PDA

View Full Version : Two new plugins!

jagoca
09-09-2003, 04:40 AM
Hi everyone.

I've recently finished two interesting LScripts.

The firts (JettoFillet) allows to round sharp edges on single polys. It's intended to use before extruding or lofting.

Second (JettoBevel) is a really powerful tool. It can bevel multiple polys (real bevel, nor shift+scaling) with options such as bevel along a background profile or circular bevels and more. It is fake-interactive, and makes all operations within an editmesh session, so only one undo is required. i've tested it in depth, so it seems a solid work (I hope)

Along with supershift, I think is the first free tool in doing this. Moreover, supershift doesn't work exactly like mine, althought it is faster and more interactive (but with lesser options)

I wanted to post some picts, but I don't know how to link a pict which is in the harddisk (so does not have url). As you can see, I'm not really and Internet master :(

I ve linked a file with both LScripts to this post, as I don't know another way to make them avaliable (I don't have currently web page, I'm too busy for this now). If anyone can advice me about this... The zip includes some picts with what they can do and additional instructions, take them a look!

Please, send me any comment or suggestions to:

[email protected]
[email protected]

riki
09-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Igot really excited there for a minute becuase this is something we've been asking for, for a long time. But when I tried the two lscripts they both just froze my machine up.

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Both work fine on my machine.
Maybe you need a new version of LScript?

Very nice plugins :)
Anyway, if you post the zip to www.flay.com 's webmaster, he'll host them and put them in the most extensive LW plugin list known :)

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 09:42 AM
MMMM very very nice :) Keep me informed of updates :)

THANK YOU :)

riki
09-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I have the latest version of lscript, on a Mac OS9 with 7.5c

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Do lsc's work with mac? I thought it would only be ls that are platform independent? Don't you have to compile .ls to lsc's for macs seperately?

Also, could you put in Store and recall functions to keep the settings of each plugin from the last time you used them? Just so you can apply them to separate sets of faces with the same settings quickly.

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 10:03 AM
Also (I bet you're beginning to wish you'd never posted this :) )
could you make them so the new points inherit the weight/colour/uv map values of the old polys...

riki
09-09-2003, 10:10 AM
Yep lsc's normally work on Mac, no special magic required.

Dodgy
09-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Well something's banjaxed as they work fine on the pc :P

Dennik
09-09-2003, 12:09 PM
those are 2 great scripts jagoca!
thanks a lot for sharing them man.
:)

jagoca
09-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks you all!

Did you know that they where both programend on my old Pentium 100 (32MB)...?

It's been a lot of work, but the result has worth it! Dodgy, it seems you can read my mind, because keeping vmaps and settings are the first two additions I had in mind. I decided to release it before, in order to get people's opinion.

However, I don't know if simply copy VMpap info to the new geometry or making any kind of interpolation of so... I'm not very used to VMaps (I only employ them for texturing, and I must admit that I unknow most of lightwave tools related to this). In any case, it's an easy job, so I will update soon.

On the other hand, keeping seetings it's also easy (meanwhile an external file, which seems the most secure option) I was thinking on save also profile info or something like that, so you can repeat a profile bevel many times without keeping the actual profile. Any suggestions are welcome!

I also wanted to make my LScript work directly in subpatch mode, so new polygons connected to patches became patches. The only solution I found was a little ugly: save selection, select patches and preserve its ID, recall selection, check polys and then convert required geometry meanwhile togglesubpatches.

The problem is that togglesubpatches is CS, so the operation will require an additional undo, and I don't want this!

Isn't any way of creating patches directly within the meshedit session!?

Finally, I'll like to add spinning controls to the inset and shift fields. The problem is to get the adequate increase for the fields (which depend on the default units employed and the model size)

If anyone could help me, we'll all contribute to polish this tool.

Thanks again.

riki
09-09-2003, 06:04 PM
If anyone could help me, we'll all contribute to polish this tool.

It might be a bit easier if it was an ls. Is there any particular reason that it needed to be compiled?

kevman3d
09-09-2003, 06:54 PM
A couple of reasons to compile:
* To protect the hard-written source code from people ripping it off for their own projects
* If there are cool images in the GUI, compiling can 'insert' the image into the plugin easily.

A couple of reasons NOT to compile:
* If your plugin crashes, people can debug it themselves
* Old Lscripts can be updated if you plan to no longer support them yourself

I'm thinking, OS9 and 7.5c? Perhaps its an OS9 issue rather then a LW one? I know I've seen many an issue with OS9 vs OSX.

Just a thought.

thekho
09-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by riki
Igot really excited there for a minute becuase this is something we've been asking for, for a long time. But when I tried the two lscripts they both just froze my machine up.

Me too. Your both lscripts both froze and crashes my pc.

SLAYER
09-09-2003, 10:03 PM
....polish this tool.

Heh-heh.

riki
09-09-2003, 10:55 PM
haha missed that one :)

jagoca
09-10-2003, 02:00 AM
The reason I have compiled both plugins is simply for protecting hard-written code, as Kevman3d said.

I can't understant why do they freeze the computer (I use compiled versions too), as I have checked them along an obtained never this problem.

Currently the scripts check al possibilities (such as invalid polys, curves, etc...) so the reason for a crash must be an LScript issue. I will try updating to 7.5c and compiling again.

riki
09-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Cool thanks jagoca. Lscript does have some bugs on the Mac, such as not being able to 'Save' files.

claw
09-10-2003, 03:49 AM
It's not the script nor the mac that are the problem, just a very old and buggy operatingsystem "OS9" that is the bad guy here. I've tested those script on a mac running OSX, and it works great!

zarti
09-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Nice Work.!>

I remember another AutoCAD command called CHAMPFER (not sure) which included in your script if you set 1 at Segment input.

also interesting applications,...yes very useful.
Well Done!

RESPECT!

claw
09-10-2003, 04:02 AM
The only problem I got is that it doesn't work bevel on non flat surfaces, every thing just screws up if I do that.

jagoca
09-10-2003, 06:26 AM
What do you exactly mean with non flat surfaces?
JettoBevel needs poly normals to operate, however it should work with non planar polys. (Although tecnically non planar polys couldn't be beveled) If you could post a couple of picts I could get a better idea of the problem.

This is what I want, I want to know where does my script fail to work. Please report any problems or suggestions (I've just started with the VMap implementation, and I've a couple of ideas in mind...)

claw
09-10-2003, 07:12 AM
ok, I captured some images from my screen, hope this helps. I haven't done so much actually, just selecting the faces and executing the script, and this is what I get.

http://www.freewebs.com/clawie/1.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/clawie/2.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/clawie/3.jpg
http://www.freewebs.com/clawie/4.jpg

(btw, you have to cut and paste the links in order to get it to work, I have a bad host)

jagoca
09-10-2003, 09:36 AM
mhhh....

Seems these LScripts don't work fine on mac, because these examples work perfectly on my computer. You can see it in the picts provided (there's an sphere, a cone and a box). I've also checked surfaces with non planar polys and all works around.

I don't know how to send picts that are located in my hard disk (as I don't have web page). You can be sure that my plugin works in all cases, this has been the main purpose along all his development. I've checked tons of geometries without any problems. As an additional info, I repeated the test with similar geometries on 3DSMAX at classes, an obtained exactly the same results (with the exception of rare cases that are not suported by my Script but also lack of sense). I don't know if it will fail in extremun weird geometries or so, but you can be sure that your results are a Mac issue. I will try with 7.5c an post again.

I can't get to a mac to check things myself, otherwise I will try with the non-compiled version and try to fix things.:(

Here macs are really unpopular (I have never see one, can you believe...:eek: )

claw
09-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Maybe it could be some micro differences in the mac version of lscript. Although I have never seen a script that behave like this on a mac. Are you using any CPU specific commands in the script?

Hope you fix the problem, the script looks very useful! Maybe I have to buy a PC to run it:)

wacom
09-10-2003, 10:43 AM
OK...SOMEONE needs to get this working for everybody. It runs fine on my machine (LW 7.5c) and is THE best free set of plugins of this type on the market (and better than many pay-plugins). Amazing!

Thank you!

Dodgy
09-10-2003, 10:44 AM
I've tried it with all sorts of poly arrangements and they pretty much all work as expected. This is on the pc version of 7.5c.

I would like to see polys that cross on larger bevels have the crossing points (at the corners usually) merged together to keep the geometry clean (like bevel++ does), but that's not a bug per se, just a feature request :)

jagoca
09-10-2003, 11:45 AM
I take account of this feature!

mhh... I couldn't imagine that they where going to be so useful. I will try to do the merge stuff, although it can be more complicated than it seems.

Thanks for your interest and suggestion!

Hey! who said they are free!? If anyone using it doesn't send me 1$ he will go to hell, you can be sure. (For MACs there's a discount of 0.9$)

Mylenium
09-11-2003, 12:18 AM
Hi Jagoca,

Thanx for the nice tools. I have been playing around with them for quite a while today and I like them very much. they are fast and reliable. The downside to them is that they once more depress me about LW's lack of development/ advancement especially in Modeler ;o). I suppose unless there is something really breathtaking in v8 even I (being very choosy about having to buy functions that should be in the core program) would be willing to shelve out some bucks. *sigh* They make a technical modeler's live sooo much more enjoyable.

Mylenium

jb_gfx
09-11-2003, 05:19 AM
Great job! These scripts are really excellent, specially the bevel one.

JettoFillet could be interactive tho, that would be real better.

Also can you change the gadgets to input "Shift" and "Inset" in JettoBevel to have arrows so we can change the values by just dragging the arrows, that would be better to work in interactive mode.

It would be nice if both scripts could remember the last settings used (just a basic preferences file in LightWave's config dir).

jagoca
09-11-2003, 09:14 AM
Hi gfx!

Remember las settings will be easy. I'll implement it as soon as I get a bit free time. I've also added just an option to preserve UV. With it, new points will inherit VMap info from points they come from. This info is simply copied, I don't make any interpolation of so (I think it lacks of sense).

However, this is not made interactively (since modifying UVs will require and additional undo), so values are copied once you press OK in the interface. I think there's no problem with this limitation. Also, with the option checked you'll need an addittional undo. This is a LScript limitation, although results are fine.

On the other hand, LScript does not include spinner controls for distance concrols. The only possible solution I've found is adding a couple of minislider controls in place and link them with the content of distance control values, or employ directly these kind of controls along with a choose units dropdown list (I don't like this last solution). The problem with the first solution is trying to guess the correct increase for the distance field when the minislider is increased one unit. I hope anyone could help me with this.

I also want to add the possibility of do profile bevel directly with background curves, with an option to control bevel subdivision interactively. This seems not too complicated.

Thas all folks! Your answers really encourage me :)

Simon
09-11-2003, 09:34 AM
Sweet!!! Thanks for spending the time/effort on these, they're excellent. I'd second the comment that dragable arrows for the bevel input values would be good.

silvergun
09-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Is That Eddie Hitler from Bottom?

Dodgy
09-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Yes it is :)

thekho
09-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by thekho
Me too. Your both lscripts both froze and crashes my pc.

Oh. i can uderstand thats why my pc crashed and frozed with your plug ins cos of this Lightwave 7.5. which didn't work with your plug ins after i read your notepad. You said this plug in will work in only Lightwave 7.5b or 7.5c.

Well, i don't want to upgrade 7.5 to 7.5c cos i heard about thats 7.5c has a lot of crashes and some plugins (www.flay.com) doesn't work with it as well.

thekho
09-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Hi again

Your cool plug ins work fine in my other pc with LW 7.5c cos i have 2 computer, so i thought i try to upgrade 7.5c with my old pc and other new pc stay with LW 7.5.

Thank you :)

ninjaman
09-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Mac user here - sadly these xtremely cool scripts won´t cut it on my Mac/7.5c. Get the dreaded "polygon-disappearing-out-to-space"-problem.
Could someone who knows Richard Brak ask him to have a looksee on these scripts, cause they simply seem to good not be made available to the Jobs crowd.

Ninjaman

jagoca
09-29-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi.

I'm finishing my website now!

I will post here the last two versions of Jettobevel and jettofillet (this last finally interactive). They have been really enhanced, but I don't think the Mac issue gets solved.

jagoca
09-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Sorry, I meant "I will post there"

saburi
05-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Nice work:)
Some objects bevel weird, but both work okay on my Mac - OS X.3.3,LW[8]

jagoca
05-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Bevel weird?

It must be a Mac issue, since I have used the plugs for a long time and found no errors, at least if your geometry selection is bevelable, of course.

At least you can use it, since most Mac users got their computers freezed and so. Compiled plugins seem not to work properly on Mac, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed on LW8

Happy beveling!

saburi
05-25-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I think it is a Mac issue.
Looks like objects with volume have this type error.

Beveling on a plane works, and jettofillet is just wonderful on a Mac too:)

saburi
05-25-2004, 02:53 AM
FYI, what happens on my Mac.
"polygon-disappearing-out-to-space":confused:

jagoca
05-25-2004, 08:14 AM
You can be sure it's a Mac issue, since examples like this where the most used when programing the tool and they have always worked fine. What seems most strange is the fact that the model you see in Layout (at least as seen from the picture) seems ok.

I have never got those "infinites edges", so can't imagine what are they due to.

Newtek should see that making compiled LScripts compatible with MAC is currently one of the main priorities, specially if we have in mind that one of the strong points of LW when compared with other fisrt class apps (XSI, Maya..., most of them unfortunately much more powerful than LW when programming the API, among other things) is its great community.

Hope we don't loss this in the future...

GregMalick
06-04-2004, 09:33 PM
How come the pictures for the JETTOBEVEL page on your web site don't display, but JETTOFILLET and JETTOLOCAL display fine?