PDA

View Full Version : snow leopard OK?

Archigram
03-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I know this question has been kicked around but don't see any clear answers for my configuration:
MacPro Core Duo, running LW 9.6 (mac32) on OS 10.5.8

Will i be likely to run into problems if I upgrade to Snow Leopard?

many thanks for facts and opinions.

3dworks
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
no problems here, running it a while already with LW 9.6, maxwell 2, PS CS3, formz 6.6... the only absent (until now) tool i was using frequently with 10.5.x is the excellent applejack. networking performance is much smoother with SL.

Archigram
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks, maybe I'll go ahead and take the plunge...

gordonp
03-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Archigram, please keep us posted on how it works out.
I have a Quad Core Mac Pro that I should update. And since I just cleared a couple large projects, now would be the time.

Gordon

JeffrySG
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Yep, I've been holding off until some of my projects clear away, but I'm always weary of upgrading until I'm sure I'll be able to run without issues.

gschrick
03-22-2010, 04:43 AM
Those of you who did install Snow Leopard, did you have to reinstall LW?

I just purchased Snow Leopard and was going to install it after I did a Time Machine backup of my entire Mac HD (just in case). I'm just wondering if there's a lot of rebuilding after upgrading, especially since I have some Chryon installed applications that I really would like to remain intact.

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Modeler is incredibly slow on my snow leopard MAC...

gschrick
03-22-2010, 06:26 AM
I read on your other post about Modeler that you are using 9.6.1. Do you have the same issues with 9.6 under Snow Leopard?

rsfd
03-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Usually do clean installs with full re-installs when switching to a newer OSX version.
With SnowLeopard I did only an upgrade.
Had and have no problems, everything just worked (exept eye-one match calibration software: needed to install Rosetta)
9.6.1 Modeler performs as good as 9.6, I don't see any slow-down (exept those which are usual e.g. cc-subD on HighPoly objects).
9.6.1 has other issues and will need some more developing time until it's good to use, but it's getting better with each build.

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2010, 07:27 AM
I read on your other post about Modeler that you are using 9.6.1. Do you have the same issues with 9.6 under Snow Leopard?

I'll check it for you.

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Awesome! 9.6 32bit works fast and smooth!

4dartist
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
There are dual monitor problems (disappearing buttons when dragging panels from one screen to another that come back when you pass over the buttons with your mouse). There are also some issues with save/load/import/export they don't remember where you last saved. Random seed for some procedurals still exists, not sure if it's SL related, but each computer or load of the scene will possibly create a new seed and look different. (mainly just perlin noise ones).

edit: Thought of another.. save/load/import/export/open dialogue opens on your secondary monitor. (if you have one) Extremely annoying, but not show stopping as they say. You can get it back to the primary, but if you ever move it over it'll stick to the other monitor and persist to keep to that side.

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2010, 08:59 AM
There are dual monitor problems (disappearing buttons when dragging panels from one screen to another that come back when you pass over the buttons with your mouse). There are also some issues with save/load/import/export they don't remember where you last saved. Random seed for some procedurals still exists, not sure if it's SL related, but each computer or load of the scene will possibly create a new seed and look different. (mainly just perlin noise ones).

edit: Thought of another.. save/load/import/export/open dialogue opens on your secondary monitor. (if you have one) Extremely annoying, but not show stopping as they say. You can get it back to the primary, but if you ever move it over it'll stick to the other monitor and persist to keep to that side.

On my mac the open save stuff opens on my first monitor. Maybe you need to delete your config files? Also I've no problems with the buttons disappearing. Maybe that is videocard related?

4dartist
03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
What mac do you have and video card?

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

3DGFXStudios
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
What mac do you have and video card?

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB

I've got the same one as you describe above only I got a geforce 285gtx...:) Could be a ATI thing. On my colleague's mac which is exactly the same one as you have I get very small fonts. His mac has only one screen so I can't check the dual monitor issues.

4dartist
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Ya, I bet you are right about the graphics card. I wonder if I can update it.. I'll check that.

gschrick
03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
I just installed Snow Leopard and I have yet to experience any display or performance issues with LW. In fact I've had no issues with any software. My Adobe bridge (CS4) seemed to need to reindex the library, but that was about all.

I am very impressed with the Snow Leopard as an OS. There used to be some serious network lag time when saving files to our Chyron still store. It's dramatically faster now.