PDA

View Full Version : Great opportunity

chco2
03-16-2010, 02:26 AM
Hiya folks!
I really thought you should know about the following initiative from William Shatner. He created a community website called myouterspace.com. Bit complicated to explain in full detail here, but bottom line is this:
myouterspace allows you to get noticed by professional people in the business for your 3D skills (or acting, singing, writing, etc..).
You register for free and you become a member of a world that most fits your skills. Present yourself, make friends and you might just get a chance to get on a starship, what basically means that you will be working on a project for tv or movies, mostly Scifi based.

Personally, I think this is one of the best initiatives in years!

Have a look : http://www.myouterspace.com
Check out the intro video from Captain Kirk ;)

And no.. I'm not involved in this project and earn no money whatsoever promoting this.. just sharing with you guys!

Cheers,
Charlot

chco2
03-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Just noticed following article as the main article for new on myouterspace.com:

--------------------------------------

There's been a lot of interest and discussion following our recent LightWave CORE announcement. Many of you are very excited about LightWave CORE, but you'd like more information; more details. So, let's dive a bit deeper into LightWave CORE. Our goal since beginning this direction over two years ago was to create a path of evolution that does not make you, our loyal customers, feel abandoned by facing a completely foreign workflow and UI (as has been the case for some other 3D apps in the past), yet through our LightWave CORE roadmap providing you with the best next-generation technology any current 3D app can provide. For now, our primary focus for LightWave CORE will be in the modeling environment. We have had so many ideas for modeling in the past, but we really needed the CORE architecture to take it to a whole new level. Of course, CORE is capable of anything, but we did need to start somewhere -- modeling was a good choice, and modeling will be the primary focus for the LightWave CORE release later this year.

From this point on, new purchases, upgrades and HardCORE memberships will be receiving LightWave CORE, which incorporates the new framework, engine and features. LightWave will be forever improving and you are a part of a significant moment in time, a time that can be looked back to one day and be recognized as the milestone when LightWave began its new path of evolution.

We will discuss specifics as we move along with the project. LightWave CORE is the new technology engine that will eventually completely supplant the current engine. Your mesh assets, image maps and some surfacing attributes will be accessible to LightWave CORE, but plug ins will not be. We will work with third parties to help guide them as they port their products over to LightWave CORE.
So what happens to the LightWave 9 series?

As you know, we recently shipped LightWave 9.6, and you've told us that it's, hands-down, the very best version of LightWave we've ever-shipped. Of course, no software product is ever perfect, so we will continue to support LightWave 9.x by providing technical support, and free bug-fix releases as deemed necessary by NewTek. However, we do not plan any new feature releases in the 9.x series. All the improvements that we have planned for LightWave will be offered as part of the HardCORE membership program.
We have a strong vision for what will make LightWave CORE the best 3D app on the planet, but we cannot do this without you: we plan to use the feedback we get from our HardCORE members and from our key account users to deliver that.
Many of you have already made the leap and joined our HardCORE program. Thank you very much for doing that. We truly appreciated the important contribution that many of you made in the 9.x Open Beta program, and we are looking forward to getting your input for LightWave CORE.

Some of you are still considering whether you should join the HardCORE program or not. I truly hope you will. Not only will you get early access to LightWave CORE technology, but you'll get to play a role in shaping our next generation 3D application.

Now, I would be remiss if I didn't point out that the HardCORE program is probably not for everyone. If you need to know in advance every detail of every feature we're going to deliver before you make your decision, then you should most definitely wait until we ship the first LightWave CORE version and we publish a final feature list.

Written by : William Shatner

SBowie
03-16-2010, 05:19 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that's simply one of the early posts by Jay Roth, quoted verbatim. The 'sig' was probably automatic...

chco2
03-16-2010, 05:25 AM
I thought so 2. Nevertheless.. good they have it on there.

StereoMike
03-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Cool idea. But the intro video gave me the eerie feeling, it was done by the same people, who did the lightwave core revelation video...

biliousfrog
03-16-2010, 06:15 AM
The video didn't work for me, it seems that a lot of new quicktime videos don't work lately, must be a codec thing.

The site itself just looks typically low-budget sci-fi and overly complicated and convoluted...Also, planets and spaceships...really?...the audience that the site is aimed at left school decades ago. It's exactly the type of site I'd expect to see featured on the Simpsons with Comicbook Guy in a Klingon costume.

Welcome Citizens of the Myouterspace United Planets.

The Counsel is now interviewing Industry Credited Producers for Starship Captain Positions.
Starship Captains’ and Officers’ responsibilities will be creating an original entertainment project, whether it be a live action film, animation, or stage production; and recruiting talent from the various Planets to become Starship Crew Members, who will be working alongside the Captain on his/her project.

The Starship Crew, under the Captain’s leadership, must prepare a fully developed presentation of the Ship’s project, complete with Art, Graphic Design, Characters, Story, Director and Music. The Captain will become Executive Producer, Officers will be Co-Producers, and the Crew will work on the project as Associate Producers.

Creative Talent, be sure to register on the planet that hosts your specialty, and you may be selected by a Captain to join his/her Starship Crew.

Visitors won't be able to participate on a Starship unless they become a citizen of a United Planet. I will be monitoring all Starship projects, and reviewing each Captain's Log, where progress will be recorded each step of the way.

The Captains will seek out new talent on the various Planets and build a winning team.

There are six Starships ready to crew-up and develop a dynamic entertainment production, so register now, participate and keep your eyes to the stars,

:rolleyes: Do you get a certificate, badge and bag of moon dust when you join?

lwaddict
03-16-2010, 08:39 AM
The site's graphics, downtime for movies, and overall presentation have me thinking that Shatner really pushed them into using "PriceLine.com" for just about everything.

With my luck, I'd end up under the command of some weirdo who'll only speak to us in Klingon.

Sorry Willy...
"no no no
I don't smoke it no more,
I'm tired of waking up on the floor.
no thank you please
it only makes me sneeze,
and then it makes it hard to find the door."
ROFLMAO

Shnoze Shmon
03-16-2010, 08:55 AM
If that place is nuts then it's good for squirrels.

Philbert
03-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I have trouble with Quicktime like on this site, but only because apple (apparently) refuses to make a 64 bit version so the broken one doesn't show any controls and I don't realize it's a quicktime video half the time. If I start clicking around in the space under the picture eventually I figure out where the play button is.

chco2
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I had the same problem.. just click on the arrow in the movie (I useally do get the 1st screen, but no other controls). If I click the arrow it starts playing.

Still like to concept though. I'll be speaking to John Eaves by phone later today to see if I can get some of his drawings to model for the community here.. Anyone interested?

I have trouble with Quicktime like on this site, but only because apple (apparently) refuses to make a 64 bit version so the broken one doesn't show any controls and I don't realize it's a quicktime video half the time. If I start clicking around in the space under the picture eventually I figure out where the play button is.

Philbert
03-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh I didn't have any luck with the arrow, maybe I didn't click it right.

chco2
03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
lol :)

Oh I didn't have any luck with the arrow, maybe I didn't click it right.

Shnoze Shmon
03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be speaking to John Eaves by phone later today to see if I can get some of his drawings to model for the community here.. Anyone interested?

Yeah!