PDA

View Full Version : Do i need an external waveform ?

eBrito
09-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Finally my VT is comming. I'll get it this week.
The vendor are send me a lot of things like camcorders, tripods, video monitors and other stuffs.

But he also is sending a Waveform/Vectorscope.
Do I need that?

I'm studing about VT a long time and I know it has a built in waveform.

I'll use the VT to live and post production.

Thanks

Jim Capillo
09-09-2003, 04:19 AM
Use it - it certainly won't hurt. I have both an external WF and VS on line and now rarely use the built in scopes..... it saves on system resources. If you have an older PC for a host, it might make a difference for you during playback.

eBrito
09-09-2003, 11:23 AM
i think system resources wont be a problem for me because i'm geting a new Xeon (dual processor).
but as you told me, i think i'll let it come.

Thanks

ted
09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Make sure you know how to use it!;)
I'm constantly getting source material from people that doesn't follow any broadcast standards!
Also, are you going to have it upstream or downstream from the VT?

eBrito
09-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks Ted.

Actually, I'm not an expert in this thing :D
I'm looking for tutorials, texts, books... something that could help me to handle it well and get a better quallity for our videos.

I'm also don't understand well broadcast standards.

Let me tell you what i have:
Video Toaster 3, 3 Sony VX-2000 camcorders, one 14" Sony monitor (for program), four 4" LCD monitors (for camera preview), one external Waveform/Vectorscope, 01 Video Distributor 1x20, 20 VHS VCR's, 1 DV Recorder, 1 DVD Recorder.

I use non linear workstations a long time, with softwares like discreet combustion, after effects, premiere and 3d max but now i have to play with this new equipment.

We will send ours videos to TV and need a good quality.

Don't you know some web site or books where can i find some information about broadcast standards and how to use a waveform?

Thanks

Paul Lara
09-10-2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by eBrito
Don't you know some web site or books where can i find some information about broadcast standards and how to use a waveform?

You could always pick up a copy of Video Demystified (http://www.video-demystified.com/)