PDA

View Full Version : For those Looking to Move to Windows 7 from XP or 2000

MiniFireDragon
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Grr, sorry if you read this twice, posted in wrong community 1st:

All I got to say is:

http://www.laplink.com/

I have used the program twice and mmmmyyyyy gosh.... reinstall what?

Yesterday I just took someone's PC from Windows 2000 to Windows 7 Ultimate. I didn't have any problems using PCMover upgrade assistant on windows 2000 either, despite what it says.

And no, you can't upgrade with it. It does require a clean install, but this program will move the programs and data from the old system to the new one.

I am about to take my home box to Windows 7.

kurv
03-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the information... I am about to move my main machine over as well and this is my editing, LW, web dev computer so I am a little apprehensive...

So I have a few questions for you...

You get a little boost in HD performance with a clean install, in fact I try to do a clean install about once a year. You know clean out the registry, get rid of all the c$%& you installed and did not like... and uninstalled.

Do you think this program brings all that stuff back over..? I like the 20 dollar price and time saving of not having to install everything all over... but what I used to do was... install the largest files, like Office, Adobe Suite, ect... and run disk defrag after each install, then move on to the next app.

What do you think..?

kurv
03-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I actually bought the disk image tool as well so I can make an image of my PC now... in case there is an issue... and go back and have a running PC quickly :)

Great advice sir!! Thanks!!

MiniFireDragon
03-11-2010, 01:39 PM
When you run PCMover, you can choose to move over applications. So, that means to me, that know, it doesn't take the entire registry with it. I know it doesn't take the hardware registry. And you can also select the user profiles that goto Windows 7.

MiniFireDragon
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Oh, and for diskimaging:

www.runtime.org

There DriveXML is free for home use. It's a disc imaging software with image options:

RAW (gets all the 1's and 0's)
or Just the used section of the drive.

I like it.

kurv
03-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Saweet!!!!! Thank you!!!

MiniFireDragon
03-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok, I just finished installing Windows 7 on my Home PC using PCMover. It was a near flawless move with 2 acceptions. The key issue is, I was using Windows XP (32) and am now using Windows 7 (64)

As those who have gone to 64 may know, the normal Program Files directory now becomes Program Files (x86). Well, any software using configs that are not registry loaded, will break.

This was the case with my apache and MySQL information. Other then that I haven't really had any problems.

Since

MiniFireDragon
03-13-2010, 11:41 AM
And for those with adobe products, I recommend not unchecking Flex in your programs list as it is required to keep adobe working on windows 7.... ooops.