makes this so easy it is laughable OR he is an eccentric millionaire with a sweat shop somewhere in southern china.

or something.....

OnlineRender
03-20-2010, 02:34 AM
going by the t-shirt "spaced" its has to be someone from the UK . "badly educated guess!"

Markc
03-20-2010, 04:17 AM
going by the t-shirt "spaced" its has to be someone from the UK . "badly educated guess!"
Not necessarily, you can buy anything from the internet, and Spaced is probably on iTunes.
Think this is one for Inspector Clouseau!

OnlineRender
03-20-2010, 04:45 AM
hence badly educated guess :) but again spaced is more a UK thing than US . very similar to blackbooks cult following .

cresshead
03-20-2010, 06:17 AM
this sure keep Avatar around on the internet esp youtube....ideal for when the stripped down DVD/blue ray arrived in April...could it be from Lightstorm maybe?

SBowie
03-20-2010, 06:18 AM
going by the t-shirt "spaced" its has to be someone from the UK . "badly educated guess!"Forensics solves the riddle. Using a custom version of my Nanoscanmagic app (which I purchased in a parking garage from a guy who was fired from CSI Miami), I 'enhanced' the specular gleam in GM's left eye ...

OnlineRender
03-20-2010, 07:02 AM
forensics solves the riddle. Using a custom version of my nanoscanmagic app (which i purchased in a parking garage from a guy who was fired from csi miami), i 'enhanced' the specular gleam in gm's left eye ...

enhance it .......

Larry_g1s
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM
ha ha...great stuff.

BBen, how are you so sure?

pooby
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Perhaps Ben is trying reverse-psychology to make me own up to it.

cresshead
03-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Ben would know of course if 'BEN' made it....:D

pooby
03-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Thankyou :)

OnlineRender
03-21-2010, 01:55 PM
:rock:

cresshead
03-21-2010, 02:12 PM
we KNEW it was you!...now add some legs to him!

COBRASoft
03-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Superb Pooby!!!

jayroth
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Yep, great stuff. I was pretty sure it was you.

hrgiger
03-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh so it is Pooby. Nice. Good stuff Pooby.

Ernest
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
LOL! Out of all the artists in the world that might have used a combination of LW and XSI, not a single soul had a doubt that it was Pooby; not even after Ben outright denied it. That has got to say something.

I didn't think that face robot data could be transferred to Lightwave for rendering (I assume that rendering is what LW was used for). Does it require a lot of custom scripting to get it in?

Cageman
03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Hehe... so... is there a price for those that guessed correctly very early on? ;)

Cageman
03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
LOL! Out of all the artists in the world that might have used a combination of LW and XSI, not a single soul had a doubt that it was Pooby; not even after Ben outright denied it. That has got to say something.

I didn't think that face robot data could be transferred to Lightwave for rendering (I assume that rendering is what LW was used for). Does it require a lot of custom scripting to get it in?

PointOven... comes with XSI... exports vertex cache in MDD-format.

:)

BlueApple
03-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Superb work, Pooby. You are an absolute monster.

erikals
03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
PointOven... comes with XSI... exports vertex cache in MDD-format. :)

yep, should be easy :]

(Great work Pooby, very nice face animation :] )

Titus
03-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Great work, pooby!

Tranimatronic
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
and he would have gotten away with it too - if it wasn't for you pesky kids

Seriously though - this is some of the best work I have seen in ages. Very well done. I loved the mystery. Very refreshing

probiner
03-22-2010, 01:35 AM
congratz pooby, Amazing job.

congrats to the lotery guessing winners, you won a ticket to gregmutt's room. (Oh what? he's room not avaible? Oh i see...) Well, aahhh, good eye... good eye...

*Pete*
03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
that dog should do a review of core ;)

Fantastic work Pooby, besides of the flawless cg stuff i just loved the audio in it.

Give my congratulations to "mom" and the dog voices (dont tell me you did the dog voice?).

MrWyatt
03-22-2010, 02:05 AM
YAAAAAAAAWN. I knew it all along that it was pooby. Now make a web series with him, will ya pooby.
:thumbsup:

colkai
03-22-2010, 03:32 AM
Thankyou :)

Awesome Pooby, all the kudos you're getting is more than well deserved! :D

biliousfrog
03-22-2010, 03:38 AM
aw....I feel a little deflated now that the 'mystery' has gone :(

Well done Pooby, very nicely done :)

pooby
03-22-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Yes I was enjoying the Mystery too but I couldn't keep my identity a secret for ever. It hasn't been easy to not cash in on the best potential publicity I've had.
I think Three or so weeks of silence wasn't bad.

OnlineRender
03-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

Yes I was enjoying the Mystery too but I couldn't keep my identity a secret for ever. It hasn't been easy to not cash in on the best potential publicity I've had.
I think Three or so weeks of silence wasn't bad.

That spaced T-shirt gave it away :)next time make it RedDwarf :P great animation ! great work .
I wanna see his legs and a female counter-part (",)

CLAP CLAP CLAP
round of applauce for you .

pooby
03-22-2010, 04:22 AM
I knew using 'Spaced' was a bit controversial, but I'm a big fan and I wanted Simon Pegg to see it.

Anyway.. what are you on about? Greg LOVES Spaced!!

OnlineRender
03-22-2010, 04:32 AM
I knew using 'Spaced' was a bit controversial, but I'm a big fan and I wanted Simon Pegg to see it.

Anyway.. what are you on about? Greg LOVES Spaced!!

So when can I buy the Greg T-shirt ? :rock:

HowardM
03-22-2010, 05:16 AM
awesome stuff pooby, youve been a busy man since we last chatted years ago ;)

so is this all done in LW, hand animated, or is it mocap, etc?

everyone at work here in Soho LOVES IT!

keep it up :)

cresshead
03-22-2010, 05:38 AM
awesome stuff pooby, youve been a busy man since we last chatted years ago ;)

so is this all done in LW, hand animated, or is it mocap, etc?

everyone at work here in Soho LOVES IT!

keep it up :)

i think it's a mix of xsi [softimage] and lightwave

HowardM
03-22-2010, 06:53 AM
ah so it is mo cap...
did pooby do the voice too?
was it all done by pooby himself?!

erikals
03-22-2010, 07:06 AM
my guess, pooby had access to mocap devices back in the days, so yep, mocap.
also i guess he used face robot, as it surely doesn't look like some full automatic facecap method.
and mdd for importing the animation into LW.

bit unsure why he didn't do the rendering in SI though, maybe because LW is a bit faster, and has really nice MB.

could partly have been this video based mocap too, instead of "real" mocap,
http://www.ipisoft.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4vOLAHdOuo&feature=player_embedded

Julez4001
03-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Great JOB...Pooby!

How you were able to wait it out is beyond me.
I would have burst.

BeeVee
03-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Aha! I *knew* it was misdirection when Lee denied outright that it was you... hmm... yes, that's it.

B

RebelHill
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM

I freaking KNEW IT!!!!

To be fair it had your sig written all over it.

*Pete*
03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
aahahahaaa....Pooby gor a new avatar!!...now we know how he really looks like :D

MachineClaw
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
While I thought the animation and production value was top notch - it was the audio and feel/look of the character that really made it for me. Great job.

I actually laughed out loud at some of it, when the character knocks the camera and had to adjust added so much realism, as well as "mom" off camera.

Really great job.

pooby
03-22-2010, 04:34 PM
I will go into more detail later but it's nearly completely driven by mocap body and face. It's a custom rig I made so no face robot.
The reason I use lw instead of xsi is just that I love fprime's look and stable gi and I hate faffing about with rendering. With fprime it's easy and fast.
The mdd thing is no hassle at all either. In fact in some ways it simplifies things.

radams
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Very nicely done Pooby.

Cheers,

Cageman
03-22-2010, 05:41 PM
I will go into more detail later but it's nearly completely driven by mocap body and face. It's a custom rig I made so no face robot.
The reason I use lw instead of xsi is just that I love fprime's look and stable gi and I hate faffing about with rendering. With fprime it's easy and fast.
The mdd thing is no hassle at all either. In fact in some ways it simplifies things.

Cool stuff Pooby!

And yes... even if I do not use FPrime, the very little hassle I have to go through using LWs renderer compared to others out there add alot of value to classic LW. It is fairly easy to achive flickerfree GI with LWs native renderer nowdays, and it is pretty damn fast too. :)

Also, as you say, MDDs with PO makes it quite hassle-free to use multiple apps in a pipe. PO for the win!

:)

pooby
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
thanks again..

and BEN!!! Thanks for getting in contact with Simon Pegg and alerting him to Greg!!

Simon Twittered about Greg's 'Spaced' t shirt tonight. I love that!!!

jasonwestmas
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Very funny, made me laugh Pooby. I definitely use LW for the fast rendering options alone.

Tranimatronic
03-22-2010, 08:47 PM
It's a custom rig I made so no face robot.

That surprised me. I was actually seriously thinking about getting a copy of XSI, but after looking on youtube and noticing that it had been available for a while and there are very very few people using it, I decided it must be a b*ich to use/setup. After seeing the speed of your releases, I began to rethink this, but now I'm thinking maybe hard work and talent has a lot to do with it. oh well.

Pooby I'd love to see your new avatar singing the bowie clip you used as your old one. Would that be hard to do ?

I'm really looking forward to the details on how you did this. I'd also love to see more from Greg. Are there no billionaires out there willing to give Greg his own tv show

geo_n
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Amazing amazing work for one guy. I was sure it was a team that did this with such a short span.
So this is straight fprime renders? No render buffers,etc just fprime? :thumbsup:
NT should acquire fprime from worley before worley thinks of developing it for AD :devil:

It reminds me of the gorilla mtv and thought the team did this.

jasonwestmas
03-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Actually SI works great with lightwave, both make things easy in their own ways but not in the same ways.

BlueApple
03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Pooby (or anyone that knows the answer): a co-worker showed me a video of a facial capture system that, I believe, Pooby was using. On the left was video footage of a human with motion tracked marks on different facial points, and on the right was Pooby's 3D model with correlating control points. What program was this and how does it work? Anyone know where the original thread is?

allabulle
03-22-2010, 11:43 PM
Congratulations, Pooby. Fantastic job! Great clips!

inquisitive
03-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Great Job!

I googled here and there trying to find the creator, and even started to think if this perhaps was a Rob Powers/LightWave viral marketing effort or even an Actual Avatar effort to keep people thinking of the movie... hehe.

erikals
03-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Pooby (or anyone that knows the answer): a co-worker showed me a video of a facial capture system that, I believe, Pooby was using. On the left was video footage of a human with motion tracked marks on different facial points, and on the right was Pooby's 3D model with correlating control points. What program was this and how does it work? Anyone know where the original thread is?

partly answer here;

It's a custom rig I made so no face robot.

maybe zign track was tested first, though not used,...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81327

...hm, looking again at zign track it looks to make pretty ok mouth area capture,
blending that with custom eye area controls might actually be a very good idea...!

hrgiger
03-23-2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah, even when I was diving into XSI, it didn't take me long to think that I might still prefer rendering in Lightwave. I'm not really into the nuances of rendering and Lightwave rendering has always made sense to me. I even bought a book on Mental Ray and thought, this was more then I wanted to think about.

BlueApple
03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
partly answer here;

maybe zign track was tested first, though not used,...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81327

...hm, looking again at zign track it looks to make pretty ok mouth area capture,
blending that with custom eye area controls might actually be a very good idea...!

Thanks for the reply. I will look into zign track.

Does anyone remember seeing the actual video I am referring to? (Interface showing 2D facial motion capture on left and 3D head on the right.) I am not suggesting that this technique was used on GregMutt (I suspect not, though I have no idea), but I'd like to know what that package was. Was that zign track?

erikals
03-23-2010, 08:02 AM
don't know, but zign track has just that, video interface on the left, and 3D to the right.
so could very well be.

jasonwestmas
03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, even when I was diving into XSI, it didn't take me long to think that I might still prefer rendering in Lightwave. I'm not really into the nuances of rendering and Lightwave rendering has always made sense to me. I even bought a book on Mental Ray and thought, this was more then I wanted to think about.

High levels of control is nice when you need it but I find I don't usually need it. But that depends on how one defines high levels of control verses necessary levels of control.

hrgiger
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
High levels of control is nice when you need it but I find I don't usually need it. But that depends on how one defines high levels of control verses necessary levels of control.

Sure. And if we were talking about character animation or modeling, I'd be all about high levels of control. But for rendering, I just don't want to mess with it. I want the best possible render with the least amount of fiddling.

Samus
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Nice Work POOBy,

Any chance you Can Share some screengrabs or Wireframe?

Thanx.

pooby
03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm going to try and get some stuff together on the project to show in the next week or so. If Greg doesnt mind - He finds that stuff embarrassing.

walfridson
03-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm going to try and get some stuff together on the project to show in the next week or so. If Greg doesnt mind - He finds that stuff embarrassing.

That would be like saying santa clause doesn't exist :( please don't...

jasonwestmas
03-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Sure. And if we were talking about character animation or modeling, I'd be all about high levels of control. But for rendering, I just don't want to mess with it. I want the best possible render with the least amount of fiddling.

Yeah after messing with mental ray and comparing it to LW I can see why you would say that. MR is a tweak masters dream but really I rather be doing something else.

jasonwestmas
03-24-2010, 09:05 AM

I would love to see it.

Larry_g1s
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Really really great work pooby. Just echoing everyone else. Nice publicity too.

and he would have gotten away with it too - if it wasn't for you pesky kidsha ha...good stuff!

Scazzino
03-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Awesome job Pooby! :thumbsup:
This dog needs a series! ;)

cresshead
03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
looking forward to some behind the scenes makin of's!

CGI Addict
03-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Very cool work Pooby! Hilarious, reminds me of the talking babies in that stock investment commerical. Can we take a peek behind the curtain? Would love to see how you did it.

And yes, Greg needs some sidekicks for a regular series. I wouldn't miss a single one.

pooby
03-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Stay tuned.. You havent seen the last of Greg.

ps.. If I ever forget. Just add a thanks because I do really appreciate and am grateful for the nice remarks

HowardM
03-25-2010, 04:15 AM
are you doing the voice acting too?

*Pete*
03-25-2010, 03:34 PM
are you doing the voice acting too?

ever since he changed his avatar into Greggmutt, i read everything he writes with an imagined teenager voice...its getting disturbing already lol

Chris S. (Fez)
03-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Amazing! Hilarious!

Pooby, this video is officially viral. If I may be so bold please be completely shameless and capitalize on this opportunity while you can...if you have a treatment for an animated film or something similarly ambitious now is the time to submit it.

This is one of those lightning in a bottle episodes that, though I have full confidence you can capture again, you never know...

allabulle
03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Amazing! Hilarious!

Pooby, this video is officially viral. If I may be so bold please be completely shameless and capitalize on this opportunity while you can...if you have a treatment for an animated film or something similarly ambitious now is the time to submit it.

This is one of those lightning in a bottle episodes that, though I have full confidence you can capture again, you never know...

On the other side, he already works in a castle (literally)! :--)

Digital Hermit
03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Wow... Like with other talented artists on here I would say I am inspired.

But all I can think of now is, "Aw crap... I quit" - heh.

I can't say enough of how very glad I am that this was in done LW and FPrime.

Now you have to sell me a tutorial. :thumbsup:

Thanx!

inquisitive
03-26-2010, 02:49 AM
Before I knew who did it, while guessing/googling etc... the thought crossed my mind that you would do a vid with SquashyPhil to comment on GreggMutt (because of his profile picture). You could practically bring the whole dog pack out for a youtube show.

hehe GregMutt the Max Headroom of 2010 ;)

and to think that this looked so awesome back in the day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPq0FvFm3g

Lightwolf
03-26-2010, 03:32 AM
and to think that this looked so awesome back in the day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPq0FvFm3g
It's amazing what you can do with a decent actor and some good make-up, innit? ;)

@Pooby: I Love Greg, he's brilliant (and sooooo annoying :D )

Cheers,
Mike

OnlineRender
03-26-2010, 08:29 AM
must admit the VO work makes the video " also the fluent animation helps " his / its expressions are superb .

pooby
03-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes, the performance and character/context is everything.

The CGI's role is simply to translate the performance from the Actor to Greg with a minimum loss and hopefully some gain/exaggeration in some areas. Its to make Greg feel real enough to engage with.

It is nothing noteworthy as an 'animation' achievement as there is hardly any keyframing.
Technically, its CGI areas of interest are mostly in the facial rig engineering area and how is translates the c3d-Mocap to Greg's facial expressions automatically.

But the CGI isn't where the fun lies in doing Greg. Its actually quite banged out in some ways and far from flawless but it does the job ok.
Whats more fun is going down the Pub with Dawson, the actor and thinking up what Greg could do next.

OnlineRender
03-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Whats more fun is going down the Pub with Dawson, the actor and thinking up what Greg could do next.

nice insight , Greg needs a female counter-part , not in the same scene file , but as another spin off character engaging against Greg in the conversation e.g VIDEO RESPONCE :P good way to show fibrefx *chuckle* and bounce dynimacs "ahem" .

the great thing about Greg "ffs he's not real , stop talking in first person LOL " but thats how belivable the character is ...

you can run in so many directions with the character .

which is why its a winner and the release timming was PERFECT -----CHA-CHING .

lol

*Pete*
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
good way to show fibrefx *chuckle* and bounce dynimacs "ahem"

mmm....female dogs (lets just call them *****es) have 6 bouncy items to animate...could be cool.

aaw...Bit-c-hes is censored

OnlineRender
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
biatches isn't :)

wsantiago
03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Outstanding. Finally something good to talk about in this forum.

Netvudu
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
wow, terrific stuff. I love the whole idea as well as the execution Pooby. Congratulations on a job well-done.
I would also love some behind-the-scenes stuff, specially concerning the whole facial mocap process which is what most of us are not that familiar with. I donīt care if itīs XSI or whatever...itīs 3D.

Tranimatronic
03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd love to see him do a teenage angst-ridden 'open letter' to George Lucas about how Jar-Jar Binks and other CG characters are killing movies
....but only the bad ones

GraphXs
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Amazing work, great job! Yes it would great to see yr work flow. Is Newtek going to put this in the March Newsletter? If not it should go in a newsletter. Congrats Pooby!

Looking forward to future shows!

allabulle
03-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Amazing work, great job! Yes it would great to see yr work flow. Is Newtek going to put this in the March Newsletter? If not it should go in a newsletter. Congrats Pooby!

Looking forward to future shows!

You are absolutely right about the newsletter! Let's see if they (NT and Pooby) agree on doing it.

geo_n
03-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Fprime still kicking @$$.
Showed it to my collegues and jaw dropped this was a one man show.

geothefaust
03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Hey Pooby, great job on this. Some seriously amazing work. I'm getting into CA (finally got my feet wet in the rigging department btw!), and can definitely appreciate your Gregg Mutt videos on a different level then I probably would have before.

Anyway, again, congratulations. The publicity is well deserved, make good use of it. :beerchug:

HowardM
03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
So is the cloth Syflex in XSI or Lightwave?
Is that room rendered too or is that someones real bedroom?! ;)

You are going to totally be picked up by someone who wants to fund a show about Greg and his mates, nice one man!

btw, you guys are a lil sad talking about dogs nipples...but hey if that gets you off... what ever floats your boat...

pooby
03-27-2010, 07:49 AM
So is the cloth Syflex in XSI or Lightwave?
Is that room rendered too or is that someones real bedroom?!

The Cloth is Syflex in XSI. Its so flippin easy to use and always does a full 2 min take without any errors at all.
The room is a real room. In my book there's no point rendering something you can photograph. In fact I'd use a real Dog if I could get him to act better than Greg ;)

You are going to totally be picked up by someone who wants to fund a show about Greg and his mates, nice one man!

Thanks, you never know.

Matt
03-27-2010, 09:06 AM
So it IS one of our own, I feel so proud! Simply awesome work!

Matt
03-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Oh, and this stuff simply HAS to be shown at SIGGRAPH, in fact, if I were NewTek marketing, I would pay you to do a special "Hello SIGGRAPH" video to be shown exclusively on the big screen on the stand!

OnlineRender
03-27-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, and this stuff simply HAS to be shown at SIGGRAPH, in fact, if I were NewTek marketing, I would pay you to do a special "Hello SIGGRAPH" video to be shown exclusively on the big screen on the stand!

good idea , did you secretlty get that NT Marketing job ?

Matt
03-27-2010, 09:34 AM
good idea , did you secretlty get that NT Marketing job ?

Never went for it, they have apparently chosen someone, no idea who though.

OnlineRender
03-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Never went for it, they have apparently chosen someone, no idea who though.

maybe it's this dude .

http://newtek.com/forums/image.php?u=18493&dateline=1269256444

SBowie
03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Nope, but he might make a great spokespooch.

Ernest
03-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Showed it to my collegues and jaw dropped this was a one man show.

They need to check out Youtube more often.
There are plenty of webcam movie reviews done entirely by a single person.

Cageman
03-27-2010, 02:23 PM

To play devils advocate here, the LW-bashers would simply say:

"LW was only used for rendering, and not even LW, but a third party renderer for LW."

And then go on about how NTs marketing have yet again failed misserably etc, etc...

Tranimatronic
03-27-2010, 03:52 PM
"LW was only used for rendering, and not even LW, but a third party renderer for LW."
And then go on about how NTs marketing have yet again failed misserably etc, etc...

I have to agree here. Maybe a better idea would be to pay pooby to define a workflow and processes to be able to do the whole thing in Core.

.......Then scream it from the rooftops

pooby
03-27-2010, 04:55 PM
It is true that Fprime is the renderer but Lightwave IS contributing a few things too though. After all its lightwave's shading system that I'm using and I do love simple skin.
Plus the ease of adding animated normal displacements and driving them by null channels in LW is rather good - I can see how the displacements look in the viewport rather than doing test renders.

I'd love to see a day when CORE could handle Greg's rig. I'm exploiting a lot of XSI's remarkable strength's and stability to pull this off though.
I know that I can't replicate my particular facial rigging technique in Maya out of the box. I would imagine it would take a lot of iterations of Core before it would have all the tools required to build it.

speismonqui
03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
is your facial rigging technique exclusively lw based?

Cageman
03-27-2010, 05:24 PM
is your facial rigging technique exclusively lw based?

He is using XSI for the rigging and animation/deformation of the mesh.

OnlineRender
03-28-2010, 04:04 AM
what you talking about Greg is Real ? :)

archijam
03-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Exceptional stuff Pooby!

Though I will miss David Bowie and his 'cavemen' ;)

pooby
03-28-2010, 09:53 AM
How do you know about the cavemen?

Infinite
03-28-2010, 10:02 AM

:lwicon:now theres a thought!?:lwicon: it might even do Newtek some good! Bets are on...

If only... :grumpy:

Pooby, you are a legend.

Tranimatronic
03-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Plus the ease of adding animated normal displacements and driving them by null channels in LW is rather good - I can see how the displacements look in the viewport rather than doing test renders.

Now I'm confused. Are you saying you do your XSI stuff and THEN do your animated displacement in LW or do you mean you can view your animated displacement (created in XSI) in LW but not XSI ?

or have I missed the point entirely ?

archijam
03-28-2010, 01:58 PM
How do you know about the cavemen?

Well le'see .. it was your gif avatar for 2 years? ;)

I'm a big fat Bowie fan.

pooby
03-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Pooby, you are a legend.

Lee. stop trying to make me blush!!

Now I'm confused. Are you saying you do your XSI stuff and THEN do your animated displacement in LW or do you mean you can view your animated displacement (created in XSI) in LW but not XSI ?

All animated displacement is done in Lightwave.. Its driven by the rig in XSI and the animated info is passed to Lightwave via the channels of a null. ie XYZ HPB etc
Lighwave reads the changing amounts in the channels and uses the values to drive the opacity of displacements.

Well le'see .. it was your gif avatar for 2 years?

I'm a big fat Bowie fan.

Me too. Now He is a real legend

HowardM
03-29-2010, 03:32 AM
The Cloth is Syflex in XSI. Its so flippin easy to use and always does a full 2 min take without any errors at all.
The room is a real room. In my book there's no point rendering something you can photograph.

Yeah, Syflex was awesome, now ncloth is the nuts! Lw Cloth...meh ;)

So dont tell me thats actually someones room that YOU KNOW in person ;)

Matt
03-29-2010, 04:23 AM
BTW: Pooby, when is the next installment? I waaaaaaaaant the next one! :)

Also, did JC really send a message to you?

Iain
03-29-2010, 04:37 AM

Who? James Cameraman?

Hehe. Love it.

hrgiger
03-29-2010, 04:37 AM
I'd love to see a day when CORE could handle Greg's rig. I'm exploiting a lot of XSI's remarkable strength's and stability to pull this off though.
I know that I can't replicate my particular facial rigging technique in Maya out of the box. I would imagine it would take a lot of iterations of Core before it would have all the tools required to build it.

You should talk to Rob Powers about this. The video you posted early on in the CORE forums about how easy it is to set up a rig in XSI was really great and the I'd love to see something similar in CORE.

hrgiger
03-29-2010, 04:38 AM

Jesus?

cresshead
03-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Jesus?

...no i think the 'J' in teh who's is JC is james not jesus:D

Matt
03-29-2010, 06:47 AM
Jesus?

Close, James Cameraman! :D

Matt
03-29-2010, 06:48 AM
Who? James Cameraman?

After seeing the GregMutt video where he calls him that, I will forever refer to him as that now, sooooo funny!

pooby
03-29-2010, 07:10 AM

Well apparently James Cameron has seen Greg but I haven't got any feedback from that, disappointingly.
Greg got quite a few congratulatory Emails from guys working on Avatar and others at Weta and ILM and other places though.. It was a very surreal week when that first clip went out.

CGI Addict
03-29-2010, 09:35 AM
After seeing the GregMutt video where he calls him that, I will forever refer to him as that now, sooooo funny!

Agreed. :D

OnlineRender
03-29-2010, 09:46 AM
ye Dawson is a good VO artist perfoms well ! I suppose it helps hes not directly on camera , so he can say what he wants ! GREG FOR PM<

Matt
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Well apparently James Cameron has seen Greg but I haven't got any feedback from that, disappointingly.

I would sooooooooooooooo loved to have been in the room when that happened! :D

Tranimatronic
03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I would sooooooooooooooo loved to have been in the room when that happened! :D

heh !! me too..... I wonder if he has a sense of humor - or whether it was met with a total straight face.
What would have been REALLY nice would have been a James Cameron youtube reply - but I guess that may be TOO far fetched :D

OnlineRender
03-29-2010, 01:44 PM
What would have been REALLY nice would have been a James Cameron youtube reply - but I guess that may be TOO far fetched :D

Why not ,he's only HUMAN !

DragonFist
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
It would be even better if one of the "Blue Cats" (Navi) crew-members (Local Native Consultant) gave a video response defending accurate portrayal of his people, or something along that line. I'd LMAO at some Navi nerd getting into some sort of back and forth debate of geekish proportions with Greg.

*Pete*
03-29-2010, 03:02 PM

i bet he didnt like the "blue hippie cats" thing....

pooby
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
A funny thing was that Greg posted the clip on the avatar forums under the username GregMutt (where there are some very, lets say, involved fans of Avatar - ie. popular Threads there entitled stuff along the lines of 'Would Neytiri be your friend if you lived on Pandora)
Anyway.. some people angrily replied TO GREG saying things like "IF YOU HATED AVATAR SO MUCH WHY DID YOU WATCH IT FOUR TIMES????"
Yes, they replied to Greg.

Kuzey
03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
on the avatar forums

There is an avatar forum....oh me...oh my :D

Kuzey

Lightwolf
03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Well, if the other discussions are like the one you mentioned then I'm not surprised.
If you take one kind of Avatar for granted... Seen one, seen them all ;)

Cheers,
Mike

DragonFist
03-29-2010, 03:32 PM
That's what I think is great about your video. It comes across as a real person, err... dog. The animation has enough fine nuance to convey life. Probably, quite a few failed to notice that he's a mutt, nor get the joke about "blue hippie cats" coming from a dog.

And in the second video, Greg's confusion regarding the requests for tutorials is just awesome. It further carries the illusion.

There is a certain sadness that there are people that bought it so far that they replied to Greg. But cements the fact that technical skill required to pull off a quality communication is in these clips.

Well done!

pooby
03-29-2010, 04:01 PM
thanks

Ernest
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Why not ,he's only HUMAN !

Yes but using a camera and filming a video response is complicated stuff. What if he hasn't seen Greg's tutorial yet?

Tranimatronic
03-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm exploiting a lot of XSI's remarkable strength's and stability to pull this off though.
I know that I can't replicate my particular facial rigging technique in Maya out of the box.

So this is directed at Pooby, but I'd also like to know anyone else's thoughts on it, as I an still toying with the idea of buying XSI.

What is it that XSI has that I cannot find anywhere else ?

I know the benefit of having everything in one package, but what does XSI give me that I can't get anywhere else ?
Is it a part of faceRobot ?

BlueApple
03-29-2010, 09:05 PM
So this is directed at Pooby, but I'd also like to know anyone else's thoughts on it, as I an still toying with the idea of buying XSI.

What is it that XSI has that I cannot find anywhere else ?

I know the benefit of having everything in one package, but what does XSI give me that I can't get anywhere else ?
Is it a part of faceRobot ?

Here is the list of features in XSI (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13571168) There is a free demo available as well somewhere on their site.

I don't think it's controversial to say that character animation tools in XSI are very impressive, and this is often something cited when people opt for XSI over LightWave. That said, you can do character animation in LightWave. Lots of people earn their living doing it. Depending on your needs, pocket book, etc. LightWave could satisfy your needs.

As Pooby has demonstrated in a way that has rightfully made many of us crap our pants (in a good way), XSI and LightWave can be used together to create remarkable work.

Matt
03-30-2010, 03:19 AM
A funny thing was that Greg posted the clip on the avatar forums under the username GregMutt (where there are some very, lets say, involved fans of Avatar - ie. popular Threads there entitled stuff along the lines of 'Would Neytiri be your friend if you lived on Pandora)
Anyway.. some people angrily replied TO GREG saying things like "IF YOU HATED AVATAR SO MUCH WHY DID YOU WATCH IT FOUR TIMES????"

Oh my, there is so much mileage for winds ups right there!

Matt
03-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Probably, quite a few failed to notice that he's a mutt, nor get the joke about "blue hippie cats" coming from a dog

They also probably failed to notice that the majority of GregMutt's favorite videos on his YouTube channel are of the type "dogs are cool cats are crap"!

Classic, love the character development there! I can just see Pooby spending a whole day searching for cat and dog videos to favorite!

:D

Tranimatronic
03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
pooby didn't use face robot, he's just a great artist that knows how to rig and animate, and capture the nuances of a performance by utilizing the standard rigging tools in XSI.

Yeah - I have been following this thread.... Pooby mentions a certain rigging technique that XSI has that isn't available out of the box in Maya. I was wondering what this was.
Hence the question "What is it that XSI has that I cannot find anywhere else ?"
I have been searching the XSI feature list, and the only part I see that seems unique is facerobot.

To me facerobot doesn't seem widely used by mid to lower sized studios. It has been available for, what 18 months(??) as a part of XSI, and if you look on youtube for faceRobot, all you will find are 3 examples (two done by autodesk themselves) - which to me suggests it is a nightmare to set up, as it has been available for a while and not many people are using it.

Then Pooby comes along with some of the best animation I have seen in a while using XSI, but not faceRobot - again suggesting it isn't the holy grail of character animation.

This all is making me think twice about buying XSI. Im not really interested in feature lists, as they often are inaccurate, and can sometimes make a turd seem attractive.
What I AM curious about is the techniques Pooby is using to get these results, and if I can adapt these techniques to work in other packages (Messiah for example)

I'm beginning to guess its all in the way XSI can retarget mocap data. Is that right ?
Thanks for any info
T

pooby
03-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I can't tell you exactly what I'm doing in XSI, but its not the result of a plugin or anything like Face Robot.
Its just the way that XSI works that allows me to do what I'm doing.
its a combination of XSI's excellent constraints and the way XSI's modelling operators can be run live in realtime and the live switching of morphs from one mesh to another and things like that.
Its using standard XSI tools.
Messiah wouldnt allow my technique ,thats certain -not being able to model in the same environment as the rig would make it almost impossible.
As for Maya, I'm sure someone could knock up Melscripts to replicate what I'm doing, but I imagine that they'd not have a very nice time.

Considering that what I'm doing is relatively sophisticated, XSI just provides a nice environment and comprehensive but easy to use set of tools that makes the rigging aspect very straightforward and fun.
In the same way that for me Lighwave and Fprime make rendering and texturing fun. If its not fun, I wont stick at it.. thats why I use these packages.

Liber777
03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
...I an still toying with the idea of buying XSI....

There is a free version of Softimage|XSI called the Softimage Mod Tool. From what I can tell it's basically the full XSI software (I haven't seen a comparison chart), but you're not allowed to use it for commercial work. You can send MDDs from the Mod Tool into LightWave just as you can with the commercial version.

Tranimatronic
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I can't tell you exactly what I'm doing in XSI,
bugger ! - youre not going to do my work for me ??:)

Messiah wouldnt allow my technique ,thats certain -not being able to model in the same environment as the rig would make it almost impossible.

Messiah now has point animation which is pretty powerful. This allows zbrush-like modelling on top of your bone deformation
http://www.usefulslug.com/development/PointAnimationv2.mov

As for Maya, I'm sure someone could knock up Melscripts to replicate what I'm doing,

Actually my day job is a maya plugin developer. At night I use Lightwave to show myself how easy life COULD be.....

I suppose I am really wanting to know how to do your techniques without putting the research and time in myself. I just don't want to invest the money and time in getting XSI just to find there IS a way to do the same thing with the software I already have.

I would pay for a making of DVD. If you have ever pondered going down that path.

I can't wait to see the next installment !!
Cheers!

Jim Plant
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Absolutely laugh-out-loud brilliant! Can't wait for the next video.

stevecullum
03-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Then Pooby comes along with some of the best animation I have seen in a while using XSI, but not faceRobot - again suggesting it isn't the holy grail of character animation.

I don't believe there is such a thing as the 'holy grail of character animation.' Its all down to the artist. Given enough time and patience, Paul could have achieved the same using LW alone, its just easier and more fun in XSI.

WillBellJr
04-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Well I'll state again, in this more focused thread I'm really glad to see it was you that did this.

I'm also happy for the publicity this is shining on you right now - enjoy any future endeavors generated by all this fame!

You have a great talent; you make something that's hella not easy to do at all look simple and effortless!

I'd like to further say I hope you provide your inputs and suggestions to Newtek to make CORE's animation feature set something you'd enjoy to use because then I know it would be something excellent for myself and anyone else to use! :thumbsup:

-Will

PS - I know somebody, somewhere is laughing at that Greg Mutt video... :D

pooby
04-01-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks very much for your encouraging comments.

Paul could have achieved the same using LW alone, its just easier and more fun in XSI.

It is not my intent to criticise LW, but, Greg Mutt really couldn't have been done in LW using the techinque I'm using. All you have to play with in Lightwave classic is just bones and morphs really. It simply doesnt have a modifier stack that allows for layering of different deformers or the kind of necessary constraints with which to make the face rig that I'm using on Greg. I could rig Greg in LW, but it would be using simpler techniques and the face especially, wouldn't be able to move in the same fleshy way.

I am confident that Core will allow for al this stuff in future though. Thats the main point of it, to be totally flexible, so I'll be interested to see it develop.

stevecullum
04-01-2010, 10:18 AM
I could rig Greg in LW, but it would be using simpler techniques and the face especially, wouldn't be able to move in the same fleshy way.

I've seen LW rigs from Lino, while simpler still had sliding fleshy like behaviour for the faces. Probably, no certainly a different approach and perhaps the results not quite as good, but still decent. I'm sure a man of your talents, given the will and enough time could have achieved something similar in LW.

I am going to big up your skills, whether you agree with it or not! :D

JeffrySG
04-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Just wanted to chime in and say that I really loved the videos and thought that the comments that you said you got on the avatar forums were pretty funny.... :)

Great job, Pooby!