PDA

View Full Version : Computers are unprofessional

pooby
03-18-2010, 05:50 AM
I am not happy with my computer today.

Why is it that computers can't be designed with a little bit of memory dedicated to the cursor movement and the OS?
Why is it that when I'm clearly trying to do too much on the machine at once. (IE rendering out a sequence in Fprime whilst also using Photoshop and making previews in After effects.) My computer spazzes out and freezes?
Surely it would be more polite to just have a message come up saying something along the lines of "We are experiencing some technical difficulties regarding your rather optimistic usage of memory. We will sort it out but don't worry. I have not crashed. In fact I have allocated a small amount of memory so you can still move your cursor around to re-assure yourself. ( even though I'm not going to let you actually use any more memory for the moment)"

But Oh no.. I'm given the impression that everything has halted, the computer has frozen and it'll probably need re-booting. So I do what anyone would do in the circumstances and click angrily on everything thats open to Coax it into working again.
The computer acts like its ignoring me, which is annoying enough, but not as annoying as, when it DOES come back to life, it, in a blink of an eye, It goes on a maximising and minimising frenzy literally carrying out all the angry clicking tasks I did when it was pretending not to listen!! Some of which tasks I now realise were a little rash and just done in the heat of the moment.
ITS TOO LATE NOW you moron!

If it were a restauraunt and it conducted itself in that manner I doubt I'd have a pudding

biliousfrog
03-18-2010, 06:11 AM
I feel your pain but...although I'm sure you'll hate me for saying it...multiple CPU/cores, plenty of RAM, RAID arrays, dedicated scratch disc's and 64bit OS will ease your pain considerably...even better, get a second computer

UnCommonGrafx
03-18-2010, 06:13 AM
Great morning laugh.
They seem to be doing that spazzing more and more lately. We bought the hype, it would seem.
Or we need new hardware.

pooby
03-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Ive got 18 computers. Thats the tragic irony of it all

SBowie
03-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Ive got 18 computers. Thats the tragic irony of it allIf they form a union, you're in deep trouble ...

probiner
03-18-2010, 06:38 AM
If they form a union, you're in deep trouble ...

:ohmy: so funny.
That only happens to computers that run Animatrix or Ghost in the Shell DVD's...

I feel your pain. But computers are not yet synaptic... and let's hope they never will be for the general public, ehehe

cresshead
03-18-2010, 06:39 AM
yup...been there done that...'tedious nonsense' is how i would describe it...of course if your on a apple mac with osx you get a nice spinny round thingy with a drop shadow to grumble at instead...

linux?....any better?

Nangleator
03-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Use PowerPoint leading up to, then during an important presentation, in front of hundreds of people, and you'll realize computers are hysterical crybabies under pressure. Where are the cold, emotionless, perfect machines of 60's and 70's movies?

I feel like Spock trying to reason with a terrified, bubble-headed bimbo from a slasher movie when it's time to adjust some values in a chart, or print out notes pages. How can I be more logical and much, much faster than a modern computer?

OnlineRender
03-18-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm proud to say I do not own 1 single intel chip set !
AMD all the way

cresshead
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
AMD all the way

you do know there's support groups for people in your desparate situation:devil:

yo are not alone...many people fall into the habit of amd...they can help you kick it...all you need do is face upto it and talk with others..they are there to help guide you back onto the stable path of intel:lol:

Hieron
03-18-2010, 09:07 AM
AMD all the way

What does this have to do with anything? :)
Fanboy.. :P

Eddie Izzard regarding computers/working at night/not getting them to *peep* do what you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6C_HjWr3Nk

Mine usually wait untill the very last moment, and just before I head to bed the farm craps out. Or riiight after I went, to surprise me in the morning..

OnlineRender
03-18-2010, 10:05 AM
ohh did fanboy hurt your intel fellings :rock:

http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/itell.gif

http://airspace1.com/images/No_Intel_Inside.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/bittertruthnavin/FunnyImages/funny_pictures_Windows_Network.jpg

http://www.lolhome.com/img_big/funny-picture-19.jpg

Hieron
03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Pentium III, CRT monitors, Bush, old logo.

Something is telling me you are still living in the days that Athlon actually was a decent option for a while... hehe. Awww *pat* *pat*. I too have one of those.. those were the days. It's right next to my other old crap.

OnlineRender
03-18-2010, 11:14 AM
would you like me to google something more recent ? also crt are highly used still in schools . your pissed because you have intel ,correct ??

biliousfrog
03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I've still got a dual-core Athlon which I built years ago and hasn't skipped a beat, I use it as a render controller...I've also got several Intel computers ranging from Q6600's to quad-core Xeon's to i7's...there's absolutely nothing between them. Intel have been ahead for the last few years in performance but AMD still offer some great chips at slightly lower performance....apart from that there's barely any discernable difference for the average user. You look at what you can afford and you buy what offers the best bang for your buck, it's a bit like arguing over brands of tyres, very few people will ever notice any difference between them.

OnlineRender
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I've still got a dual-core Athlon which I built years ago and hasn't skipped a beat, I use it as a render controller...I've also got several Intel computers ranging from Q6600's to quad-core Xeon's to i7's...there's absolutely nothing between them. Intel have been ahead for the last few years in performance but AMD still offer some great chips at slightly lower performance....apart from that there's barely any discernable difference for the average user. You look at what you can afford and you buy what offers the best bang for your buck, it's a bit like arguing over brands of tyres, very few people will ever notice any difference between them.

Dont talk about tyres I just bought 2 new back tyres for my car ,yesterday " mega sucked " never knew they cost so much or I would never had bought the feken car ...

generally I goto scrappy and get big WIlly to fit them for 5 bucks a tyre but the new car is low profile numbers costing "ahem cant say feel sick " .

on the subject of intel and i7 , Hyperthreading does look cool .

Jim M
03-18-2010, 01:34 PM
Bring back the hardware mouse cursor on the amiga.

twillit
03-18-2010, 01:45 PM
yup...been there done that...'tedious nonsense' is how i would describe it...of course if your on a apple mac with osx you get a nice spinny round thingy with a drop shadow to grumble at instead...

linux?....any better?

Not sure about all flavors of linux, but on ubuntu the apps have all the color drained from them when they freeze... its quite dramatic.

Hieron
03-18-2010, 03:21 PM
would you like me to google something more recent ? also crt are highly used still in schools . your pissed because you have intel ,correct ??

Yes please, google some more recent logo mock ups. That surely will prove the point.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3763&p=9

There is a reason why AMD procs are so damn cheap these days, they have to be priced correctly compared to their performance or no one would even buy them (ok, spare the occasional afficionados).

But something tells me you don't really care, run dual W5590's there and are just trolling and being succesful at it :P

jasonwestmas
03-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I usually "End Process" on something the first sign of a mem freeze. Not the ideal method but it works.

OnlineRender
03-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Not sure about all flavors of linux, but on ubuntu the apps have all the color drained from them when they freeze... its quite dramatic.

:rock: I like ubuntu you could say some users would class it as linux fanboy , running xtreme is fun , but the only problem with linux is opensource virus'es although easily overcome the codes there for all to see ,but again everything just wants to go faster . :P

Matt
03-19-2010, 02:00 AM
The other classic is when you do something, it fails, then you do the exact same thing and it works!

I WANT TO KNOW WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I love my PC, lovingly built myself, but sometimes I could through it through the window! :D

jasonwestmas
03-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Sometimes I swear that some applications screw up the Operability of other Applications. I'm not talking about spy and adware. I guess anything is possible.

cresshead
03-19-2010, 07:19 AM
i never had any of these issues with my atari stfm

http://rhodblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/atari_st_computers.jpg

Red_Oddity
03-19-2010, 07:31 AM
Sometimes I swear that some applications screw up the Operability of other Applications. I'm not talking about spy and adware. I guess anything is possible.

My experience is that it is almost always something Adobe wrote, be it Photoshop or After Effects, i swear, their software does not play well with others.

cresshead
03-19-2010, 09:06 AM
photoshop elements annoys me no end as when you boot it up...off it goes and try to connect to the net...takes 30 40 seconds to boot and use it ....GRRR...looking for updates or 'would you like to register it".....NO i've already registered it on my laptop..no needed toon my quad core as there's NO f;n connection to the net....really...adobe is tedious sometimes!

jasonwestmas
03-19-2010, 09:20 AM
photoshop elements annoys me no end as when you boot it up...off it goes and try to connect to the net...takes 30 40 seconds to boot and use it ....GRRR...looking for updates or 'would you like to register it".....NO i've already registered it on my laptop..no needed toon my quad core as there's NO f;n connection to the net....really...adobe is tedious sometimes!

Ohhh man, applications that consistently connect to the internet aggravates me to no end. Doesn't matter what for but I don't want the app. to do that unless I ask it to.

metahumanity
03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
The real culprit when it comes to that stuff is Windows. Can you say overblown?

Tip: Run msconfig and kill all Startup processes you donīt need to work.

You can run a Vista or XP comp with 400 mb leaving plenty for your work.

Which still is kind of ridiculous considering what Amiga OS could do on 16 mb.

Oh well.....