PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Realflow

Paul_Boland
03-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Folks.

Just been looking at some animations on YouTube of Lightwave and Realflow working together and I really like it. I went to the Realflow website to check it out but am not entirely sure how the two packages work together. I can see that there is a Lightwave plugin for Realflow but what's it like? Does Realflow become intergrated into Lightwave (like Vue Xtreme) or is it just an export option (like Quidam)? Also, while the videos on YouTube are impressive, what are the results like when working with it? How do the two packages work together?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Ernest
03-13-2010, 10:38 PM
It integrates sort of in the middle between Vue Infinite and Vue XStream. You can easily export objects to Realflow. Create the simulation in Realflow. Save. Use the plugin and now the saved simulation works inside LW Layout.

lwaddict
03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
The way we use RealFlow with Lightwave is as follows...

Create your scene in Lightwave...

Export simple mesh versions of the items needed for collision, dynamics, etc... each as a separate item....

Import those items into RealFlow...

Create the simulation to your liking...

Export the mesh sequence from RealFlow...

Import into Lightwave as a sequence using the RealFlow plugs...
(you can use the low poly objects to align the RealFlow liquid, smoke, etc in your scene)

Texture, test, adjust for blur/etc...

Save.

Sounds like a lengthy process but it's not really and you'll overlook it when you see the results. Just freakin' amazing.

Oh, last thing, don't forget to pay attention to the scale of your objects in your scene and again in RealFlow... it matters... A LOT. For instance, water pouring from a glass onto a table 1 foot below it does not splash like the ocean gushing through a porthole into a full scale hallway.

Paul_Boland
03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Great stuff, thanks for the replies, answers my questions exactly.

shaun_michael
03-19-2010, 05:04 AM
... and a nice new plugin has recently been released with some major enhancements over previous versions, such as:-

Ability to export LW particles to realflow
Importing realflow particles to Layout as partigons or hypervoxels
Shader Node to access Realflow-generated particle attributes such as pressure, age, velocity, neighbors etc
Scanning bin file range to access max and min particle attributes (for accurate gradient settings etc)
Create keys imported for RBD objects on an object by object basis

The beta version (not yet released) includes the ability to export your model's vertices as Realflow Particles and import then to RF also, as well as some speed increases.

What we haven't been able to do a great deal of testing on is netwrok rendering, so if any of you guys have a farm you'd like to test this plugin on, please do and let us know how it works, and how to improve it.

Shaun