PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #76 "do you want that with knobs on?"

cresshead
03-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #76 "do you want that with knobs on?"
Speed Modeling Challenge #76 "do you want that with knobs on?"
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

This week's topic: "do you want that with knobs on?"

Time Limit - 90 minutes.

With the current trend to take away any physical controls on many products and go 'touch screen' lets have a modeling contest to put the physical controllers back up front & center!

so...anything festooned with Knobs, Dials, Switches and Buttons! [real ones!]

This of course can be old or retro products: from a etch a sketch, analogue synths, remote controls, 50's/60's neuclear powerstation, radios,things from sci fi films that had a boat load of knobs in there just for effect! , hi fi systems, old style tv's from 60's-80's, cookers, washers, game controllers, microwave ovens from the 80's or you could take a new product like the apple ipad and 'knob it up" with a add on accessory:beta:

Deadline - Wednesday 17th march 2010 to the 24th march 2010 2200 hrs GMT(with an optional one week extension upon request...which would make the new deadline - 31st of March - 2200 hrs GMT)

Hopper
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
So... ummm.... do the knobs have to be mechanical? <wink wink nudge nudge>.. :D

chco2
03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
I like this one :)
Hope I get the time this time to participate again!

Ow.. for the next challenge..
I've had contact with William Shatner and now with an editor called Sammy from www.myouterspace.com. I've put in the question if we could get some original drawings from John Eaves (created the models for the original Star-Trek series, as well as TNG and Deep Space Nine) to use it for one of our speed modeling contests.
I thought it would be a nice idea for a change, what do you think?

cresshead
03-16-2010, 06:10 PM
So... ummm.... do the knobs have to be mechanical? <wink wink nudge nudge>.. :D

i just KNEW someone would bring that up...:D

Myagi
03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Maybe a bit far fetched, but it just popped into my mind when reading the description (touch screens - iphone games, nintento DS - "physical controllers" => good 'ol days and best joystick made :) )

Took the full time (hence no time for cord). Actually I was on pretty good time (for being me), when the darn metal plating ate up all time and still didn't end up accurately like the real one. Cursed be my urge to do everything with subD's.

cresshead
03-17-2010, 01:44 AM
just had a go...but i took waay to long looking for reference photos and modeling etc
still i know have best to make a 'knob' now!

i've got my next one lined up..and will put 2 alarms on for that just to keep from drifting over the 90 mins!

see my failed effort over here [ snail pace modeling!]
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=999409#post999409

stevmjon
03-17-2010, 02:07 AM
good work myagi.

i remember the good ol days. spent many hours on my amiga playing games, and occasionly breaking the joystick. had a habit of pushing too hard and pulling the joystick out of the controller. even though i re-assembled it, it never quite worked the same.

stevmjon

chco2
03-17-2010, 03:19 AM
I remember that :) 'till I bought the Arcade-joystick. That thing never broke! Great times!

good work myagi.

i remember the good ol days. spent many hours on my amiga playing games, and occasionly breaking the joystick. had a habit of pushing too hard and pulling the joystick out of the controller. even though i re-assembled it, it never quite worked the same.

stevmjon

chco2
03-17-2010, 06:33 AM
hiya guys,

I will be on the phone with John Eaves later today, is there any interest in creating some models from his original drawings or not?

Cheers,
Charlot

sampei
03-17-2010, 07:56 AM
excellent subD model myagi !
I think I'll also go for something related to games..ah how I miss the good old days of button mashing :D

Myagi
03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks :) I had few "damn I should have done it this way" moments, so my stubborness to use subD's was worth, as for me the main purpose of the challenge is learning and going a bit out of the comfort zone.

I will be on the phone with John Eaves later today, is there any interest in creating some models from his original drawings or not?

I don't know if I'd be capable of anything complex (depending on what models), but I'm a sucker for anything trek and original drawings, so bring it on! :D

chco2
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
Since we were talking about ST.. thought I'd have a go at the captain's chair :)

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/chair_knobs.png

About 40m modeling and another 40 for texturing..

And the wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/chair_knobs_wire.png

Iain
03-17-2010, 02:32 PM
That's ace, Myagi san!

Nice one from you too cresshead.

Hmmmm knobs eh?

cresshead
03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
hi

here's one that made the 90 min barrier...no time to rotate the knobs to random seetings or flip some switches either...still done one!

this is a analogue monophinic synth module..sounds great for BASS btw..i want one!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83228&d=1268959071

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83229&d=1268959090

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83232&d=1268959786

this below is a real photo of one btw!
http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_medium.jpg

cresshead
03-18-2010, 07:32 PM
hdri renderout with a couple of tweeks to knob rotationsand flip switches

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83237&d=1268965669

shrox
03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Woman on the left, man on the right.

47 minutes

cresshead
03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Woman on the left, man on the right.

47 minutes

spot on! :D

cresshead
03-19-2010, 08:40 PM
korg microkorg XL

90 mins got me the keys and the main casing plus 2 knobs!
afterward i finished most of the model...still abit to do but thought i'd post what i have

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83252&d=1269052732

later edits and a render...

btw if anyone wants the model/scene of either the korg or doepfer synths left me know and i'll zip 'em up

just for reference here's a PHOTO of the REAL thing
http://isamuy.com/blog/microKORG_XL.jpg

Soth
03-20-2010, 01:39 AM
Cresshead, wow, you are modelling monster, so many, so quick! :)

Iain
03-20-2010, 02:55 AM
Yeah great stuff Cresshead!

And Shrox - that is so very accurate.

cresshead
03-20-2010, 06:03 AM
Cresshead, wow, you are modelling monster, so many, so quick! :)

thanks!...of course i am choosing stuff with a lot of copy->> paste..so makes me look like i'm a fast modeler!

chco2
03-20-2010, 06:28 AM
If you want, please post them in this topic. (Free Speed Models (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1000230))

korg microkorg XL
btw if anyone wants the model/scene of either the korg or doepfer synths left me know and i'll zip 'em up

RudySchneider
03-20-2010, 06:50 PM
I had high hopes for this, with a perforated chassis 'n' everything. Ah, but my skills did not meet my aspirations in the allotted time. Don't know if I'll take this any further, but at the full 90 minutes, I still had fun.

cresshead
03-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I had high hopes for this, with a perforated chassis 'n' everything. Ah, but my skills did not meet my aspirations in the allotted time. Don't know if I'll take this any further, but at the full 90 minutes, I still had fun.

you simply HAVE to finish that model off ...will be cool to see it completed:thumbsup:

old radios..cool idea!:)

sampei
03-20-2010, 07:31 PM
argh screwed up the buttons, I realized they were too small and only had time to fix player one's...modeling time obviously 90 minutes :D
oh great entries by everybody so far

shrox
03-20-2010, 07:36 PM
90 minutes? I've got 43 minutes left then...

Iain
03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey Rudy and Sampei, great models!

I went with Cresshead's idea of a simple object with tons of cloned knobs...........

OnlineRender
03-21-2010, 01:53 PM
:rocks:

cresshead
03-21-2010, 02:09 PM

I went with Cresshead's idea of a simple object with tons of cloned knobs...........

knob-tastic! :lol:
...how many knobs?....all of 'em!

RudySchneider
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Took it a bit further. Decided to adjust the knob textures a bit,and created a dial of the amateur bands (an old hobby, using Visio of all things!). I'll see if I can gin something up for the panel, as well.

cresshead
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Took it a bit further. Decided to adjust the knob textures a bit,and created a dial of the amateur bands (an old hobby, using Visio of all things!). I'll see if I can gin something up for the panel, as well.

nice one! :thumbsup:

sampei
03-21-2010, 04:32 PM
stunning render as usual Iain :)
also very good stuff from mr Schneider !

shrox
03-21-2010, 04:33 PM

You guys with your linear arrays and your... your... your UV maps and stuff!

cresshead
03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
You guys with your linear arrays and your... your... your UV maps and stuff!

yeah i know...we're just a load of knobs eh! :D

shrox
03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
yeah i know...we're just a load of knobs eh! :D

Knobby kneed knobblehowzers...

RudySchneider
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Knobby kneed knobblehowzers...

I prefer to think of us as knoblemen!

OK, I think I'm done with this one for now...

Iain
03-24-2010, 05:57 AM
This week's is up early as I won't be around later.....................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1001412#post1001412

See you all there!:thumbsup:

JCG
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Wow, nobody has done this yet?
Too obvious?

shrox
03-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Wow, nobody has done this yet?
Too obvious?

That's just mean and awful. What did those kindly brass bells ever do to deserve such injustice!

Clever.

chco2
03-24-2010, 04:41 PM
wow, nobody has done this yet?
Too obvious?

looll :)

cresshead
03-25-2010, 09:06 PM
who won?

Kuzey
03-26-2010, 06:40 AM
who won?

That would be up to you :D

It's all objective and fun...I can see any one of them winning for different reasons!

Kuzey

Iain
03-26-2010, 07:18 AM
who won?

Most likely you but since you're judging, that might seem like a stitch up!

cresshead
03-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Most likely you but since you're judging, that might seem like a stitch up!

i'm judging?...oh i didn't know that!!:)

i'll have to have a close up look thru the models now then!

cresshead
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM
okay really difficult decision!!

great gaming models of the joy stick and the game cabinet...good clean workflows
loved the radio model too
the captain's chair was nice as well...good proportions in that model
the mixing desk was excellent work and profited well from reuse of basic building blocks to maximum effect in a final complicated looking result.
the iphone with 20's add on mouth and ear peice was a really good take on where some technology has lost it's way to some degree.

i love shrox's man/woman model as it shows great imagination at work and was pretty funny too commenting on the simple nature of understanding men vs the unsolvable puzzle/complex nature of the fairer sex... they're a mystery to many of us to this day!

so...for me i loved Shrox on/off switch and ball of dials!

well done shrox!

Kuzey
03-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Nice choice...that got me laughing too!

Well done Shrox :thumbsup:

Kuzey

RudySchneider
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Congrats, Shrox. Now all you need to do is exercise your marketing talents and product-ize that sucker! Heck, maybe something for MLMRs (multi-launch model rockets)?