PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 Plugins -> LW Core

myklgrant
03-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I'm new to LW and am wondering if there is any point in purchasing plugins. I assume they won't work with Core. Does anybody know which plugins
offer a free update to the Core?

Michael Grant

juniordebo
03-15-2010, 03:08 PM
That depends on what you are looking to do. Are you looking for Rendering, Animation, or CAD plug-ins?

Cheers,
Junior

hrgiger
03-15-2010, 03:13 PM
LWCAD is currently the only one I know of offering a free upgrade to current users to a CORE version.

Don't know about other developers but I've heard some talk, rumors mostly, about 3D Coat and Kray doing something with CORE.

myklgrant
03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Rendering mostly. I've looked at FPrime and it seems pretty indispensible but from what I've read the resident renderer in Core will pretty much replace it. I'm also interested in some of the shader plugins available.

Thanks for the heads up about LWCad. It's another plugin that looks like it is a "must-have".

Frankly I feel like I'm in limbo. I don't want to spend money for plugins that will have a limited life, yet my work would be so much easier/better with something like FPrime (and others) as part of the workflow.

Michael Grant

SplineGod
03-15-2010, 09:39 PM
If you need plugins I would do so. Core is a very long way off in terms of being useable. NT kind of shot themselves in the foot annoucning Core so early. I know a few people who have your same concerns. :)

hrgiger
03-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for your opinions Larry.

geo_n
03-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't buy any plugins right now. Though I did buy exrtrader recently because its just something you would use in each project not just some projects, like example I need this plantmaker or effectmaker,etc in this project. Lwcad is guaranteed core ugrade so thats good. For others I don't think its a good time to buy.

JamesCurtis
03-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I recommend that users get in touch with plugin vendors to ask them to consider making the plugin to work in Core. Also, support them by buying thier product as currently LWHC comes with Core and most plugs do seem to work there.

geo_n
03-16-2010, 12:28 AM
Bad advice. Plugin vendors need to eat too! If it's a plugin that you think you can REALLY use, contact the vendor and ask what the situation is with their plugin, 9.6 AND HardCore. THEN you will know much better.

Its sound advice. Don't get plugins you won't use now. And that also depends on what kind of projects you want to be working on in the future. Will they offer support in the future. That's the "others" I'm referring to.

geo_n
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
And you said this:

Again - BAD advice.

What *I* said.....

Meaning USE YOUR HEAD and find out before saying Yes or No.

Good advice. :thumbsup:

yes to needed now and supported or upgradeable plugins for core.
no to plugin collections hobby(for some people) and unsupported plugins for core.
crystal clear? :p

Lightwolf
03-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I recommend that users get in touch with plugin vendors to ask them to consider making the plugin to work in Core.
Well, speaking for ourselves here... the current plugins will certainly work with LWHC (which is effectively LW 10.0).

As for Core - we're really waiting for V1.0 to see what will actually make sense and what won't. Porting to Core will be just as much of an effort as porting to any other 3D package (which, frankly, is an option as well -> bigger market). And I suspect that anything but infiniMap (in our case) will be a lot more than just a port, more like a complete re-design and re-write.

We certainly won't be offering free upgrades though.

Cheers,
Mike

eduardbm
03-16-2010, 05:28 AM
If you are working in some project that will be benefit using these required plugins, in my oppinion you only need consider how much time you save and/or wich quality you boost using its. If there a big difference in time or quality you could consider buy it even these not will be portable to CORE for free.

myklgrant
03-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Thank-you all for your advice. This has been my first purchase of a major commercial app and I wasn't sure how helpful the community would be. This is great. Thanks again

Michael Grant

Chuck
03-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I'm new to LW and am wondering if there is any point in purchasing plugins. I assume they won't work with Core. Does anybody know which plugins
offer a free update to the Core?

Michael Grant

Hi, Michael!

Welcome to the LightWave community of users, and I hope that you will find LightWave enjoyable and productive for you! :)

For specific answers on which plugins will be updated for LWCORE and whether or not there will be an expense involved, it would be best to contact the plugin developers. A few have announced that they will be supporting LightWave CORE, and we have made sure to include as many active 3rd party developers in our beta programs for LWCORE as we've been able to locate and contact. Many of them have already spent time experimenting with the LWCORE SDK, and pretty much all have observed that it is working out very well even from the earliest stages of development. Some have even said it's actually fun to work in, and it's the only SDK they've ever felt that way about.

Many LightWave plugins that are compatible with the v9 series will be compatible with the new ordinal series of LightWave 3D that is part of the package with LWCORE. One caveat however is that the Mac code for both v9.6.1 and for LWHC has been redone to make LightWave a Cocoa application, and many Mac plugins will need to be redone as Cocoa themselves in order to work with Cocoa LightWave. Also note that even if a 32-bit Mac plugin still works with 32-bit Mac Cocoa LightWave, the plugin will need to be recompiled to work with the new 64-bit Mac LightWave that the Cocoa port, and the Leopard OS, made possible.

Again, welcome aboard!

jrandom
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, speaking for ourselves here... the current plugins will certainly work with LWHC (which is effectively LW 10.0).

Except for us Mac users since 9.6 is strictly 32-bit and Lightwave HC is 64-bit. I picked a weird time to get into Lightwave...

Lightwolf
03-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Except for us Mac users since 9.6 is strictly 32-bit and Lightwave HC is 64-bit. I picked a weird time to get into Lightwave...
HC is 32-bit and 64-bit. And we'll get the ports done eventually.

Cheers,
Mike

Cageman
03-16-2010, 06:00 PM
We certainly won't be offering free upgrades though.

LOL...

Except for InfiniMap (which is a very unique plugin), your plugins are almost free and with this comes stellar support and quality. :thumbsup:

LOL :)

What I just said may imply that InfiniMap is expensive and comes without stellar support and quality. What I meant was, of course, that while it is more expensive than the rest of your plugins (for an obvious reason!), the stellar support and quality still comes with it! :)

Or so I believe....

You see... since I actually don't own a lic for InfiniMap, I can, of course be wrong, but I'm most certain that InfiniMap customers are treated as fair as any other customer of DB&W (http://www.db-w.com/).

And now, some people may see this as me being sarcastic towards DB&W with the help of sarcasm, but I'm NOT.

exrTrader simply rocks! (and even more so with LWHC and Janus (http://janus.faulknermano.com/)).

Thanks Mike and Dagmar! :) ... (and Lernie)

:)

Lightwolf
03-16-2010, 06:12 PM
And now, some people may see this as me being sarcastic towards DB&W with the help of sarcasm, but I'm NOT.
This is also not a paid for advertisement :D

And now both I and Mikael better shut up ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Chuck
03-16-2010, 06:31 PM

As noted in my post, v9.6.1 is also in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Edit: Well actually, now that's clearly noted, would actually have been tough to figure out in my original wording here, though the information is posted in many other locations on the board already, and has been for some time.