PDA

View Full Version : Core Priorities?

PabloMack
03-14-2010, 09:19 AM
Hi LW users,

I have been researching the field of CGI software technologies to find the best implementations for what I want to do with 3D. The products are all over the place. The uses of these products are so extremely diverse that it looks like the industry may be in for a specialization shakedown. Is there anywhere that the LW Core development team has listed its priorities for Core? I am not interested in cartoony Pixar-like animation. I want the 100% realistic look offered by Terragen 2 and XFrog as observed in nature. Just yesterday I was saying to my wife that I would like to have a plant-building software package where the development team inter-acted with experienced botanists to come up with a really comprehensive package. I just discovered that Greenworks (the makers of XFrog) did exactly that. I am afraid that getting a bunch of computer geek 3D artists together to write software to just make stuff look good isn't going to cut the mustard. XFrog was built from experienced people who know how plants really grow. But XFrog has chosen to support only C4D and Maya as plugin host apps for their 4.X versions while I just upgraded to LW 9.6 and don't have limitless money, time and energy to support multiple platforms. I also get the impression that LW rendering is definitely not the best when it comes to realistic atmospheric effects, water and such. Can anyone give some insights into the LW Core development team's priorities?

hrgiger
03-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Did you read the tech FAQ's page for CORE? http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/techfaq.php

Achieving realistic atmospheric qualities such as water has less to do with rendering and more to do with volumetric handling. Lightwave's renderer is more then capable of rendering high quality effects but its particle/hypervoxel system is not suited to realistic liquid interactions. Of course, you can always use a specialized package like RealFlow or a free application like Blender to do liquids and render them inside of Lightwave.

As far as CORE goes, it is supposed to be a unified dynamics environment where all forces will be able to interact which would be quite something. CORE will use a dynamics system based on the Bullet library. Not sure when it will be available but the Bullet library is getting liquids.

wsi
03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
For now - and the following year(s) - don't count on Core to delivery you anything production-ready in the field of simulating liquids. Till then, use Blender in conjunction with common Lightwave. There is a really good plugin for blender/lightwave fluid import:
http://www.splotchdog.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=39

Lightwave isn't the best in simulating fluid dynamics, but it's really good at rendering water and the like. It's shader tree is really powerfull and the GI settings are nearly foolproof ;-)

Regarding plants, you could use xFrog, as it supports .lwo., in conjunction with Lightwave. Although it propably won't transfer any animations.

I for myself use OnyxTree and really like it's ease-of-use.
But maybe you better look at this WIP of mine. (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106713) Consider it's far from perfect and still heavy work in progress.

Soth
03-15-2010, 08:24 AM
For now - and the following year(s) - don't count on Core to delivery you anything production-ready in the field of simulating liquids. Till then, use Blender in conjunction with common Lightwave.
It might do, if simulation side will come from Bullet, they just got AMD backup. ;)

RebelHill
03-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Core will (eventually)... be just like all the other major apps, an all rounder. For specific/specialsed needs such as you ask for, everythings gonna require a separate package/plugin.

hrgiger
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
For now - and the following year(s) - don't count on Core to delivery you anything production-ready in the field of simulating liquids.

Well, we really don't know how soon fluids might come to CORE. As I said, Bullet is implmenting fluid dynamics and there's always the possibilitiy that a third party might do it. But yes, until we know otherwise, it's probably best not to count on it.