PDA

View Full Version : And the journey begins... My first demo reel

probiner
03-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, finally going job hunting :D

Will use this video these days, so just checking out here if there's any screaming bad stuff going on before i show it to potential employers.

I'll be looking for frame-by-frame drawn work (paper or computer), since i still have so much to learn about animation and i think in 3D i'll lose myself with other matters than animation.

Critiques please.

Thank you

Ps: I here apoligize to Mr. Yann Tiesen for what i did to his great music -_-'

sampei
03-11-2010, 04:49 AM
hey I'm kinda in your same position, my showreel has to be done 8 weeks from now, a scary thought indeed :D
anyway, I watched it a couple of time and I overall liked it a lot, some of the stuff in it is really cool and it has personality.
However I feel there's an overall lack of specific direction in the reel: the first half shows some really interesting stuff but maybe too abstract for employers to base an assessment on. In practice, since you're going for an animation job (I'm guessing?) shouldn't you be opening the reel with more basic stuff in order to demonstrate knowledge of the principles of animation, basic stuff like walk cycles, runs, etc. etc. We all read the illusion of life, I'm talking about that stuff.
In the second half the 3d animation looks solid, the fighter stances/move work really well (love the electricity from the hands, that part reminded me of virtua fighter for some reason) and the cat running also is cool, but in the lip synch I'd imagine hearing the voice sound clip to see you matched it and as for the chicken thing with rayman feet it feels a bit random.
Overall I would probably restructure it having the 3d animation and rigging (which also looks impressive, but I'm no expert as my rigging so far has been very basic as IK/FK blends&IKbooster) at the beginning and the more abstract stuff at the end. The compositing works really well but again I'm not too much of an expert when it comes to this subject.
The flip book looks real nice but everything is quite fast and its kinda hard to figure out what's going on.
Anyway I'll stop here, don't take any of the above personally as they're just opinions of someone that is still a student withouth any work experience, and I'm sure there's people that will give you more valueable feedback.
Again, nicely done. I think if you keep at it you have a future in the industry for sure :thumbsup:

UnCommonGrafx
03-11-2010, 05:06 AM
That reminded me of many of the little snippets of cartoons that PBS used to show. I really liked the presentation. Lots of great ideas in there and well blended.
Only thing I didn't see, but now would be interested in seeing, is how you could blend your 3d work with your 2d sketching. Perhaps that would be a selling point should you have opportunity to sell yourself.
Good luck in your search.

SplineGod
03-11-2010, 05:58 AM
What sort of job are you after? :)

probiner
03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
@sampei
Thanks for your critiques. You are correct about your analisys.
-I do not have a direction: this is the video that will be in my animation section in the website, so i needed to have a piece with an overall look. And here in Portugal, specialized job is rare, we have no industry. So since i'm starting and this is the only stuff i got out of college, i'll just show it all and let others filter .
-I do not have samples of showing knowledge of principles of animation, because i have done them in college, but guess what they didn't come out great and they are even smaller cycles than the loops i show in the reel. But anyway i think you are correct, i should probably now do some cycles of my own (both drawn and 3D) and put insert them there.
- I agree with you, the chicken is random (but i find it so cute...) and the lipsync is mute and long (not to forget that the animation is not great). I'll probably cut the chicken and and put just a glympse of the lipsync
- As for the structure, i get you. I was going to do it the way you are saying, 3D first and the rest in the end, but... the music "says" otherwise xD

@UnCommonGrafx
Thanks for the tip. Actually many of my 2D stuff have 3D inputs, like the last images, or even the chairs. But i understand your point, in make that explicit, showing the ability to mix techs to bring ideas to life.

@SplineGod
Like a student out of college i wish to keep learning while doing something for real :) So anything about drawing, animation or modeling that makes me grow in knowledge along side with experimentation it will be great.
For now, i'll just try my luck with frame-by-frame animation since it's an old dream and if i don't try it now, i don't know when...
Like i said before, we don't have an industry here in Portugal, but we do have a lot of small studios producing short films rich in experimentation. So i'll probably do something like, animation, in between, line up, stuff like that. But hey, i'm not droping 3D; i just need to think out of the box.
But to answer preety straight to your question; I just hope to find a place where i can use my feelings and my head to bring good stuff to life. (edit: this is not that straight is it? :D)

Cheers

(Edit: Well with all the critiques i got, i'll probably cut it down to 1m40s-2m)

dandeentremont
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
You could probably post the first half of that reel as an abstract short film. Also the flip book looks very realistic; the only thing that gave it away was the fact that it was flipping itself. :)

probiner
03-15-2010, 06:06 PM
@ Olivier
Thanks =)

@dandeentremont
Many ppl said that about the first half ehehe. I must confess it was the one i gave more attention too... maybe i should change the music in the middle and try to have the same attention with the 3D part.
LOL about the flipbook, good to know. Again thanks for the support on that one.

(Anyway, applying in a balanced way the tips i recieved :D)

Cheers

raygraph
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Good work, My only comment relates to the timing of the work as a whole. Some of the hand drawn portions could be slowed down a bit. The images move by so quickly it appears you are trying to mask the quality of your drawings. One thing I have learned over the years (I have been out of college and working as a graphic artist for close to 15 years) is to show confidence in your work. Don't apologize for your work, it shows a lack of confidence. I think your reel is a good start. I probably speak for many who are in an art related field when I say that we are all constantly looking for ways to improve our own demo reel or portfolio. It should be an ongoing process, if it weren't, it would mean we have become stagnant. Keep up the good work.