PDA

View Full Version : How would you texture this

THREEL
03-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to texture the outside of this cylinder with this image. I want the image to repeat around the outer side to represent a film strip, but I'm not having a good go at it. I've tried planar, cylindrical, and the whatnot, oh and UV's too. I can't get it figured out.

I used ripples for the sides, which works for me. This will be inside a reel. So, this one should work.

Please, help me figure out the film strip outer side.

Thanks for taking a look and helping!

Dexter2999
03-17-2010, 12:25 AM
The film spool is 8 equal segments? Rotate the "frame" 90 degrees. Replicate the "frame" 7 more times. Then apply it to the UV map? That way the series of frames relatively coinside with the UV map you are making?

Just throwing it out there.

THREEL
03-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Thanks Dexter2999!

The outer circumference should be equal to about 24 frames. Maybe, if I make the image 3 frames worth it might work, but I've, also, had problems getting the UV maps to do what I want.

We'll see. Back to the drawing board!

Snosrap
03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
This should work. The UV map only needs to be made up of the outer polys only. Trying to create a UV map for the whole cylinder would be a mess. Once the UV is made, stretch it so the pattern will repeat. You should go into a paint application and fix your film stock so it tiles nicely and doesnít show the seams. Good luck.

Snosrap
03-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Re-read your post. Itís easy to get more frames per roll. Scale your model accordingly and stretch your UV as desired for the look you want to achieve. It takes all of 30 seconds.

Rove
03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
hmmm you could also model a rectangular object, texture it and morph it into a cylindrical object? Just a different technique though.

THREEL
03-17-2010, 09:57 PM
This should work. The UV map only needs to be made up of the outer polys only. Trying to create a UV map for the whole cylinder would be a mess. Once the UV is made, stretch it so the pattern will repeat. You should go into a paint application and fix your film stock so it tiles nicely and doesnít show the seams. Good luck.

Hey Snos! How's it going? How do you get your UV map to do that? I'm still running v8.5 :( and I cannot get it to do that. I'm only doing the outer edge. It would be crazy to try and UV the whole object in one shot. Haha!!! Yeah, I saw that with the slight color differential on the border. I'll have to see what I can do to fix that. One step at a time, though.

BTW--A friend of mine is working on my website. I think he's using front page, but I'm not positive.

Thanks!

THREEL
03-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Here's what I've come up with using what you showed me, Snos. The only problem now is, it wants to cut off the outside edges. I used UV spider to get what you see. The numbers I used shouldn't have cut off half of the cog holes. Do you think it could have something to do with sub-patching?

Snosrap
03-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Here's what I've come up with using what you showed me, Snos. The only problem now is, it wants to cut off the outside edges. I used UV spider to get what you see. The numbers I used shouldn't have cut off half of the cog holes. Do you think it could have something to do with sub-patching?

Yes it could. Go to your Vertex Map panel (F8) and select Subpatch Interpolation for your UV Map.