PDA

View Full Version : One button deselect

meshmaster
09-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Deselect all with one button would be nice since I'm constantly moving between point and poly modes. Right now I keep leave point stat window open to just hit the minus sign next to total. It'd be cool if you could assign that minus sign a keyboard or mouse shortcut! :)

Elmar Moelzer
09-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Hmm, you know that you can simply click into an empty space in your interface to deselect all?
CU
Elmar

Earl
09-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Well, if you don't have a tool selected, the Drop Current Tool command will deselect everything. I use this as a deselect hotkey. In my normal workflow, I select points, use some tools on them, press space to deselect the tool, then press the Drop Current Tool hotkey to deselect the points - which I've assigned it to / {forward slash} for easy access near the Space bar - that way the extra arm movement to reach empty space is eliminated from my modeling.

Earl
09-08-2003, 09:53 PM
However, I agree that a command to deselect the tool and the points in one keystroke would be even better. Hence the benefit of adding macros to LightWave!

meshmaster
09-08-2003, 10:10 PM
It'd be nice to have deselect/select point attached to selected polys or deselect/selcet polys attached to selected points so that you basically will have the same things selected when you jump from one mode to the other.

smee
09-08-2003, 11:42 PM
i bound one of the keys of my mouse to the / so that its quick deselect.

evenflcw
09-09-2003, 03:09 AM
For conversions between polygon selection and point selection (and alot more) I would suggest you get David Ikedas PowerTools. It has a function called Selection Switch which will do exactly this. (www.davidikeda.com (http://www.davidikeda.com))

Also, personally I would suggest one alter the menues alittle so selection functions are easily available at all times and not "hidden" under one of the tabs. I've moved most things to do with altering selection down to the bottom bar and feel it's such a natural setup that I think NT should make it the default. But maybe that's just me :)

Earl
09-09-2003, 10:05 AM
oooh! Convert selection! Very nice! I've added that to my keyboard shortcuts!

Indeed, NewTek really should add these simple yet effective plugins to their standard toolset. If they did that, and put them intelligently on the interface, I think everyone would be happy (especially newer users!). The disorganized feel that LW has with all of the scattered tools and plugins tends to turn new users off. I can't say how many people I've heard talk about not wanting to use LW's modeler, yet they were so impressed by other modelers (we won't mention m*d*'s name) - and the majority of their arguments could easily be thwarted by LW if the extra/free plugins/tools were integrated and placed in well-thought out locations.

Alan Daniels
09-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by meshmaster
Deselect all with one button would be nice since I'm constantly moving between point and poly modes. Right now I keep leave point stat window open to just hit the minus sign next to total. It'd be cool if you could assign that minus sign a keyboard or mouse shortcut! :)

I read this in an old thread, something along the lines of "share your favorite tips!": To instantly deselect everything, just slam your mouse all the way over to the right edge of the screen, and click on that one- or two-pixels worth of border. Better than trying to aim for empty space on the left-hand toolbar anyway. Once I learned this tip, haven't used anything since.

For what it's worth, I do wish that I could tie the "escape" key to mean "drop the current tool, and unselect everything as well". Then again I'm an old VI diehard, so slapping escape comes naturally to me. :)

Nemoid
09-15-2003, 12:56 PM
agree totally.
that's what i mean when i talk about workflow.
tools and functions have to be placed in logic places, as well as great plugins hav e to be integrated or even substitute some current tool.:)

jb_gfx
09-16-2003, 08:19 AM
Did you noticed how LW 7.5 b & c tends to crash when you click on an empty area of the menu to deselect points & polys? Or maybe it's just on my system..

Nemoid
09-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Maybe. never heard of this prob in c.
no prob here in classic 7.5a I know that many people swithed back to it from c because of some prob.:rolleyes: its quite a frustrating thing, but it was a free upgrade too.