PDA

View Full Version : surface missing from surface editor?

3dWannabe
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I've got the gallery model loaded from

http://www.except.nl/lightwave/scenes/index.htm

When I look at the surface editor in modeler, I can see one 'Glas' surface.

If, while selecting one of the glass objects I open the 'Change Surface' dialog and look at the available surfaces, I don't see 'Glas' but do see 'Glassssculpture1 and 2'.

The Poly info screen shows the 'Glassssculpture2' surface for the selected polys.

1. Why don't the two 'Glassssculpture1 and 2' surfaces show up in the surface editor, and why doesn't the 'glas' surface show as one of the choices in 'Change Surface'?

2. Is there an easy way to tell which surface in the surface editor corresponds to which object or part of an object?

SplineGod
03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
load it into modeler and hit the w key to bring up the statistics panel. Pick the surface and it will select the polys with that surface attached. :)

3dWannabe
03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Larry - I can find the polys for a surface using your technique.

Thanks!

But, I'm still confused as to why I can see a surface listed in that list like 'Glassssculpture2', but it does not show up in the surface editor. All the other surfaces seem to?

pdp editor
03-14-2010, 08:38 PM
maybe the surfaces were applied using nodes, yep i see the edite nodes box has a check mark next to it. Check that out. This got me a few times as well

3dWannabe
03-14-2010, 09:56 PM
maybe the surfaces were applied using nodes, yep i see the edite nodes box has a check mark next to it. Check that out. This got me a few times as well

The 'bench' surface shows up in the Surface Editor list. The surfaces I'm after are the 'Glasssculpture1 & 2'.

If they have a surface set (shows up in the Change Surface), and using SplineGod's technique and can select the polys using the surface in statistics, shouldn't they show up in the Surface Editor (where the surface itself could be Nodal)?

I think I'm missing something very obvious/