PDA

View Full Version : After Effects motion data

Beamtracer
09-08-2003, 09:32 PM
•Translating motion files between Lightwave and Adobe After Effects is sorely needed, and a long sort after feature request.

•Most other 3D apps already have this functionality with After Effects (for example, Maya natively, Cinema4D via a Maxon plug-in) and they've been able to do it for a long time now.

•We shouldn't have to rely on clunky 3rd party solutions that either don't work or are difficult to use (ie Transmotion)

•AE6 has only just been released, and doesn't have the ability to import LW motion files. This means that the only way we are going to get it is if Newtek creates the translator, rather than Adobe.

•Compositing 3D elements is such a basic feature these days, it should be given priority

•Despite the recent DXF+ promotion, After Effects is still the most popular compositing application used by Lightwavers.

lasco
09-09-2003, 02:43 AM
Yes yes yes !!!!

I support this request !

I'm currently making a test on a scene rendered
with radiosity (animation) and expect to composite reflection
and motion blur in AFX.
Reflections can work correctly with buffers but for motion
blur it's more difficult as we don't get any motion (direction) data in AFX…

It's too bad to be so close to a solution that could divide your rendering
time by 10 and not being able to finish the project.

This only "little" adding to LW could solve the rendering time issues
for 3/4 of cases in architectural animations for example (link this
thread to the "Architecture - Radiosity rendering…" one)
as you could render in LW an AA Low without MB instead of a
AA High or Extreme with MB !!!

By the way we also need improvements on the following buffers exports :

•_Z buffer : big issue with this one is due to the fact that the its grayscale
is relative to the items in the scene while when using grey levels as masks
to create motion blur or DOF in AFX you need ABSOLUTE values.
Assume you have an object in the background of your scene at frame 0 and
that it disappears (or is simply hidded by another one) at frame 1,
you'll see that in the depth buffer image all the grayscale is "translated"
from one frame to the other. If for example at frame 0 a surface that is at 10 meters of the camera gives a grey of 127 in the buffer at frame 1 this
same surface will give you a value of 150 !

• shadow buffers : could be have possibility to export shadows of different lights
separately (in a similar way that the Surface special buffer).

Alliante
09-10-2003, 07:19 AM
I'd like to voice in my support for this as well! :)

Beamtracer
10-31-2003, 07:29 PM
Is Lightwave an application aimed at professionals or enthusiastic amateurs?

If LW is a professional app, why isn't integration with After Effects a priority?

Lightwave must have integration with popular compositing apps if it is to be considered a professional 3D application.

LW8 must support this or it risks slipping into the amateur category.

Halsu
11-02-2003, 04:38 PM
I'm actually currently working on a LScript that exports 3d data from LW to AE.

At this point, my script exports position and rotation data - it works for most parts but it's still flaky.

The script will be included in the next version of my PlugPak, if i get it to work correctly.

There's a slight problem in the AE end: So far the only reasonable way i've found to import 3d data to ae (i have 5.x i recall) is to use clipboard. So, my script creates a text file, and the user will need to copy/paste the content to AE. Also, the camera properties in AE need to be set manually.

If someone knows of a better way to do this, i'm all ears... i guess that could be done as an AE plugin, but that's a whole new issue.

Halsu
11-02-2003, 04:42 PM
Here's the interface

Future plugpak stuff preview (http://eki.3dfightclub.com/BETA/Screenshots/Preview.html)

...first in the page. There's other stuff i'm working on there too (can't promise everything seen here will make it to the next version of Plug- and modPaks, but most should ;-)

Beamtracer
11-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Hi Eki,

This is wonderful! It's very exciting that you're working on a motion exporter to After Effects. Would I be right to assume that because it is an Lscript it will be cross-platform compatible? (I use Mac OSX)

You said you're using the clipboard to export data to AE. Doesn't AE have its own new motion file format these days? I guess you must have found problems with using this.

AE6 also has Javascript support. Would this be of use?

It amazes me that Newtek hasn't considered it a priority to include After Effects motion integration. How can you do professional looking 3D work without compositing?

Eki, you should sell this Lscript back to Newtek and get paid a lot of money for it!

Mylenium
11-02-2003, 11:25 PM
Well, using the clipboard is a way, but not a very convenient and practical one.... I'd alsp prefer something using the new JavaScript functionalities in AE 6. Still, the best way would be using Maxon's AEC format - there is no reason not to. The docs are freely available, Maxon takes care of the AE plugs and somwhere out there there must be a programming guy who's able to do a LW plug as well.

Mylenium

Halsu
11-03-2003, 02:19 AM
Beam: Yep, it should work with macs.

To be honest, i'm using the clipboard simply because that's the only way i knew of when i started writing the script ;-)

...and that's still the case. I only have AE 5.5. Can't remember seeing AEC import there. No JavaScript support either AFAIK. I may be upgrading sometime later, but untill then i need something that will work with AE 5.5.

Scott Gammans
11-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Halsu this is great! Thank you!

I still want to add my voice to the chorus of uses who want AE motion data support in LW.

Mylenium
11-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, just read the news about Cinema4D. Personally I'm done with C4D but still keep an eye on them. with 8.5 they have become even more comping-friendly. Time to wake up, NT!

lookilooki:

http://www.maxon.com

Mylenium

Beamtracer
11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Yes, I must admit I feel a bit jealous knowing that Cinema4D and Maya have long had the ability to exchange motion data with After Effects.

Eki... on Adobe's support pages they have a downloadable plug-in to enable use of the Adobe Motion Exchange format (.amx) in After Effects 5.5.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=13&platform=Macintosh
This link is for the Mac downloads page. There is an alternate Windows download page. I'm not sure whether or not you can view this. It may require a password or registration.

3d user
11-10-2003, 01:08 AM
For exchanging motion data with LW and other check out
www.datamike.com/nuutti.htm

Halsu
11-10-2003, 03:20 AM
Thanks Beam - i'll look into those.

Nuutti looks good too...

tburbage
11-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Assume you know about Al Street's LW->compositing app work?

http://www.ats-3d.com/transmot/

Beamtracer
03-07-2004, 09:09 PM
It's sad that Lightwave 8 doesn't seem to exchange motion data with Adobe After Effects.

Lightwave has been left behind in this area, while other 3D apps have had the feature for years. Instead, the focus is on DFX+ and Aura.

After Effects is the original compositing app, and still the most popular one. It has much more professional acceptance than DFX+.

We need a cross platform plug-in to exchange After Effects AMX motion data format, without having to manually enter data, or cut and past data.